GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of selling my 2016, thoughts on value? (Poll Included)

How much do you think it will fetch Private Party?

• >$19,000

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • $18k to $18.9k

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • $17k to $17.9k

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • $16k to $16.9k

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • $15k to $15.9k

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • $14k to $14.9K

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • $13k - $13.9k

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • $12k - $12.9k

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • TreeFiddy!

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I don't criticise why folk do what they do to their cars (& bikes), hey it's their car (or bike) and maybe they got it 'just so' for them. While 'wiper delete' cleans up the rear hatch look and will improve the aero a bit, surely stuff gets thrown up over the rear window even in sunny climes and will therefore a bit of a faff / palava / hassle to clean off....

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Like others have eluded to; you can ask whatever you deem appropriate - just understand that no one is paying outright cash for it and they will eventually need cash out of pocket in addition to the loan.
You own it, so time is on your side and time will tell.
I however wouldn’t give up the GTI for a 2012 Porsche.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I don't criticise why folk do what they do to their cars (& bikes), hey it's their car (or bike) and maybe they got it 'just so' for them. While 'wiper delete' cleans up the rear hatch look and will improve the aero a bit, surely stuff gets thrown up over the rear window even in sunny climes and will therefore a bit of a faff / palava / hassle to clean off....
not surely when you also live in that sunny climate AND actually clean or have your car cleaned regularly.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Your car in KBB with Austin zip and all the things you have, comes to around
TRADE IN: 15,656-17,771 (Lets assume 13k, because stealership)
Private party: 17,152-19,485

If it was me, I would list for private sale 21k. Whatever you list for people will offer you a lot less. So if you really want like 18 lowest price, then list for 21k. People will offer a bag of chips lol glws

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Not with a ceramic coated window and a good car cleaning habit...

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
As reference, literally from these past 2 weeks, I've gotten trade in offers for mine ranging from $18K-$20K. No shenanigans with the price of the new car I'd be buying vs trade value either as the new car sale price is essentially the same everywhere for that model. Carmax offer was $17K lol guess I have to try carvana too.

This is for a 2017 sport 6MT with 12K miles that looks perfect from the outside but has obviously been lowered (+ some stickers lol).

Private sale is usually said to be the best route but having done it in the past, not sure if making an extra $1-2K is worth dealing with the idiots that come looking. Depends on the car....feel like its only worth it for an older or higher mile car that a dealer would offer you scraps for but some demand exists outside of what kbb values. Or something that's super easy to sell second hand like a tacoma.

Other than that, they usually want to make a sale on the new one enough to not to insult you with a complete lowball while still leaving room to make some money on the trade in. But ya......they're still stealerships lol convenience is going to cost you.

Just for fun I punched in my car’s info on Vroom and they sent me $14.7k offer for my 2015 GTI S (32k miles, manual, lighting package). If I was selling I’d certainly take it.
I’ve always punched mine into Carvana too. Was pretty disappointed they shot back $17,250. Went to Vroom and they said $18,825. I also noticed Vroom has a place where they ask about “mods that would increase value?”

Seems like Carvana and Vroom charge less of a penalty for modded cars vs dealership.