GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of coming back..

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Title says it all.

I owned a 2016 GTI Autobahn for just over 3 years and really enjoyed every day of ownership. Then the opportunity came to buy a basically brand new (900mi,) fully loaded, Mercedes C43 AMG at a phenomenal price. This was a car I had been eyeballing for well over a year and i just couldn't pass up the deal.

I took the plunge and for the past 6 months I've had the AMG in my garage. It is such a treat to climb in every day. The exhaust note is music to my ears coming from the quiet GTI and of course the premium finishes are truly special.

...But I quickly missed my GTI...

The driving difference is night and day. The GTI was a nimble go kart. I really felt like I could have fun in it; Winding out the RPMs, taking round-a-bouts with great speed, etc. Whereas the AMG is just power. I feel like I can't ever get the most out of it (even for just a 390HP 6-cylinder "fake" AMG.) The car just takes off when you hit the throttle and instantly you're going well over the speed limit. But the exhaust notes.......

Anyway, there is an R that i'm eye-balling. Lapiz Blue, manual transmission; All it needs is the black prets and It would be the spec I wanted (but couldn't afford) when I first bought my GTI. If i make this deal it'll put a lot of cash back into my pocket and I'd basically have the R paid off after a couple months. Doing an "in-home" test drive tomorrow and we'll see where it takes me.

I know this is more of me just talking out loud, but I think it really speaks to just how damn good this mk7 platform is. I have a fully loaded AMG and I still miss some of the character that the Golf platform provides..

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I think the R will spark some of that love you had for the Gti, but might not match it. The Gti being lighter definitely results in a more nimble feel, but coming from the AMG that difference might be negligible.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I came back to a MK7, zero regrets.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
OR trade up to the C63 S... More loud, more brute force, and more cylinders. Just saying.
Nah the whole point of going back to an MK7 is really to just put some cash back into my car fund to prepare for a 911 in a couple of years.
I think the R will spark some of that love you had for the Gti, but might not match it. The Gti being lighter definitely results in a more nimble feel, but coming from the AMG that difference might be negligible.
And so this is what I am thinking as well. I want the R for more power + i've come to enjoy AWD. But then again, slightly used GTI's are going for $8k less than an R and given my reasoning for doing this above, it could be much more advantageous to my goals!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nah the whole point of going back to an MK7 is really to just put some cash back into my car fund to prepare for a 911 in a couple of years.

And so this is what I am thinking as well. I want the R for more power + i've come to enjoy AWD. But then again, slightly used GTI's are going for $8k less than an R and given my reasoning for doing this above, it could be much more advantageous to my goals!

Light mods on a gti are all it needs to fill the power void anyway. It’s definitely a buyers market so you can get a good deal on either, but I personally can justify the premium for an R (no 1/4 mile record admirations or snow to speak of)

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Light mods on a gti are all it needs to fill the power void anyway. It’s definitely a buyers market so you can get a good deal on either, but I personally can justify the premium for an R (no 1/4 mile record admirations or snow to speak of)

Yep very true. Honestly I slapped Indy500 tires on my car about 2 months before selling it and it made the car feel new again. I feel like good rubber and a JB4 would make a world of difference.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I would keep your AMG, get a new Golf-R MT. They have the 0 APR 72months, no payment for 180 days or something going on. It's the perfect time. My area is pretty much completely sold out of the DSG Golf-R's, but they have a handful of MT ones still left.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
It great to see repeat customers. I sold my 2016 GTI and bought another 2019 as i missed the vehicle in my garage.

With another GTI, you will reach your 911 fund goal even quicker. People are reporting great deals on 2019 leftovers with People's warranty.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Careful how loud you say that!