GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on possible dealer shenanigans

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

Friggen awesome movie

Tsi7

Ready to race!
This all sounds off. I don't understand why you'd ever give your car to the dealer before even getting the other car but what's done is done.

Stand your ground and quit playing games with the dealer, they owe you nothing and are a bunch of sneaky scumbags. Do what dequardo told you to do, either today or Monday. If you keep being lenient with them, they'll keep pulling your leg, that's what they do.

cb1111

Dropped by mine yesterday. The new car manager (who wasn't there when I bought it) is irritated to say the least. He said they did several things they weren't supposed to, including the trade in. The VIN they used was wrong, it's not the one they're getting. Hence why it's showing elsewhere. And the one they're getting has been delayed until May. They asked if they can arrange a swap if I'm game for the other one. He also asked if there's anything they can do about it.

I said if they can work the swap by early this afternoon fine. They offered a loaner until it gets in since we've been down a vehicle, which is a pain. I said if two regional VW dealers can't agree on a 1 for 1 swap in 24 hours there are other issues, which they agreed.

I also said if they wanted to 'do' something they could bring the truck trade closer to where it probably should've been (described that fiasco to him) so it might happen.

If not, he said the truck is still in the back lot and hasn't even been detailed yet. So if they can't it's all cancelled and I head down to the next nearest one with a Rabbit to chat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
How bad are the numbers on your trade? It might just make sense to just pick up your truck and be done with that dealership.

How are they planning on getting the other Rabbit from San Jose (400 miles away) by this afternoon?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
How bad are the numbers on your trade? It might just make sense to just pick up your truck and be done with that dealership.

How are they planning on getting the other Rabbit from San Jose (400 miles away) by this afternoon?

TelePORTation

Why on earth would you give your vehicle to a dealership in a trade agreement without SEEING, DRIVING or being able to RECEIVE the car you are purchasing in said agreement? It wasn't even in the country when you did this...

I'll buy your truck from you when you get it back. I'll give you $20 now and whatever you think it's worth a month from now. I'll need to take it once the $20 payment is made, consider it a down payment. My name is John Smith and I don't have an address, bank account or credit card - Cash a problem?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Get your truck back today, drive away, and don't look in the rear view mirror. Find another dealership. And don't ever forget the lessons learned in this fiasco. And please name this dealership so that everyone here can avoid them.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

This was my same exact thought as well.

One more chance to a "dealership" who messed up several things in the deal? Nope, i am good.

joeblonewjersey

Ready to race!
Happened to me 3 years ago in a Maryland VW dealership. Custom ordered, waited 6 months, saw it advertised in the paper (my VIN which I had from VW), screamed bloody murder, bottom line when all was said and done I got another $1,000 from VW to ease the stress of the snake-pit dealer.

cb1111

Happened to me 3 years ago in a Maryland VW dealership. Custom ordered, waited 6 months, saw it advertised in the paper (my VIN which I had from VW), screamed bloody murder, bottom line when all was said and done I got another $1,000 from VW to ease the stress of the snake-pit dealer.
Wait.... don't tell me.... King VW?

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
I didn't tell them the car had to be there that afternoon. I already said I screwed up with the early trade-in agreement. But as much as everyone is going on about it they did still have legal requirements based on their own contract, and as much as everyone likes trying to punch me in the gut over it I also have a legal office that exists to cover things like this which is usually enough to make even would-be sketchy ones turn about if invoked. It's been rare I've had to go there, but it's not the type of attention (or loss of business) an actual shady business (or any) wants if that's the case.

The truck is still on their lot, hasn't even been detailed yet. And until the proper paperwork is submitted for the loan it's unlikely they'll get the title for a bit longer either. I'm sure there's all kinds of sketchy ways they could do it, and some of you seem to have more than a passing knowledge of the details as to how they'd do so, so either you've done it as well (or directly had experience with someone who has) or you've helped do it to someone so I wouldn't go bashing others too hard. Their new car manager is on the same page I am, he's not particularly fond of that part either as they didn't contact him.

They've fixed it, added another 5% to the trade-in, I'm still not paying registration/title even though they went ahead and did it in California anyway, got the 20k care bit added (very minor but one less thing to worry about for a bit), and they gave me a BMW 3-series to drive until mine gets in so they lose having that to sell the longer I don't have mine. And now that they're tracking the proper VINs from the right sales manager it's scheduled to arrive this week.

So all in all not great, but barring further issues it was corrected within the 24 hours I gave them. But pretty sure if my mother-in-law goes for a Tiguan (she's liking my wife's) we'll be visiting the one 2 hours away first.

