GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This is why you buy the spare tire kit

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
true, flat tires are why you buy the kit 🙃
I always thought that once you paid to put a spare in the trunk, it prevented you from getting a flat--sort of like if you bring an umbrella with you, it doesn't rain. BTW, I put a spare in my R almost 5 years ago and never got more than a slow leak ever since. Hmm. I think I'll knock on wood, just in case.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nothing. Quoting from their website..

Rotating and balancing your tires will help maintain even treadwear and maximize their longevity. If you purchased your tires at Discount Tire, we provide this essential service for the life of your tires.

So why are they charging more for it with the replacement warranty, when it's provided free with new tires? That's.. odd. "Free" might not be the right term - they charge a mount & balance fee when you buy, but from then forward, rotations and rebalancing (as required) are free. Been buying from these guys for decades.

The certificates are $24 per tire. Then there was a charge of $84 or $21 per tire for lifetime balancing and rotation.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Another nice foam mod (besides the one you did for the compressor) is to notch a couple spots across the top so you can put a 1/2" breaker bar where you have that wrench, just a cheap Harbor Freight to keep in the car. Buy a single deep 17mm socket for it and leave it on there. Sure beats the OEM lug wrench if a shop over torques them or you haven't rotated in a long while. I think you did something similar actually... Some kind of rubberized lug wrench?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I carry a Dynaplug kit, which is supposed to be good up to .165 inch punctures with the ability to bunch them up for a larger hole for small, clean punctures. They're hard to use though, especially on a rear tire, so I also carry a Slime 50122 air compressor/bottle unit that's supposed to be good up to 1/4". One other tip, always carry a flashlight, bottled water and some kind of cigarette lighter even if you don't live in a cold climate. I keep the lighter from my MK4. It's never been used since I quit before then. If all else fails, you call VW roadside assistance even if you're out of warranty, because they'll still hook you up with a towing company on their list.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Another nice foam mod (besides the one you did for the compressor) is to notch a couple spots across the top so you can put a 1/2" breaker bar where you have that wrench, just a cheap Harbor Freight to keep in the car. Buy a single deep 17mm socket for it and leave it on there. Sure beats the OEM lug wrench if a shop over torques them or you haven't rotated in a long while. I think you did something similar actually... Some kind of rubberized lug wrench?

I have the HF breaker bar. Never had an issue with it. When I owned a car with a spare I carried a 12 volt impact gun. It's not a true impact gun, it spins up like an electric drill, then once it's going fast (I suppose centrifugally) a weight engages and you get one thump. Then it automatically does it again. Compares with one of those bolt/nut removers you hit with a hammer. Takes a few tries but it's always loosened lugs for me even if they're put on with a air gun.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I have the HF breaker bar. Never had an issue with it. When I owned a car with a spare I carried a 12 volt impact gun. It's not a true impact gun, it spins up like an electric drill, then once it's going fast (I suppose centrifugally) a weight engages and you get one thump. Then it automatically does it again. Compares with one of those bolt/nut removers you hit with a hammer. Takes a few tries but it's always loosened lugs for me even if they're put on with a air gun.
Sounds pretty cool. The only impact I have is a small 18v Makita rated something like 1200 lb-in (100 lb-ft) and it can't ever crack lugs that I torque myself to 89. Makes perfect sense though, static friction being what it is.

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
I carry a Dynaplug kit, which is supposed to be good up to .165 inch punctures with the ability to bunch them up for a larger hole for small, clean punctures. They're hard to use though, especially on a rear tire, so I also carry a Slime 50122 air compressor/bottle unit that's supposed to be good up to 1/4". One other tip, always carry a flashlight, bottled water and some kind of cigarette lighter even if you don't live in a cold climate. I keep the lighter from my MK4. It's never been used since I quit before then. If all else fails, you call VW roadside assistance even if you're out of warranty, because they'll still hook you up with a towing company on their list.

those are great points on the flashlight and lighter..

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed

I did. It's extendable, so goes from ~12" to about ~18". Much better for getting the lug bolts out...

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Not sure if anyone is interested, but I bought a spare tire set from ModernSpare dot com recently for my other car since it too did not come with a spare. I optioned the jack, tools, case, for a delivered price of around $450 which I thought was pretty reasonable. (I just realized they don't have a set for VW.. you might want to ask).

I opened the box and it came with a quality wheel/tire, scissors jack with a detachable ratchet handle, telescoping breaker bar with various socket sizes, even a large plastic bag to place your wheel with flat in. Pretty cool. I tossed my jack adapter and wheel mounting pin and a couple disposable gloves into the case.

I'll leave the spare set at home, unless going for a long trip, and if I ever encounter a flat during my drive I'll call my son to bring it out to me.

Last edited:

FactoryR

Ready to race!
My local dealer sold me a jack intended for one of the suvs but we tested it out before I left, and have since used it on a road trip and works great. He sold it to me for dirt cheap for some unknown reason but basically just patched together a kit. Ridiculous you pay 40k+ for a new car that doesn't include a spare.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
If all else fails, you call VW roadside assistance even if you're out of warranty, because they'll still hook you up with a towing company on their list.

I have AAA+ service, which will give me a free flatbed for up to 100 miles. And that's great - as long as you're not WAY out in the sticks, and/or can't get a cell signal. If I were still up in metro Phoenix, I might not have sprung for the spare kit. But down here in the sticks, and with semi-frequent runs up to Nevada that cover some remote areas, I fell much better having a spare on board now.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My local dealer sold me a jack intended for one of the suvs but we tested it out before I left, and have since used it on a road trip and works great. He sold it to me for dirt cheap for some unknown reason but basically just patched together a kit. Ridiculous you pay 40k+ for a new car that doesn't include a spare.
Or run flats.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Donut Spare installed.jpg

Screw in tire.jpg

Had this happen to me yesterday leaving work. Pulled off into the middle median of a 6 lane road to fix it. Luckily I'd retrofitted the spare tire kit! Crossing my fingers the tire can be patched, tires are in great shape and it'd suck to have to buy a whole new set

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Punctures are a pain in the 'you know what' and not that common but always leave one a bit paranoid for while afterwards. That's about the size of screw / hole in my tyre, seems it had been in a few days but I could never find it. Hopefully your tyre can be repaired but in the UK I think the law says only the very centre treads can be repaired / plugged. Good luck and try not to be paranoid....