GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on possible dealer shenanigans

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
The dealer told me my car was coming from the port when I was looking and would be here early April, the only blue one they're supposed to get. So I've been waiting, but it's within a week and they still say they have zero idea where it is since.

I thought I might find a site to track it myself so Google'd the VIN last night. It came up for sale on a lot in San Jose. I'm checking to see if the page is accurate, but have a big WTF standing by for my dealer.

If they try to make excuses around it would that constitute a breach of contract since they never had the car to sell, and made no mention of having to transfer it (or worse, it isn't being transferred)? I'm pretty sure I know where one or two more are further away I could get at least the same deal on. I'd just have to get my truck back and put insurance on it again, which they may use as a stalling tactic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Yes, and that's where it gets iffy or Is likely tell them forget it. But it was also signed based on false information. Hard to prove so probably not, unless they don't have a vehicle to deliver.

But if nothing else it's something I'm sure base legal would be interested in hearing. They like to know that sort if thing when making Do Not Go lists.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Did you factory order the vehicle? If not, what's the big deal about it. Dealers do this all the time and it's one of their tactics to get the customer into their show room. They will try to give some reasons for the mistake and try to sell a vehicle which is on their lot.

If it's not a unique vehicle, why don't you start looking other dealers in the area or in the nearby states. Also in the end, what do you expect from that dealer.

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Did you order the car built or did they say one like what you want is on the way?

I ask this because I ordered a car 20 years ago and the window sticker it came with said right on the top:

"Built for MY NAME by Chrysler"

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Did you factory order the vehicle? If not, what's the big deal about it. Dealers do this all the time and it's one of their tactics to get the customer into their show room. They will try to give some reasons for the mistake and try to sell a vehicle which is on their lot.

If it's not a unique vehicle, why don't you start looking other dealers in the area or in the nearby states. Also in the end, what do you expect from that dealer.
If they honor their end I have no problem with a transfer.

When they lie to me and they sell a car that is not coming that's a problem. Right now I'm possibly on contact for a vehicle that isn't coming. In the sales room is one thing. Selling a product that may not be deliverable is another.

No it's not factory order. Yes it is limited around here.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Did you order the car built or did they say one like what you want is on the way?

I ask this because I ordered a car 20 years ago and the window sticker it came with said right on the top:

"Built for MY NAME by Chrysler"
They said one is on the way from the port. Again a transfer is even fine. But right now not what's looking to be the case. If it's premature will find out.

I expect them to have the vehicle they or on contract, or at least be able to tell me it's being transferred. Right now they keep telling me they don't know where it is en route from the port.

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
Not sure what's the issue here. They said they'd have a car for you in early April, you were OK with that, and it's still March. Who cares if they get you one off the boat or from another dealer's lot, as long as it meets the specs you wanted? You should at least give them until the agreed upon date before you start calling BS.

cb1111

The dealer told me my car was coming from the port when I was looking and would be here early April, the only blue one they're supposed to get. So I've been waiting, but it's within a week and they still say they have zero idea where it is since.

I thought I might find a site to track it myself so Google'd the VIN last night. It came up for sale on a lot in San Jose. I'm checking to see if the page is accurate, but have a big WTF standing by for my dealer.

If they try to make excuses around it would that constitute a breach of contract since they never had the car to sell, and made no mention of having to transfer it (or worse, it isn't being transferred)? I'm pretty sure I know where one or two more are further away I could get at least the same deal on. I'd just have to get my truck back and put insurance on it again, which they may use as a stalling tactic.

I'm confused. What does your truck have to do with this?

Tell us the story from the beginning - kind of like this:

One upon a time I was in the market for Cornflower Blue 2019 Rabbit. I went to the dealer and....

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If they honor their end I have no problem with a transfer.

When they lie to me and they sell a car that is not coming that's a problem. Right now I'm possibly on contact for a vehicle that isn't coming. In the sales room is one thing. Selling a product that may not be deliverable is another.

No it's not factory order. Yes it is limited around here.

So what are the consequences mentioned in your contract if the dealer does not fulfill this deal. If it was me, i would find a different vehicle and move on as there are plenty of Rabbits out there.

If you have plenty of resources in hand (time and money), go after the dealer. Good luck with that and let us know if you get a hat or key chain as compensation.