GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This is why you buy the spare tire kit

FactoryR

Ready to race!
View attachment 174056

View attachment 174057

Had this happen to me yesterday leaving work. Pulled off into the middle median of a 6 lane road to fix it. Luckily I'd retrofitted the spare tire kit! Crossing my fingers the tire can be patched, tires are in great shape and it'd suck to have to buy a whole new set

Looks like what happened to me about a week after replacing all 4. Doubt they'll patch it. Hopefully you have hazard insurance through the tire shop.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Looks like what happened to me about a week after replacing all 4. Doubt they'll patch it. Hopefully you have hazard insurance through the tire shop.

Nope, bought the wheels/tires used last Fall, so no hazard insurance. Gonna be really bummed if I have to buy an entire new set of tires. Currently running 225-40-18, if I have to replace them then my only decision is whether to go with 235 or 245-40-18 tires...

FactoryR

Ready to race!
Nope, bought the wheels/tires used last Fall, so no hazard insurance. Gonna be really bummed if I have to buy an entire new set of tires. Currently running 225-40-18, if I have to replace them then my only decision is whether to go with 235 or 245-40-18 tires...

NTB told me they can't patch when the puncture is on the outer tread groove as its too close to the sidewall. Maybe they tell you differently.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
NTB told me they can't patch when the puncture is on the outer tread groove as its too close to the sidewall. Maybe they tell you differently.

Hopefully Discount Tire says they can fix it. Otherwise I'll be buying a brand new set of tires and have three really good Michelin Pilot Super Sports to sell

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Tire is toast unfortunately. Luckily Tire Rack still sells this Michelin Pilot Super Sport and can shave it down to match the tread depth of the remaining 3 tires. So I only had to buy one tire instead of a full set. Score!

FactoryR

Ready to race!
Tire is toast unfortunately. Luckily Tire Rack still sells this Michelin Pilot Super Sport and can shave it down to match the tread depth of the remaining 3 tires. So I only had to buy one tire instead of a full set. Score!

Gotta admit I've never heard of tires being shaved down.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Gotta admit I've never heard of tires being shaved down.

Snobbigp

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This my next purchase. Car has 2,000 on it and Sunday we were about to take off and 2 minutes on and car felt odd and the Tpms light kicked on. Nail in rear drivers side tire. Dead center. Pump worked great though lol

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
My shaved tire arrived from Tire Rack yesterday. Will get it installed tomorrow. Looking forward to getting off the donut

Crossle32

Passed Driver's Ed
Factory R:

When my wife raced sedans in SCCA some classes required the use of street legal tires. This was before the advent of DOT almost race type tires we now can buy. Since a full treaded radial can have a lot of squirm, we always shaved our new tires down to about 3/32".

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
I just put my kit in the car and laughed when I noticed it comes with a lug wrench but not the adapter to actually remove your lugs if you have an 'oh shit' along the highway.

I have the tools in my car (sockets, torque wrench, etc).. but c'mon now. The only thing I can use it for are the VW wheel locks if you have them.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Adapter? Not sure what you’re referring to? The car should have standard lug bolts, which the wrench works on. Then you use the key your car came with for the locking lug bolts, if you still have them.

those are the first things I remove from all my cars, I can’t stand locking lug bolts.

my kit came with everything I needed....