GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on selling 2016 MK7 GTI to purchase 2020 MK7.5?

azrunner

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm pondering selling my 2016 Autobahn (38,000 miles) MT with PP to purchase a 2020 MK7.5. I'm happy with my 2016 and could foresee driving it a few more years. I don't find the MK8 GTI very appealing. Would the MK7.5 offer significant improvements to make a change worthwhile? I want to stick with a manual. From my search, it looks like I'd need to travel out of state to find an Autobahn. That would necessitate selling my MK7 privately. There are a few MT MK7 SE's locally I could try to swing a trade for. Are there options the 2020 SE lacks that I might miss compared with my 2016 Autobahn? The idea of a fresh warranty and coverd service is also appealing. Does anyone who went from a MK7 to MK7.5 feel it wasn't worth the change? Has anyone gone from an MK7 Autobahn to an MK7.5 SE and not been disappointed?

cb1111

I'm pondering selling my 2016 Autobahn (38,000 miles) MT with PP to purchase a 2020 MK7.5. I'm happy with my 2016 and could foresee driving it a few more years. I don't find the MK8 GTI very appealing. Would the MK7.5 offer significant improvements to make a change worthwhile? I want to stick with a manual. From my search, it looks like I'd need to travel out of state to find an Autobahn. That would necessitate selling my MK7 privately. There are a few MT MK7 SE's locally I could try to swing a trade for. Are there options the 2020 SE lacks that I might miss compared with my 2016 Autobahn? The idea of a fresh warranty and coverd service is also appealing. Does anyone who went from a MK7 to MK7.5 feel it wasn't worth the change? Has anyone gone from an MK7 Autobahn to an MK7.5 SE and not been disappointed?
The pull of a new car is always strong and the new one will drive nicer than your old one, but you'd have to run the numbers - now is a great time to sell a used car.

The covered services are no big deal - last year they were sold as a $215 option, but a fresh (and slightly better) warranty are a good thing.

The big differences between the SE and Autobahn are
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
  • DCC® adaptive chassis control
  • 8" touchscreen navigation system
  • Park Pilot/Assist
  • Manual vs Climatronic
so you'll need to decide if those features make a difference for you. The DCC will affect driving dynamics.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

If your car is paid off, do all the maintenance and drive it. I have a buddy with a mk7 Autobahn and I have a 19 Rabbit. I couldn't see buying mine if I had a paid off mk7, unless you've had reliability issues with it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Well, looking on AutoTrader nationwide, comparable cars to yours are selling for $18k - $20k from various dealers. Let's assume you'd be able to sell your car for $18k private party. Looking nationwide again, new 2020 Autobahns are listed around $33k. Even if you negotiate them down to $30k, you're still paying in the ballpark of $12k+ to upgrade.

Now, it's not my car and not my money, but that sounds like a colossal waste of money to me. While they do have their differences, they're too similar for me to think it'd be worthwhile.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Since you’re getting a manual, I do not believe it is worth it. If you wanted the 7-speed DSG, I’d say that’s the ONLY thing that would make it “worth” it. The 7-speed is pretty awesome

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
This is an unpopular opinion but assuming you are financially sound and are able to to, I think it maybe worth it.
reliability: At this stage of production, most of the major problems are resolved from an engineering standpoint. So w.e teething problem that had occur on the initial production should be resolved by now.
If your car is giving you issues then it wouldn’t be the end of the world to trade in and get a nice warranty. But like everyone else here have already stated, that’s a lot of money for a fairly similar car (Assuming no issues)

Do you plan on keeping it stock or modding it?

Have you considered getting an R? Other than a lack of sunroof, it would be quite comparable to your autobahn in regards to creature comforts.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
This is an unpopular opinion but assuming you are financially sound and are able to to, I think it maybe worth it.
reliability: At this stage of production, most of the major problems are resolved from an engineering standpoint. So w.e teething problem that had occur on the initial production should be resolved by now.
If your car is giving you issues then it wouldn’t be the end of the world to trade in and get a nice warranty. But like everyone else here have already stated, that’s a lot of money for a fairly similar car (Assuming no issues)

Do you plan on keeping it stock or modding it?

