GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking about trading 2017 Civic Si for new GTI

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Wait a sec, you are telling me I've been storing my cargo cover in my garage when I could have been putting it under the floor this whole time?!? Wow, i feel dumb

But think of all those grams you shaved off your ride by keeping it in your garage. Now that's a good free mod and dedication to performance ?

You've at least been using the extra cargo space by dropping the hatch floor ~2" lower right?

themaincop

Your mileage may vary I guess, but I think you'd really struggle to fit two hockey bags stacked on top of one another behind the seats even with the cargo cover removed. The fit should have a taller cargo area, I'd think.

Well I'm glad you mentioned it, when I test drive I'll definitely swing by the house and see if my wife and I can fit our hockey bags in the hatch.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
OP: "How dumb is this"?
Hard to answer you OP without knowing your debt to income ratio, salary, etc. etc. If you are asking the question, sounds like you are doubting it yourself. Go drive a GTI several times first. If you're going to lose $4k, it all depends on how smart that is to you and yours. If you can afford it - get the car you want. Otherwise, you're going to do just fine driving your money's worth out of that Honda. What worries me is your comment about leasing - you've either got money to burn or lots to learn! ;)

fredothechimp

Passed Driver's Ed
Having access/owning both (16 Manual GTI and 19 SI) I'd probably say you won't see a ton of difference in the tech (getting volume knob back is nice for the 17, the 2020 SI has better tech imo), or interior (the bolster is nicer on the GTI forsure, but I'd say the quality difference is somewhat a wash).

I don't think the oil dilution on the Honda 1.5t motors is going to be an issue long term and your probably not going to see improvements in service costs across the platforms. The VW has its quirks as well.

However, if you want the automatic the GTI with the DSG is really the best industry option and driver visibility is amazing.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
yeah, definitely don't trade it in. You're going to lose all your money.

....and as you're in Ontario--have you looked at the Rabbit edition? The Canada Rabbit is awesome--better than the one we get in the US. ...when you say new, you do mean 2019, right? It's also decently cheaper than the Autobahn and, from what I recall, pricing in Canada puts the R really close in cost to the Autobahn, so you almost have to go with an R if you are actually looking at an Autobahn....

lol, I'm probably not helping.

btw, I am also a long-time Honda person, and was considering the Si. ...I didn't drive one though, because I can't stand the styling...well, I kinda like it, briefly, in spurts, but it's not something that I could ever live with long-term. Also, the interior just seems junky compared to the VW. I was coming from a Mazda3 (2008), and wanted to make a serious move into something nicer on the inside.

Last edited:

CFB_GTA

Passed Driver's Ed
Gti is the better all rounder, and you pay a hefty premium for that. It is not worth it financially in your case, but it's only money right? IIRC, the trunk of the civic is much larger than the golf's.

Buy a 15k miata and a 15k mazda 3 hatch is my vote.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hard to answer you OP without knowing your debt to income ratio, salary, etc. etc. If you are asking the question, sounds like you are doubting it yourself. Go drive a GTI several times first. If you're going to lose $4k, it all depends on how smart that is to you and yours. If you can afford it - get the car you want. Otherwise, you're going to do just fine driving your money's worth out of that Honda. What worries me is your comment about leasing - you've either got money to burn or lots to learn! ;)

Spot on. Leasing is the most expensive way to get a car. Plus since the OP modded his Civic he'll end up wanting to mod the GTI and won't be able to with a lease.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Gti is the better all rounder, and you pay a hefty premium for that. It is not worth it financially in your case, but it's only money right? IIRC, the trunk of the civic is much larger than the golf's.

Buy a 15k miata and a 15k mazda 3 hatch is my vote.

A hefty premium? He paid $32 K for the SI.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
If you're asking me, I stuck with manual in my GTI, so can't really give you a proper opinion on the DSG as I've only driven one with DSG a few times. Then again, stop and go traffic has never bothered me driving manual.

From everything I've read on these forums in the numerous DSG vs Manual threads the past few years, I have yet to see anyone that switched from manual GTI to DSG GTI really regret it. And as someone above mentioned, the manual is only okay especially compared to the unit in the Si. And the pedal placements in the GTI makes it difficult to heel toe, which is really the only thing I miss from my old Civic Si (that and the go kart handling after Eibach sportline and Koni yellow mods).

The DSG is one of the best auto units out there (especially in that price range of vehicles) and will be more fun off the line from a dig than manual. Also if you hate stop and go with manual, then you will love the DSG coupled with ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control).

What method of heel toe do you use? I’m doing it in every drive I make, easier than a ton of cars I’ve owned... especially during trail braking.

chrisk03

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI-AB DSG
You're not alone - I had no idea either!
Wait a sec, you are telling me I've been storing my cargo cover in my garage when I could have been putting it under the floor this whole time?!? Wow, i feel dumb

Add me to the “dumb club”, as well. :) Also had no idea about this, so fantastic news.

As for the OP, probably a bad financial move, especially if you are moving from owning to leasing. Find a used GTI, if you really want to make the move, and buy.

Subito

Ready to race!
I hope you folks also know that the cargo cover can be hung vertically behind the front seats via the plastic hooks on the B pillars. Not useful when you have rear seat passengers, but very helpful when you lots of cargo in the hatch and don’t want to unload the hatch area in order to store the cover underneath it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Got to remember that one!