GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of purchasing a 2018 Golf R

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, even the Coni 5Ps weren't that great for a "Max" performance tire. They wore out fast. I'd rather have seen the Extreme Contact Sports. VW should provide optional summer tires for both the GTI & R.
Wait, the R came with 5P's? That's not terrible, much better than what they throw at us plebeians. I do wish they'd just have a Michelin 4S option, but ultimately, it's just a quick trip to Discount Tire anyway.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Wait, the R came with 5P's? That's not terrible, much better than what they throw at us plebeians. I do wish they'd just have a Michelin 4S option, but ultimately, it's just a quick trip to Discount Tire anyway.

Yep, the R came with 5 Ps. The side walls rolled easily and the edges of the tread were chewed up fairly easily as well. They were quieter than the Michelin's, but not as well rounded of a tire. I've got the 4S installed now and they are great other than noise when turning the wheel at slow speeds. I get some humming. I also had the EC Sports, they were SUPER quiet and comfortable, but forget any kind of aggressive driving on those. The side walls rolled so easily I'm surprised the edges of my wheels weren't touching the ground. Though, I did have them in a 19" which could have been the cause. I'm sure they would be better in an 18" instead.

Back to the topic at hand. I agree with everyone else here that the used car market is way too crazy to even think about buying a car. The only strategy in this market right now would be to trade in / sell something used to come up on some cash and then by a new car. I'd be worried about buying a modified R in the first place, regardless of the parts that are installed. I don't trust people doing the little things right. Broken clips, exposed wires, improper torqueing, reusing one time parts like stretch bolts. Now compound that with the current market. You're just asking for trouble.

I also don't think the MK8 is going to bring prices down on the MK7s & 7.5s that quickly either. Supply chain issues, semi conductor & chip shortages, prices of fuel and other related business overhead costs. It doesn't seem to be slowing down at all. Prices may take a slight hit because the newest model comes out, but most people aren't in the position to spend 45k+ on a car right now either. Not to mention if dealerships do decide to mark these things up, we could be looking at 50k before TTL. EVs also cost too much for most people, so expanding that market is going to be very difficult until those prices start to come down. We will see what happens when Tesla releases their EV for 25k. It's going to dominate the market.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Last bastion for used cars is in private sellers. I picked up a Mercedes ML for a deal by not going to any type of dealer. And to think I was going to pay 44.5k for an Atlas!!

All you need to do is get the car’s vin and plug it into Carvana or other online dealer and see what they will offer for it with it being in Excellent condition. That should give you a baseline of where you can offer at. If the car looks clean and drives straight as an arrow, wave the cash in the seller’s face and you will see that they start being more agreeable to your offered price. Especially with taxes due soon and holidays coming up, people will be enticed to have that extra cash!

d0m0kun

Car(s)
Golf R?
Decided to past on the 2018. Still looking, but most of the 2018-2019 models I have been looking at is at least 40-43k. :(

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Decided to past on the 2018. Still looking, but most of the 2018-2019 models I have been looking at is at least 40-43k. :(
for the price difference, why not play with the A3? It's not too far off a R
For $25k that you would literally piss away on the Golf R, you could have a LOT of fun with the A3.

Go with a IS38 hybrid or Garrett option (might as well go big if you are upgrading the IS20), downpipe, intercooler, ECU / TCU
Toss some springs on there and a rear sway bar - you will quickly forget wanting the Golf R, because you still have money in the bank

My brother was strongly considering it, since he too found the R's were too expensive...plus it would be weird if we had the same car lol. He ended up going with a M240i though since he found a phenomenal deal at a BMW dealership