GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on possible dealer shenanigans

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Yes they do. They have your car.

There's also a very good chance that your trade is long gone, sold to somebody for a profit.

If your sale doesn't go through, then they'll give you the trade value on your contract and wash their hands of you. A common practice to get cars cheap around military installations.

If you are military, then you might want to visit your JAG office. Are you sure the dealer isn't on the "off-limits" list?

Let's hope that this is a big misunderstanding and they are getting your car for you.

Please keep us posted.
That's true more or less.

I spoke to the other dealer. They do have it, it is for sale, and they said it's the only one they're getting and aren't transferring it.

Then I called mine and the salesman about had a panic attack when I told him where it was. He said he was going to the owners to contact the other dealership to get it on a hauler and down here ASAP. We'll see what happens when they clash, told him I expect an update this afternoon. In theory should be simple enough but who knows.

I also told him I'd expect them to not let the truck too far off their lot until it's sorted. No guarantees, may end up like CB said. If so they get to cover the difference for loan payoff that's no longer covered as contract lays out or that's when I'll be going to JAG.

The dealership overall can be decent, their service department has usually been good. So no, not in a list yet that I know of. But that may change, it'll be brought up if they want to be difficult. JAG won't do it just on my case but if any others come up mine will contribute.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
I see several red flags in the deal.

Have you submitted the title of this vehicle to the dealer, if so contact people higher up in the chain, so that they can honor the deal. I would be fine with a similar specced Rabbit as well. If they are failing to meet their deadlines, you have to take the legal route and there might not be any option. If you still have your title, take the vehicle back from that dealership and never step into it again.

Worst case, i hope they offered a good value for the trade.
Trade has a lien, and so far isn't showing paid off. If I contact USAA and tell them it's hokey they usually look into it first, from past experience. So they don't have the title yet.

cb1111

I see several red flags in the deal.

Have you submitted the title of this vehicle to the dealer, if so contact people higher up in the chain, so that they can honor the deal. I would be fine with a similar specced Rabbit as well. If they are failing to meet their deadlines, you have to take the legal route and there might not be any option. If you still have your title, take the vehicle back from that dealership and never step into it again.

Worst case, i hope they offered a good value for the trade.
From my experience in a JAG office, this is how the conversation goes.

"We'll give you a really great discount on your new car for sales tax purposes We can only do that by giving you a bit less for your trade, but we make up more than that on the price of the new car."

Because the Soldier/Airman/Sailor/Marine thinks he's paying less sales tax, they often jump on that offer.

The dealer gets the trade for a steal because they have zero intention of making the sale. The trade is long gone by the time the customer realizes that they've been had.

I've actually heard "Look, your trade is worth $5k. We can sell you the new car for $3k less than we normally would by giving you $2k for your trade. That $3k less will save you another $200 on taxes, so you're really getting a $3200 discount. That's the deal of your lifetime"

They get the trade for $2k, sell it for $6 or $7k and never complete the rest of the sale. They'll have excuses about why there is a delay or say that car is no longer available and cancel the sale. Since the trade is gone, all they can do is pay for it - at the amount listed in the contract.

Now, that is normally done by sleazy used car dealers that are next to the front gate, but it isn't unheard of from new car dealers.

Let's hope that this isn't the case here.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
From my experience in a JAG office, this is how the conversation goes.

"We'll give you a really great discount on your new car for sales tax purposes We can only do that by giving you a bit less for your trade, but we make up more than that on the price of the new car."

Because the Soldier/Airman/Sailor/Marine thinks he's paying less sales tax, they often jump on that offer.

The dealer gets the trade for a steal because they have zero intention of making the sale. The trade is long gone by the time the customer realizes that they've been had.

I've actually heard "Look, your trade is worth $5k. We can sell you the new car for $3k less than we normally would by giving you $2k for your trade. That $3k less will save you another $200 on taxes, so you're really getting a $3200 discount. That's the deal of your lifetime"

They get the trade for $2k, sell it for $6 or $7k and never complete the rest of the sale. They'll have excuses about why there is a delay or say that car is no longer available and cancel the sale. Since the trade is gone, all they can do is pay for it - at the amount listed in the contract.

Now, that is normally done by sleazy used car dealers that are next to the front gate, but it isn't unheard of from new car dealers.

Let's hope that this isn't the case here.
Gotta give them credit for being able to keep track of all that though. Lousy, but some credit. Lol

They got a bit 'off' mine because they 'said' they called Ram and were told they're giving $10k of the new ones. They were at some this time last year so I went with it, and they didn't try taking that much off. I had other things going at the same time with my wife's deal too so that one skipped by a bit. Later I kicked myself.

Unlikely they have my title yet though so would be hard to do at this point. But I never expect such a comment to be 100% accurate. They have ways.

cb1111

Gotta give them credit for being able to keep track of all that though. Lousy, but some credit. Lol

They got a bit 'off' mine because they 'said' they called Ram and were told they're giving $10k of the new ones. They were at some this time last year so I went with it, and they didn't try taking that much off. I had other things going at the same time with my wife's deal too so that one skipped by a bit. Later I kicked myself.

