Ready to race!
oh i get it.. ha

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
to prepare for a 911 in a couple of years.

That's a great car to make you regret chit....

I dreamed and schemed my way into a 911, and have had several boxster and Cayman, along with AMG's and M's, lots of pretty great cars, but the 911 is the only car that underwhelmed me. I still like Porsche a lot, I would buy one again used box/cayman, but for the money on a 911... nah.... you might have to go there to figure it out, there are worse things in life, but you wind up spending 2x the price of a vette, and it can barely beat one around a track. You have to want the non-performance side of the Porsche, exclusivity, PCCA, makes your garage smell good etc... because you aint buying it to be the fastest guy on the block...

All that said, I love my GTI, I have driven a C43, thats a great car, but the GTI never fails to make me smile, its a bargain, its reliable, its a cult car, everyone likes them, smart, practical, cheap, utilitarian.... the R rips for a few more bucks. No one looks at you sideways, you can drive like a jackass an no one blinks an eye.... if it gets a scratch you wont lose any sleep

I was thinking about buying the new C8 next year, but honestly, I may just drive the GTI another 18 months and get a MK8 R, half price, and I KNOW I wont get two years down the road and wonder why I bought it....

SteamboatUSA

Car(s)
‘19 MK7.5 6MT APR+
Nah the whole point of going back to an MK7 is really to just put some cash back into my car fund to prepare for a 911 in a couple of years.

And so this is what I am thinking as well. I want the R for more power + i've come to enjoy AWD. But then again, slightly used GTI's are going for $8k less than an R and given my reasoning for doing this above, it could be much more advantageous to my goals!

get the r and roll it off the lot with a stage one on it and you’ll be golden. Best of both worlds, and I can’t imagine the $800-$1,400 would crush the Porsche idea.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
get the r and roll it off the lot with a stage one on it and you’ll be golden. Best of both worlds, and I can’t imagine the $800-$1,400 would crush the Porsche idea.

At the end, R is performance version of a golf and can never match the driving dynamics or the feel of a 911. Porsche has developed / fine tuned that platform over decades and its a dream vehicle for many enthusiasts for a reason.

Green SVT

Car(s)
19 Golf R, 98 M3
I sold my C55 for a Golf R because of MPG and damn do I miss the power of the AMG
Did you have a w203 C55? I had an 06 I sold in December to get my 19. MPG's as well. And surprisingly, I don't miss the power as much as I thought I would. The Golf seems every bit as quick from zero to about 80.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Buying really expensive performance cars and ditching them because of fuel economy is hard to wrap my head around.

Its like... you knew it got 19 mpg on the highway going into the deal right?

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Buying really expensive performance cars and ditching them because of fuel economy is hard to wrap my head around.

Its like... you knew it got 19 mpg on the highway going into the deal right?
i think he meant 2019, not 19 mpg lol

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
Did you have a w203 C55? I had an 06 I sold in December to get my 19. MPG's as well. And surprisingly, I don't miss the power as much as I thought I would. The Golf seems every bit as quick from zero to about 80.
ya a W203 the R is no where near as fast and can't get sideways

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Still debating. Its been a week and the dealer called me today asking if i were still interested. I'm guessing that no one has moved on the car if its been on the lot over a week.

I had backed off doing this for a bit, but now i'm thinking i'll toss an offer in.

As others have noted, its not a matter of money or MPG. Its a matter of principle to me. I had worked my butt off to really be able to afford an AMG (or the like) and when I got it I was so proud. But now that I've had it I can say it just simply isn't as fun to rip around town as my GTI was. Not to mention i'm having a whole host of weird electronics issues in the AMG that is pretty alarming.

I see it as the R, with a stick, will be a net gain financially (just a bonus) but mainly more fun and will hold its value better.

Though I'll still hate to see the AMG leave my garage, because its such a cool and classy car.

We'll see what the dealer says on my offer.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The R is heavier and won't be quite as nimble as your GTI was. Something to consider since that seems to be what you miss the most?