GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on old 302

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG

I know this isn’t a GTI but was wondering if you guys had any thoughts or experience with old pushrod motors. It’s definitely a lifter tick but how serious do y’all think it is? Is it hard to replace the lifters on theses old motors? Any help would be appreciated as I know some old timers on here know a lot about these old cars, thanks.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Thanks for the reply, I wish it was a sbc, then I could just pull the lifters right out, it’s a Ford so I gotta pull the intake off if I wanna replace the lifters. Gonna change the oil and try some lifter additive tomorrow. Prolly gonna just have to end up putting in new lifters tho☹️

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Maybe I’ll pull the valve covers again tomorrow and check the push rods, shouldn’t be too hard to do.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Those are hydraulic lifters aren't they? Even hydraulic lifters can be adjusted.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/comp-cams-adjusting-hydraulic-lifters/
No unfortunately not, it’s a stock 302, you just tighten down the rocker and that’s it, no adjustment. Started it up today and it didn’t start ticking till it warmed up, leads me to believe it’s the lifters, imma try some detergent additive not to cover the sound but to see if I can get the lifter free. It’s like it runs perfectly quiet then all the sudden it gets stuck and starts ticking really bad. It’s just an old project truck to tinker around with.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Update: Got some cleaner and fresh oil in it and it seems to mostly gone away, thanks.

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
Jacob-
Lifter change is very easy on these motors
Remove the intake
You'll see a metal form spanning over the lifters---2 bolts and remove---Be sure to keep pressure on this item as it may spring up a bit.
You'll then see what looks like a small short wrench spanning between a pair of lifters--simply lift this off. Note the orientation-There's and UP and DOWN (part should be labeled). FYI- these keep the lifter from rotating so the roller tip contacts the cam correctly.
Lift the old roller lifter from its' bore...it's a bit tight due to the height of the casting about the bore but should not be an issue.
Drop in your new lifters and done
BE SURE to let the new lifters soak in a bath of oil for some 60 minutes BEFORE assembly or you can make a simple jig from a block of 2x4 , submerge this in oil and depress the plunger of the lifter with a push rod---A bit messy.
When done rotate the crank a few revolutions and let things sit for some 20 minutes---this will allow the lifter preload to "settle-out"
Assembly tip----I liked to glue down the (2) cork gaskets used in the front and rear for the intake----a couple of dabs of RTV ADHESIVE and done. ALSO- don't forget to use a dab of RTV GASKET MAKER in the corners of these gaskets to ensure a proper seal with the intake.
OE lifters and a gasket kit should run under $150.
Have at it- it's a easy fun job.
A little something to qualify my comments---
100-0003_IMG.JPG

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Jacob-
Lifter change is very easy on these motors
Remove the intake
You'll see a metal form spanning over the lifters---2 bolts and remove---Be sure to keep pressure on this item as it may spring up a bit.
You'll then see what looks like a small short wrench spanning between a pair of lifters--simply lift this off. Note the orientation-There's and UP and DOWN (part should be labeled). FYI- these keep the lifter from rotating so the roller tip contacts the cam correctly.
Lift the old roller lifter from its' bore...it's a bit tight due to the height of the casting about the bore but should not be an issue.
Drop in your new lifters and done
BE SURE to let the new lifters soak in a bath of oil for some 60 minutes BEFORE assembly or you can make a simple jig from a block of 2x4 , submerge this in oil and depress the plunger of the lifter with a push rod---A bit messy.
When done rotate the crank a few revolutions and let things sit for some 20 minutes---this will allow the lifter preload to "settle-out"
Assembly tip----I liked to glue down the (2) cork gaskets used in the front and rear for the intake----a couple of dabs of RTV ADHESIVE and done. ALSO- don't forget to use a dab of RTV GASKET MAKER in the corners of these gaskets to ensure a proper seal with the intake.
OE lifters and a gasket kit should run under $150.
Have at it- it's a easy fun job.
A little something to qualify my comments---View attachment 169043
I knew someone on here had done this before, lol. I really appreciate the in-depth write up, thanks!!