I used to go there for service with my old '99 Ram 1500 several years ago. They were actually better priced than the local Dodge/Ram dealership and did MUCH better with service/repairs. I'm really hoping it's a case of the sales and service teams being on a different level or they've really gone downhill. That was a fair reason I was so willing to try them out to begin with as I hoped their sales dept did as well.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
In January I bought a 2019 Rabbit.I had a 2017 GSW to trade in on it.They did not have one in stock but saw one on the ship coming from Mexico.They offered me a chance that if I wanted it they would speak for it from VW Canada.They did get their request but I did not want to put a deposit on it nor did I want to give them my car on the trade in deal.I felt uneasy to commit to buy the car blind so to speak.They said they would bring it into to inventory and if I didn't want to buy it they were okay with that.The car arrived 10 days later and we inked the deal and we were both okay with the transaction.During the process,the sales manager,a smart cool 27 year old guy,talked a lot to me during that 10 day period and I was surprised as to how dealership operate based on what he told me.A little shrewd and tactful but not really dishonest.Having said that I guess I was lucky to have a good experience.Aulwulf,I know your at wits end with what happened but I would take note of the timeline they told you.One thing I learnt from the sales manager is that they can track a cars travel thru VW America the same as they can do in Canada on their computer.I saw it on my car.They showed me the day it left Mexico and the day it arrived at my nearest port.It sat there 5 days and it showed it leaving that port and when it was going to arrive at the dealership.Don't let them tell you they Can't.Push back at them on that.Persistence pays big dividends!I wish you the best on this and I feel you will get your car.Keep us posted please.

Yeah, that was one of the things I didn't get. Now that I know someone pulled a VIN from the wrong place somewhere it makes sense. For whatever reason, the manager on shift didn't check with the new sales manager (wasn't there but could've called) who had the list. New sales manager said he's been there 10 years and never saw them botch a VIN.

And I never said it wasn't in country in response to that one snark. I said it was en route from the port, i.e., the U.S. port, so on a truck. Still not the smartest move on my part in regards to the trade-in, but the timeframe in relation to that wasn't off. The new sales manager showed me their projected inbound schedule the others should have had, and not only did they get the wrong VIN but the May projection was actually 1 of 2 they have coming in. The other is the one I was supposed to have the deal for, and projected for next week NLT Friday. When the car comes in they get their BMW back. The truck's still sitting on the lot so worst case if it doesn't pan out all's cancelled and I'm just stuck finding another one. But I know a few others I could leave with same-day by now.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
People mess up sometimes. Probably on purpose in this case to force you to buy. What separates the good from the bad is how they try to rectify the situation. Granted making the sale is a strong motivation, but the new sales manager seems like he's trying to do the right thing and being transparent about it. Good luck and hope you get the car you ordered next week.

cb1111

I didn't tell them the car had to be there that afternoon. I already said I screwed up with the early trade-in agreement. But as much as everyone is going on about it they did still have legal requirements based on their own contract, and as much as everyone likes trying to punch me in the gut over it I also have a legal office that exists to cover things like this which is usually enough to make even would-be sketchy ones turn about if invoked. It's been rare I've had to go there, but it's not the type of attention (or loss of business) an actual shady business (or any) wants if that's the case.

The truck is still on their lot, hasn't even been detailed yet. And until the proper paperwork is submitted for the loan it's unlikely they'll get the title for a bit longer either. I'm sure there's all kinds of sketchy ways they could do it, and some of you seem to have more than a passing knowledge of the details as to how they'd do so, so either you've done it as well (or directly had experience with someone who has) or you've helped do it to someone so I wouldn't go bashing others too hard. Their new car manager is on the same page I am, he's not particularly fond of that part either as they didn't contact him.

They've fixed it, added another 5% to the trade-in, I'm still not paying registration/title even though they went ahead and did it in California anyway, got the 20k care bit added (very minor but one less thing to worry about for a bit), and they gave me a BMW 3-series to drive until mine gets in so they lose having that to sell the longer I don't have mine. And now that they're tracking the proper VINs from the right sales manager it's scheduled to arrive this week.

So all in all not great, but barring further issues it was corrected within the 24 hours I gave them. But pretty sure if my mother-in-law goes for a Tiguan (she's liking my wife's) we'll be visiting the one 2 hours away first.

I used to go there for service with my old '99 Ram 1500 several years ago. They were actually better priced than the local Dodge/Ram dealership and did MUCH better with service/repairs. I'm really hoping it's a case of the sales and service teams being on a different level or they've really gone downhill. That was a fair reason I was so willing to try them out to begin with as I hoped their sales dept did as well.
Nobody was bashing you. You were (are?) beating yourself up. I've always said that it was unlikely that a new car dealer would be that shady.

Keep us posted.

BTW, while the JAG office will help you, they'll also give you a stern talking to.