GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on power lock + / 845

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I know jescar/menzerna power lock + and collinite 845 is a classic sealant/wax combo but i've read/heard conflicting reviews about how well these 2 work together. I've read/heard great things about it how great it works for dark colored vehicles and how it's stood the test of time but some are saying the polymers in the 2 products don't bond well with each other such that 845 renders the polymers in power lock + useless. I'm going to strip the CG HydroSlick, (if there's any left at all) and do a minor paint correction to get some of the swirls/scratches that wouldn't come out 6 months ago and am going back and forth on which sealant/wax combo to use.

Note: I've tried ceramic and si02 infused products and want to try the old school sealant/wax combo and see which of the 3 i like better so no need to drop ceramic coating comments here.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry for the delay in answering, but Powerlock/Collinite 845 is my secret to a brilliant finish. Best one-two punch in paint protection after a strip wash, clay and a light polish. Top it off occasionally with some good spray wax or Adams H2O Guard and Gloss and your paint looks great even when it's dirty.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I've been religious about Colinite's 476 for 2 decades now (damn I'm old). I will try the Powerlock based on your recommendations. I top off with Turtle Wax ICE Seal n Shine. It's only $8.99 and is really an amazing product.

Back in March, I did a side by side test. Washed, iron remover'd, and clayed the car (Tornado red), then did the driver's side in 476 and the passenger side in ONLY Seal n Shine to see if it could dethrone the Collinite. The 476 definitely had a deeper shine, but the Seal n shine was notably smoother (crazy because the Collinite leaves a car sooo slick!). After about 4 months, the Seal n Shine side repelled water much better than the Collinite. The Collinite was almost gone. I still use both, but am crazy impressed by the Seal n Shine. Next I want to try 99 SOFT Fusso. Been told great things about it.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I've been religious about Colinite's 476 for 2 decades now (damn I'm old). I will try the Powerlock based on your recommendations. I top off with Turtle Wax ICE Seal n Shine. It's only $8.99 and is really an amazing product.

Back in March, I did a side by side test. Washed, iron remover'd, and clayed the car (Tornado red), then did the driver's side in 476 and the passenger side in ONLY Seal n Shine to see if it could dethrone the Collinite. The 476 definitely had a deeper shine, but the Seal n shine was notably smoother (crazy because the Collinite leaves a car sooo slick!). After about 4 months, the Seal n Shine side repelled water much better than the Collinite. The Collinite was almost gone. I still use both, but am crazy impressed by the Seal n Shine. Next I want to try 99 SOFT Fusso. Been told great things about it.
I'd recommend you let Powerlock cure overnight before applying Collinite on top of it.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Nice, I may have to give Seal n Shine a try.... How different is 476 from 845?

476 is definitely harder to work with. It just takes a little more elbow grease to remove it. But in my experience, it lasts notably longer. Just do one panel at a time, with a nice thin coat, let it dry, and it comes off fairly easy. I spent so many years thinking "the more I put on, the more protection I will have". And that might be true to a small extent, but I not enough to put on a thick coat and have to work like a dog to get it off.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
While going to pick up some powerlock a few months ago, I opted for the Sonax PNS instead, which is much easier and quicker to apply. Topped it with the Sonax BSD, which is a very viscous "quick detailer" which really adds some shine and lasts a good while. It is commonly used to top off the PNS. For a drying aid after washed I use Wolfgang Uber rinseless wash diluted in a spray bottle, as the BSD is too thick to be used for a drying aid (it will streak and be difficult to remove).

I have been wanting to try the collinite, as it comes highly recommended, especially by my a friend who has been in the bodywork and paint business 40 years. Might give it a try for winter, I'm sure it's worth the effort.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
While going to pick up some powerlock a few months ago, I opted for the Sonax PNS instead, which is much easier and quicker to apply. Topped it with the Sonax BSD, which is a very viscous "quick detailer" which really adds some shine and lasts a good while. It is commonly used to top off the PNS. For a drying aid after washed I use Wolfgang Uber rinseless wash diluted in a spray bottle, as the BSD is too thick to be used for a drying aid (it will streak and be difficult to remove).

I have been wanting to try the collinite, as it comes highly recommended, especially by my a friend who has been in the bodywork and paint business 40 years. Might give it a try for winter, I'm sure it's worth the effort.
845 is extremely easy to apply and wipe off. Hardly any effort at all. Definitely worth a shot.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
845 is extremely easy to apply and wipe off. Hardly any effort at all. Definitely worth a shot.
I almost bought it today, but I was busy doing brakes. I actually reapplied the Sonax BSD to my hood today too after a wash. That stuff is a PITA to remove. I see people dilute it, but of course that affects it's durability and protection.

I'm not sure how the 845 acts with the PNS, so I think I'll pick up the power lock as well and maybe give it a try before winter. Do you recommend applying with a machine, or by hand?

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I applied both powerlock and 845 by hand after machine polishing with sf3500. they go on light enough that it's not worth the effort of going through pads.