Have you considered getting an R? Other than a lack of sunroof, it would be quite comparable to your autobahn in regards to creature comforts.

They addressed the vast majority of build quality / production issues by the end of the 2015MY. Unless OP's car has been unreliable so far, I wouldn't be worried about it based on the model year. 2016's are fine. and they have MIB2 :D

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
They addressed the vast majority of build quality / production issues by the end of the 2015MY. Unless OP's car has been unreliable so far, I wouldn't be worried about it based on the model year. 2016's are fine. and they have MIB2 :D
Agreed. I was going off the assumption that op wanted something newer to keep for the long run because the current vehicle is unreliable.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I'm pondering selling my 2016 Autobahn (38,000 miles) MT with PP to purchase a 2020 MK7.5. I'm happy with my 2016 and could foresee driving it a few more years. I don't find the MK8 GTI very appealing. Would the MK7.5 offer significant improvements to make a change worthwhile?

No.

I want to stick with a manual. From my search, it looks like I'd need to travel out of state to find an Autobahn. That would necessitate selling my MK7 privately. There are a few MT MK7 SE's locally I could try to swing a trade for. Are there options the 2020 SE lacks that I might miss compared with my 2016 Autobahn? The idea of a fresh warranty and coverd service is also appealing. Does anyone who went from a MK7 to MK7.5 feel it wasn't worth the change? Has anyone gone from an MK7 Autobahn to an MK7.5 SE and not been disappointed?

I had a 2016 Autobahn DSG with PP, LP and currently own a 2019 Rabbit DSG. MK7.5 updates from MK7 isnt anything major. I sold my 2016 for a bigger vehicle to meet family needs and bought a 2019 couple of years later as i missed a GTI in my garage. Also i didnt want a MK8 and Rabbit trim met most of my needs with People's warranty. If i were you, i would stick with a 2016. Also 2020s dont have People's warranty.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
How much have you spent (depreciation) to own the car so far? If you can upgrade to a newer model since you think you want to drive an MK7(.5) for longer into the future the question is can you upgrade for less money than both you spent thus far and will spend in the future. The future condition is a tough one to achieve, but at the end of the day the new car will always have 38,000 fewer miles.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Well, looking on AutoTrader nationwide, comparable cars to yours are selling for $18k - $20k from various dealers. Let's assume you'd be able to sell your car for $18k private party. Looking nationwide again, new 2020 Autobahns are listed around $33k. Even if you negotiate them down to $30k, you're still paying in the ballpark of $12k+ to upgrade.

Now, it's not my car and not my money, but that sounds like a colossal waste of money to me. While they do have their differences, they're too similar for me to think it'd be worthwhile.

You could buy an excellent condition 2017 - 2018 Golf R for 30k+
Aside from the warranty difference, it's hard to think of a reason to go new GTI vs this option.

azrunner

Passed Driver's Ed
I appreciate all the input, My 2016 GTI is paid for and has been pretty reliable accept for a squeaky sunroof that only occurs in cold weather. The only mods to the car are Neuspeed wheels and a Eurohitch to transport bikes. The power train is under warranty until 10/2021. I'm tempted to go with APR Plus or stage 1 tuning.
My previous car was a 2012 MK6 GTI that I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't see myself leaving the VW fold for anything else. Perhaps the MK8 will grow on me. The Golf R with its AWD has intrigued me but my short time behind the wheel of an MK7 R left me nonplussed compared to my GTI.
I should probably cool my jets and continue to enjoy my MK7.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'd keep what you have. I went from a Mk7 SE to a Mk7.5 SE because the first was totaled. I don't think I could tell any differences that materially matter. The 7.5 is a little louder because of decontented sound deadening, misses a few little features like the a/c glovebox and underseat storage, but it does have the nicer screen and less of the weird honeycomb trim, and somehow my 7.5 seems to have even more sunroof squeaks. But it's 99% the exact same. I'd wait to see how the Mk8 is reviewed and also whether the Mk8 R is offered with a manual before making any decisions.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Keep your paid off car, maybe you’ll give a chance to mk8 once you see it in flesh.
I contemplated upgrading my 2015 GTI, but couldn’t really justify $$ for basically the same car with a few upgrades.
I bought some stocks instead :)