GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of purchasing a 2018 Golf R

d0m0kun

Car(s)
Golf R?
At this point, I am probably going to wait for the 2022 Golf R to come out so the 2018 price can normalize. I was initially thinking about getting the 2022 Golf R, but in DSG, but I cannot deal with the stupid chicken nugget shifter and no physical hvac and audio controls.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I have heard about 034 and are they that bad?
They just seem to make a lot of products that don't last. Everybody that's bought the street version of their motor mounts has had to upgrade to BFI motor mounts later on. At this point nobody recommends their motor mounts and everybody says to get BFI.

cb1111

^^^This

The market is still too crazy right now...that's about what they were going for brand new (if you got it slightly discounted), and so you'd be overpaying if the market comes back to reality.
I'd wait it out or look for a better deal
You got that right. There is going to be a huge population that is going to be underwater overnight. The market is going to crash overnight.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I meant that people won’t want to “overpay” for their cars if they’re underwater
Just like how the housing market crashed and people defaulted instead of sticking with it

cb1111

I meant that people won’t want to “overpay” for their cars if they’re underwater
Just like how the housing market crashed and people defaulted instead of sticking with it
Right. They'll default on their 96 month 20% loan and they'll drive them into the ground before the repo man cometh.

Next year we'll see a glut of those cars. Prices on new and used cars will have come down and people will say "why am I driving a two year old car that I owe $15k more on that it is worth, when I can dump it and get a new one at a better price. If I time it right, I can get a new one before the old gets taken away and my credit tanks even more"

This'll be far worse than the housing market.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Right. They'll default on their 96 month 20% loan and they'll drive them into the ground before the repo man cometh.

Next year we'll see a glut of those cars. Prices on new and used cars will have come down and people will say "why am I driving a two year old car that I owe $15k more on that it is worth, when I can dump it and get a new one at a better price. If I time it right, I can get a new one before the old gets taken away and my credit tanks even more"

The housing market crash destroyed the economy and people's retirement. I don't see car values and defaults having anywhere near the impact.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
And issues with their strut mounts. They just don’t make good parts.

Let's not forget about their bendy dog bone insert and front springs that coil slap so bad that it sounds like the front of your car is transforming like a decepticon.

It's hard to engineer aftermarket parts better than a company that been around since 1937.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Let's not forget about their bendy dog bone insert and front springs that coil slap so bad that it sounds like the front of your car is transforming like a decepticon.

It's hard to engineer aftermarket parts better than a company that been around since 1937.
Yeah, they're solid with clutches, intercoolers, end links, tire selections, etc. It's not like you can't easily improve on the factory setup, just maybe not with 034.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Yeah, they're solid with clutches, intercoolers, end links, tire selections, etc. It's not like you can't easily improve on the factory setup, just maybe not with 034.

Tire selection isn't a part. End links I'll give you, but the main reason people blow things up is because they add more power. Clutches on the MK7 are fine until tuned.

Front strut bushings are a perfect example. OEM is the way to go. No noise, at all. I'd also argue that the fitment of most aftermarket parts don't compare to OEM. Even the BFI insert is a complete bitch to get into the slot, though most people screw that up because they remove the carrier bolt before inserting the mount.

There are a few companies that know what they are doing and properly R&D products before releasing them. 034 obviously isn't one of them.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Tire selection isn't a part. End links I'll give you, but the main reason people blow things up is because they add more power. Clutches on the MK7 are fine until tuned.

Front strut bushings are a perfect example. OEM is the way to go. No noise, at all. I'd also argue that the fitment of most aftermarket parts don't compare to OEM. Even the BFI insert is a complete bitch to get into the slot, though most people screw that up because they remove the carrier bolt before inserting the mount.

There are a few companies that know what they are doing and properly R&D products before releasing them. 034 obviously isn't one of them.
VW doesn't manufacture any of those parts. Sachs makes most of them, and Sachs is sort of the 034 of German parts suppliers. Hence, my mentioning tires, VW USA gives us crap tires, plain and simple.

VW does solid engineering, plenty of aftermarket parts are a solid downgrade. But there's always room for improvement on something like a GTI/R, at least in the performance direction, but of course it will result in more noise and NVH. A GT3 or GT4 isn't nearly as comfortable as our cars, but it's not really meant to be. If you want to track a GTI/R, you need to toss lots of the factory pieces that are really compliant. It's not VW's fault that they're that way, they're more comfortable and quiet, and that's what 97% of buyer want, sort of like crappy all seasons. I get why they're on there, but throw us a bone and give us decent ones like Michelins, Contis or Pirellis.

And one more time, we're absolutely on the same page with 034. I'm actually running their upper and lower inserts and they've been fine, but I would probably just go ProFlex if I knew then what I know now.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
VW doesn't manufacture any of those parts. Sachs makes most of them, and Sachs is sort of the 034 of German parts suppliers. Hence, my mentioning tires, VW USA gives us crap tires, plain and simple.

VW does solid engineering, plenty of aftermarket parts are a solid downgrade. But there's always room for improvement on something like a GTI/R, at least in the performance direction, but of course it will result in more noise and NVH. A GT3 or GT4 isn't nearly as comfortable as our cars, but it's not really meant to be. If you want to track a GTI/R, you need to toss lots of the factory pieces that are really compliant. It's not VW's fault that they're that way, they're more comfortable and quiet, and that's what 97% of buyer want, sort of like crappy all seasons. I get why they're on there, but throw us a bone and give us decent ones like Michelins, Contis or Pirellis.

And one more time, we're absolutely on the same page with 034. I'm actually running their upper and lower inserts and they've been fine, but I would probably just go ProFlex if I knew then what I know now.

Yeah, even the Coni 5Ps weren't that great for a "Max" performance tire. They wore out fast. I'd rather have seen the Extreme Contact Sports. VW should provide optional summer tires for both the GTI & R.