GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This whole craziness has got me thinking about pricing

cb1111

I'm not in the market - and not planning on being in the market, but has anyone recently used the Partner Program to buy a car?
IIRC, the Partner Program gave you pricing of $500 under invoice OR $500 off your negotiated price?

When I got my Alltrack in Nov 2020 (before the insanity), I used the Partner Program and the military discount to get $1000 off the negotiated price which more than compensated for the shipping (it wouldn't do that anymore either).

My second Alltrack in Feb 2021 wasn't officially new so no rebates applied, but I still got a bit of a discount - that one (1000 miles) was still a few hundred cheaper than the new one.

The first dealer now has a 2019 GTI SE with 13k miles for $32k. MSRP was $33800.

Today, anything off MSRP would be a good price - $1000 off MSRP would be a steal.

Of course, neither rebate applies (or applied) to the R.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I got almost 4K off sticker OTD on the wife’s GLI Autobahn DSG in March 2021.

Today with 15k miles on it it’s still worth more than I paid, but we love it and have no plans to switch things up. Plus, 0% for 60 months is nice & currently not available last I day dreamed about a Mk8 & looked.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Correct. The partner program would be a great deal. I'm just curious if anyone tried it recently.
It "should" still work....since VW reimburses the money back to the dealer. I don't think it works on the ID.4 (since it's in high demand) or on the Golf R though (and pretty sure it never was eligible)

Side note...I just used my dad's FCA employee discount (twice) just a few months ago. Not all dealers were honoring it though, and trying to be greedy

cb1111

I got almost 4K off sticker OTD on the wife’s GLI Autobahn DSG in March 2021.

Today with 15k miles on it it’s still worth more than I paid, but we love it and have no plans to switch things up. Plus, 0% for 60 months is nice & currently not available last I day dreamed about a Mk8 & looked.
Ahhhh, the good old days....

It looks like we've come full circle. In the '60's and 70's, my parents paid MSRP with a little discount. Then came the "Japanese invasion" with ADP (Additional Dealer Profit) markups and you paid roughly what the dealer was asking. Then came the internet with more haggling and the availability of "black books" to see what the dealers got the cars for. That escalated into people expecting huge discounts.

COVID (and the related supply chain issues) put us right back to the days ADP.

In September 2020, we traded my mom's Lexus 2002 rX300 with under 40k miles for about $4k (Carvana, Vroom etc.) were offering $2500. While looking at CarGurus yesterday, the least expensive RX300 is about $7500 with 150k+ miles.

Should I have waited? Probably not. Between VA private property tax ($250 or so), insurance (about the same), so we're looking at about $1000 for that. Add a broken reluctor ring and a nagging CEL - the CEL would disable the ABS so the broken reluctor ring didn't show its ugly head, so that would have probably been another grand or so too.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ahhhh, the good old days....

Im confident I could do it again today, if I buy a Mk8 I’ll disclose haha.

Part of the equation is being a repeat customer. I’ve purchased three new cars from my local dealership & came in for the assist on two more. They know I’ll be back.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
the prices today are insane. A friend just bought a new Pathfinder. $2000 over sticker and I'm thinking that was a deal.

cb1111

Two years ago (right before the troubles started), I was looking at a 4R TRD Pro as a job I was contemplating required a 50 mile drive in any weather conditions and perhaps before the plows hit the road. Back then, the local dealer had a handful and MSRP (a hair under $50k) was the price.

Job (luckily) didn't happen and I bought the two Alltracks. As I was in CarGurus a couple of days ago, I looked at TRD Pros - Looks like a 21 is in the $60k range now.

Scary.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Ah, thanks for reminding me about this. My wife has a '22 GLI on order (at MSRP) but works for Wells Fargo, which is part of the partner program. Gotta make sure she pursues this.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
This pricing is what happens in trade restricted countries (to an extent)

Parents bought a new Lancer in 92 in one of these countries for $40k. Guess what it's worth today with 180k km. Yep $40k. At least a few years ago it was. And this isn't desirable trim like an EVO, just a base model with steel wheels.

cb1111

Ah, thanks for reminding me about this. My wife has a '22 GLI on order (at MSRP) but works for Wells Fargo, which is part of the partner program. Gotta make sure she pursues this.
Don't forget that we get a percentage. Other incentives (military, grad) stack as well even though most dealers will tell you "no!" The PP folks are very responsive and if you give them a VIN then they'll send you the invoice pricing.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Don't forget that we get a percentage. Other incentives (military, grad) stack as well even though most dealers will tell you "no!" The PP folks are very responsive and if you give them a VIN then they'll send you the invoice pricing.
Good to know.. once she has a VIN I'll reach out to them again. They responded literally in 5 minutes today when I asked for WFB's partner code for the form.