GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on possible dealer shenanigans

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Sorry for lack of background. On my phone and takes a while to minimize auto-correct.

Basically the start process was actually pretty good. The usual dealer bits but nothing red flag. Originally trading in my truck was to be at time of car delivery.

Manager came down and said the contact needed to be done, which would require truck trade earlier. This seemed off, but to guarantee the car I could see it. But it also put the family down a vehicle. Originally they could have delivered almost to May, didn't care. Now the earlier the better.

We were told car en route from the port, to arrive within a week or two (this was a week ago). They said within a couple days they would know exactly when. Now after a week they're telling me they don't know where it is. Well, I might now. That raised a red flag. It should be easy for them to know if one of their cars was delivered to the wrong place. If it's a transfer, why didn't they say it was a transfer?

So now we're down a car, with either a clueless dealer (best case) or a questionable one. Still no word on when it'll be here, with evidence it might never be if the other dealer sells it.

It might be premature, but this with some other questionable things in the last few days raises a flag. It might be nothing. But I prefer to be ready if necessary for the alternative.

At the moment there are two others I know of I could probably get similar deals on, if released from contract if they don't have the car. But in that case the clock is ticking.

I don't plan to 'go after' them unless they try to keep me in a contract with no car to deliver. And the contract specifically mentions that car by VIN, so if they try to sub another it'll be a chance to revisit as the first one will be void. Otherwise it should be breach of contract they also signed as they're not delivering the promised product as signed.

The truck part comes in if the contract cancels due it being traded in, as mentioned.

This was posted as a 'what if' so sorry if folks think I'm looking to duck out. I'm just trying to keep an eye out of things end up going south. I've never had these kinds of issues from a dealer before, just the usual sales tactics.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Get your trade back if possible or wait. You should never sign a contract or give up your trade before you test drive your new car. What if it was totaled in transit from the port? The most you want to do is give a small refundable (in writing) deposit.

cb1111

Sorry for lack of background. On my phone and takes a while to minimize auto-correct.

Basically the start process was actually pretty good. The usual dealer bits but nothing red flag. Originally trading in my truck was to be at time of car delivery.

Manager came down and said the contact needed to be done, which would require truck trade earlier. This seemed off, but to guarantee the car I could see it. But it also put the family down a vehicle. Originally they could have delivered almost to May, didn't care. Now the earlier the better.

We were told car en route from the port, to arrive within a week or two (this was a week ago). They said within a couple days they would know exactly when. Now after a week they're telling me they don't know where it is. Well, I might now. That raised a red flag. It should be easy for them to know if one of their cars was delivered to the wrong place. If it's a transfer, why didn't they say it was a transfer?

So now we're down a car, with either a clueless dealer (best case) or a questionable one. Still no word on when it'll be here, with evidence it might never be if the other dealer sells it.

It might be premature, but this with some other questionable things in the last few days raises a flag. It might be nothing. But I prefer to be ready if necessary for the alternative.

At the moment there are two others I know of I could probably get similar deals on, if released from contract if they don't have the car. But in that case the clock is ticking.

I don't plan to 'go after' them unless they try to keep me in a contract with no car to deliver. And the contract specifically mentions that car by VIN, so if they try to sub another it'll be a chance to revisit as the first one will be void. Otherwise it should be breach of contract they also signed as they're not delivering the promised product as signed.

The truck part comes in if the contract cancels due it being traded in, as mentioned.

This was posted as a 'what if' so sorry if folks think I'm looking to duck out. I'm just trying to keep an eye out of things end up going south. I've never had these kinds of issues from a dealer before, just the usual sales tactics.

So who has physical possession of the truck?

What I didn't hear was you calling the dealer and saying "I found the car! It is at XYZ dealership in San Jose. When is it arriving at your dealership?"

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Can you file a complaint with your Provost Marshall that you think you're being taken advantage of by a civilian company?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'd call the dealer in San Jose, and negotiate a deal for that car. Get the numbers in writing. Decent chance you'll be able to make a better deal. Walk in to your local dealership with said deal in hand, and proceed to embarrass the snot out of them. Tell them you want YOUR car at THAT price, or they can return your trade on the spot, and you'll fly up and deal with the other dealership. That would be a fun conversation.

DJTosin

I'd call the dealer in San Jose, and negotiate a deal for that car. Get the numbers in writing. Decent chance you'll be able to make a better deal. Walk in to your local dealership with said deal in hand, and proceed to embarrass the snot out of them. Tell them you want YOUR car at THAT price, or they can return your trade on the spot, and you'll fly up and deal with the other dealership. That would be a fun conversation.

Precisely what I would do in this situation. Give them a chance to make good on the deal. That way, you still get the car you want in the long run.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
So who has physical possession of the truck?

What I didn't hear was you calling the dealer and saying "I found the car! It is at XYZ dealership in San Jose. When is it arriving at your dealership?"
They do. Hence the issue at this point. I texted my salesperson last night, I'll be going in today to find out what's going on. Or what they say anyways. At this point trust isn't plentiful, not that it was initially.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Precisely what I would do in this situation. Give them a chance to make good on the deal. That way, you still get the car you want in the long run.
I've contacted them as well, I plan to ask if they know their car has been contracted by another dealer.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Can you file a complaint with your Provost Marshall that you think you're being taken advantage of by a civilian company?
If it comes to that case with lack of vehicle I will be.

This I agree with, and that's the place I acknowledge I screwed up. When it came to the truck trade in is the spot I probably should've walked out. I won't say I'm blameless. But the main issue now is ensuring delivery, and in proper condition as mentioned. That's something I plan to bring up when there that at this rate they better not let that truck too far off their lot yet.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
We were told car en route from the port, to arrive within a week or two (this was a week ago)...
So we're still within the quoted time period?

Last edited:

cb1111

Aelwulf;774043[B said:
]No deposit or down[/B].

Yes they do. They have your car.

They do. Hence the issue at this point. I texted my salesperson last night, I'll be going in today to find out what's going on. Or what they say anyways. At this point trust isn't plentiful, not that it was initially.

There's also a very good chance that your trade is long gone, sold to somebody for a profit.

If your sale doesn't go through, then they'll give you the trade value on your contract and wash their hands of you. A common practice to get cars cheap around military installations.

If you are military, then you might want to visit your JAG office. Are you sure the dealer isn't on the "off-limits" list?

Let's hope that this is a big misunderstanding and they are getting your car for you.

Please keep us posted.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I see several red flags in the deal.

Have you submitted the title of this vehicle to the dealer, if so contact people higher up in the chain, so that they can honor the deal. I would be fine with a similar specced Rabbit as well. If they are failing to meet their deadlines, you have to take the legal route and there might not be any option. If you still have your title, take the vehicle back from that dealership and never step into it again.

Worst case, i hope they offered a good value for the trade.