GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on 2021 GLI Autobahn vs 2022 GTI - Input appreciated

fmpro

What's up folks! I'm going to need a new car fairly soon although I could manage to wait until the 2022 GTIs hit the dealerships if need be. That said, the local dealer has a 21 GLI Autobahn, DSG, Black Package plus a few other options....due to arrive at their dealership in a few weeks (no markups). I know the 2022 GTI is going to be top dog performance wise, but from my understanding the GTI S starts in the low 30s. The loaded Autobahn GLI is pretty tempting at 34k. Has anyone actually driven one by chance? Is it as much fun to drive as the 21 GTI? Torn on this one and would appreciate some input. I can hold the car for $500 but it's non-refundable, hence my dilemma.

Thanks!

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
In terms of daily driving I don't think there would be a huge difference between the GTI and GLI...if anything the GLI would be more comfortable due to the longer wheelbase and would likely get better fuel economy when cruising as sedans are more aerodynamic.

Despite being a Golf owner, if I had to do it over again I would get a Jetta purely based on them being SIGNIFICANTLY better equipped, despite being cheaper than a comparable Golf.

Also, will you utilize the hatch-sized opening more than 1-2 times a year?

fmpro

In terms of daily driving I don't think there would be a huge difference between the GTI and GLI...if anything the GLI would be more comfortable due to the longer wheelbase and would likely get better fuel economy when cruising as sedans are more aerodynamic.

Despite being a Golf owner, if I had to do it over again I would get a Jetta purely based on them being SIGNIFICANTLY better equipped, despite being cheaper than a comparable Golf.

Also, will you utilize the hatch-sized opening more than 1-2 times a year?
Hey thanks for chiming in man. I hadn't considered the comfort factor but that makes sense. I'm leaning towards the GLI for a few reasons.
  • The convenience of being able to actually purchase a new car from a dealership without waiting months or paying ridiculous markups (the salesperson just texted me sine my OP and the car is on a truck and in transit).
  • As you pointed out, the GLI is very well equipped compared to the GTI.....I'm surprised more GTI fans haven't jumped ship.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Hey thanks for chiming in man. I hadn't considered the comfort factor but that makes sense. I'm leaning towards the GLI for a few reasons.
  • The convenience of being able to actually purchase a new car from a dealership without waiting months or paying ridiculous markups (the salesperson just texted me sine my OP and the car is on a truck and in transit).
  • As you pointed out, the GLI is very well equipped compared to the GTI.....I'm surprised more GTI fans haven't jumped ship.

I think the GLI's are just harder to find overall than the GTIs. I feel like for every 5 GTIs a dealer has, they have 1 GLI. For me the GLI is more a rare breed than the GTI. At least in my neck of the woods where I see GTIs everywhere I turn and see the OCCASIONAL GLI...

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Sedan. Haha!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
As someone who’s had 2 GLIs before my GTI… but always liked the idea or vibe of a GTIs more - yes you’ll enjoy the trunk space and top features for a lower dollar but you’ll alway see the GTI and know that’s what you wanted instead of the “well it’s like a gti performance wise but from the shell/body of a teenage girls Jetta”

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The GLI is an economy sedan that's been nicely equipped. The GTI is a swiss army knife vehicle. If you need to haul people around often, get the Jetta. If you need to haul stuff around more often, get the GTI.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Some days I wish I got the GLI. I found my Jetta to be more practical space wise, thankfully my job doesn't require me to haul network equipment in my car anymore though so no biggie.

I had a base MK7 Jetta and I absolutely loved it after having hated my ex's MK6 Jetta, mainly due to the interior.

Would have been cool if they shoe horned that interior into the GTI IMO.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
My buddy has a 21 GLI autobahn in that cool grey color, it is a nice car if one seeks the sedan side of things. The GTI is a better drivers car IMO. If I were in your position, I would look at a very low mileage CPO GTI w/DSG. The money you save can go towards a DP and tune.