Unlikely they have my title yet though so would be hard to do at this point. But I never expect such a comment to be 100% accurate. They have ways.

Dealers sell cars without titles all the time. In general, a dealer has to provide the new buyer with a title within 30 days, so plenty of time. They own the car as soon as they pay off your loan and request the title and can resell it immediately.

That said, it is very unusual for a new car dealer to pull these stunts, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but other military members need to sit up and take notice.

Why are young military such a great mark? Because many join up right after high school, have disposable income and, at least early on, have little debt. They also have little experience.

I vividly remember some of our classes teaching these kids about finances and getting them to understand that just because they still have checks left in their checkbook doesn't mean that they still have money in the account (true story)

videoguy009

Ready to race!
In January I bought a 2019 Rabbit.I had a 2017 GSW to trade in on it.They did not have one in stock but saw one on the ship coming from Mexico.They offered me a chance that if I wanted it they would speak for it from VW Canada.They did get their request but I did not want to put a deposit on it nor did I want to give them my car on the trade in deal.I felt uneasy to commit to buy the car blind so to speak.They said they would bring it into to inventory and if I didn't want to buy it they were okay with that.The car arrived 10 days later and we inked the deal and we were both okay with the transaction.During the process,the sales manager,a smart cool 27 year old guy,talked a lot to me during that 10 day period and I was surprised as to how dealership operate based on what he told me.A little shrewd and tactful but not really dishonest.Having said that I guess I was lucky to have a good experience.Aulwulf,I know your at wits end with what happened but I would take note of the timeline they told you.One thing I learnt from the sales manager is that they can track a cars travel thru VW America the same as they can do in Canada on their computer.I saw it on my car.They showed me the day it left Mexico and the day it arrived at my nearest port.It sat there 5 days and it showed it leaving that port and when it was going to arrive at the dealership.Don't let them tell you they Can't.Push back at them on that.Persistence pays big dividends!I wish you the best on this and I feel you will get your car.Keep us posted please.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
“I swear to god I will pistol whip the next person that says - “shenanigans “

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Dropped by mine yesterday. The new car manager (who wasn't there when I bought it) is irritated to say the least. He said they did several things they weren't supposed to, including the trade in. The VIN they used was wrong, it's not the one they're getting. Hence why it's showing elsewhere. And the one they're getting has been delayed until May. They asked if they can arrange a swap if I'm game for the other one. He also asked if there's anything they can do about it.

I said if they can work the swap by early this afternoon fine. They offered a loaner until it gets in since we've been down a vehicle, which is a pain. I said if two regional VW dealers can't agree on a 1 for 1 swap in 24 hours there are other issues, which they agreed.

I also said if they wanted to 'do' something they could bring the truck trade closer to where it probably should've been (described that fiasco to him) so it might happen.

If not, he said the truck is still in the back lot and hasn't even been detailed yet. So if they can't it's all cancelled and I head down to the next nearest one with a Rabbit to chat.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
None of this makes much sense-certainly from a WI perspective. I doubt the rules are much different in CA. A lot of things wrong here including giving up a trade before the new car is delivered. How can that possibly happen and how could you allow that?

Your current update adds some clarity but if this were me I’d A) talk to no one except the owner of the dealership, B) give them 24 hours to make you FULLY WHOLE, C) agree on the car you want and drive off with it within that time or D) walk/run away from what I suspect is a sketchy dealer and consider this a big life lesson.

Also, if you choose door C, I would think 10 times before ever taking it there for service. I do wish you luck and hope they make it all right for you.

Burner1

Ready to race!
Dropped by mine yesterday. The new car manager (who wasn't there when I bought it) is irritated to say the least. He said they did several things they weren't supposed to, including the trade in. The VIN they used was wrong, it's not the one they're getting. Hence why it's showing elsewhere. And the one they're getting has been delayed until May. They asked if they can arrange a swap if I'm game for the other one. He also asked if there's anything they can do about it.

I said if they can work the swap by early this afternoon fine. They offered a loaner until it gets in since we've been down a vehicle, which is a pain. I said if two regional VW dealers can't agree on a 1 for 1 swap in 24 hours there are other issues, which they agreed.

I also said if they wanted to 'do' something they could bring the truck trade closer to where it probably should've been (described that fiasco to him) so it might happen.

If not, he said the truck is still in the back lot and hasn't even been detailed yet. So if they can't it's all cancelled and I head down to the next nearest one with a Rabbit to chat.

They are waiting you out until you say fuk it give me that “one” on their lot. I would tell them to Piss off and find a new dealer.

Burner1

Ready to race!
None of this makes much sense-certainly from a WI perspective. I doubt the rules are much different in CA. A lot of things wrong here including giving up a trade before the new car is delivered. How can that possibly happen and how could you allow that?

Your current update adds some clarity but if this were me I’d A) talk to no one except the owner of the dealership, B) give them 24 hours to make you FULLY WHOLE, C) agree on the car you want and drive off with it within that time or D) walk/run away from what I suspect is a sketchy dealer and consider this a big life lesson.

Also, if you choose door C, I would think 10 times before ever taking it there for service. I do wish you luck and hope they make it all right for you.

Good advice here