GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on possible dealer shenanigans

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Nobody was bashing you. You were (are?) beating yourself up. I've always said that it was unlikely that a new car dealer would be that shady.

Keep us posted.

BTW, while the JAG office will help you, they'll also give you a stern talking to.
There's a few who were more troll posting than contributing. Ones like yours I had no issue with.

And yeah they would. And my chain of command probably. But I mention them just as the last effort. I have no plans of actually needing them. I usually manage situations alright on my own.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
It sounds like they are doing the right thing and I would not penalize them in the future if you buy a second VW. Yes it was a cluster, but its being made right. Which is the sign of a good dealer. I don't think it was shady.

This is also somewhat VW's fault. They have the worst delivery system out of all Car manufacturers.

When I was looking for my R I went to 5 different dealers. Not a single one could tell me when they were getting in any R's. They had no clue on what cars were coming to them. I have never had a dealer not be able to tell me their inventory on order. VW gives the dealers no information on cars they are receiving. Its almost like they don't want to sell cars. Unless it is custom ordered, the dealers just get what the port decides to send each dealer. So that's how a VIN can just go anywhere. At first I though it was just the one dealer I talked to but no!. All 5 gave me the same explanation. Totally messed up.

cb1111

It sounds like they are doing the right thing and I would not penalize them in the future if you buy a second VW. Yes it was a cluster, but its being made right. Which is the sign of a good dealer. I don't think it was shady.

This is also somewhat VW's fault. They have the worst delivery system out of all Car manufacturers.

When I was looking for my R I went to 5 different dealers. Not a single one could tell me when they were getting in any R's. They had no clue on what cars were coming to them. I have never had a dealer not be able to tell me their inventory on order. VW gives the dealers no information on cars they are receiving. Its almost like they don't want to sell cars. Unless it is custom ordered, the dealers just get what the port decides to send each dealer. So that's how a VIN can just go anywhere. At first I though it was just the one dealer I talked to but no!. All 5 gave me the same explanation. Totally messed up.

Sorry, but it is your dealers. My local dealers all know exactly what is coming in with VINs with one exception - they may not have much advance information on new initial allocations until the allocations are made.

The same holds true for ALL manufacturers.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Ok, things are all set. I had the 3-series loaner for about 5 days. Everything's been smooth since the new car sales guy got involved. Car showed up around 6pm last night. They put the mud flaps and lock bolts on it and I was over there around 12:30. Test drive, car checkout, they washed it due to bugs near farms on test drive. Moved things from the 3-series to the Rabbit and it's all set.

So far no complaints. The tire store didn't get the tires in quite on time so the Generals will be going on sometime Saturday. I've already had a minor slide through a corner (nothing drastic, was during test drive) and a spin in 2nd with the stocks so yeah, want to change those up.

Thanks for the input the last week all. Pics will be coming in a couple other threads.

cb1111

Ok, things are all set. I had the 3-series loaner for about 5 days. Everything's been smooth since the new car sales guy got involved. Car showed up around 6pm last night. They put the mud flaps and lock bolts on it and I was over there around 12:30. Test drive, car checkout, they washed it due to bugs near farms on test drive. Moved things from the 3-series to the Rabbit and it's all set.

So far no complaints. The tire store didn't get the tires in quite on time so the Generals will be going on sometime Saturday. I've already had a minor slide through a corner (nothing drastic, was during test drive) and a spin in 2nd with the stocks so yeah, want to change those up.

Thanks for the input the last week all. Pics will be coming in a couple other threads.
You need to take it easier until you figure out how the car handles or else we'll get a picture of you wrapped around a tree - that's not the picture we want to see.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
You need to take it easier until you figure out how the car handles or else we'll get a picture of you wrapped around a tree - that's not the picture we want to see.
Thanks, but those weren't driving particularly spirited or anything. For what I was doing if it wrapped me around a tree there would be much bigger issues to worry about. I don't generally drive spirited with the kids in the car and my youngest was with me in both cases. Even if I hadn't read about the stock tires on here those would've had me looking for replacements quick.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Thanks, but those weren't driving particularly spirited or anything. For what I was doing if it wrapped me around a tree there would be much bigger issues to worry about. I don't generally drive spirited with the kids in the car and my youngest was with me in both cases. Even if I hadn't read about the stock tires on here those would've had me looking for replacements quick.

If you were sliding through a corner and managed to spin tires in 2nd you were driving too quick for the road conditions even if you feel like you were being safe

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
If you were sliding through a corner and managed to spin tires in 2nd you were driving too quick for the road conditions even if you feel like you were being safe
Road conditions for spin were dry and moderate temp with minimal road debris and moderate acceleration from a stop at a light. With numerous other vehicles of different types, several at that same location, I've never had that happen. But you're right, it's just me and I have no idea what I'm doing.

As for the slide I've taken that particular turn faster on things ranging from cruiser motorcycle to small hatch to large pickup. And it was all of maybe 3 inches, not a power slide. I take it slower than I could on my own due to a tendency for dirt to be in the road there when it's been raining, and took it slower yet with my daughter and the sales rep in the car.

If any of you are trying to tell me you grandma drive it I'm raising the BS flag after things that get posted around here. I know not to push it on a new vehicle, plus it's in break-in phase so babying it some anyway. Fundamental terrain characteristics and physics however don't change. All other things being equal for the rate and size in both instances those should not have happened as easily as they did.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
From the outside looking in, with no way of actually telling what you were doing other then what you write, it's easy to judge and ask how the hell you could spin the tires and lose control...

People are judgmental, especially on a car forum where it's based off what you write... FWIW, I wouldn't have even mentioned the spinning of the tires or losing control temporarily... no matter which way you spin it (no pun intended), people will be quick to judge

Anyways, at least you got everything resolved with the car. Congrats and enjoy

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Tires are brand new and need some miles to work off all the crud from manufacturing. Cut the guy some slack, geez everyone is an armchair critic and have no idea of the actual situation.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
From the outside looking in, with no way of actually telling what you were doing other then what you write, it's easy to judge and ask how the hell you could spin the tires and lose control...

People are judgmental, especially on a car forum where it's based off what you write... FWIW, I wouldn't have even mentioned the spinning of the tires or losing control temporarily... no matter which way you spin it (no pun intended), people will be quick to judge

Anyways, at least you got everything resolved with the car. Congrats and enjoy
Thanks. And in hindsight you're probably right. Think I was venting as the tires were scheduled to be there Wednesday. So far delivery logistics for this car have not been ideal.