GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Things I learned from performing my first ever oil change.

The_Essbee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16 GTI Reflex Silver
Overall theme seems to be as anything is: You get what you pay for. Initially being the cheapskate I am I just wanted to get everything I needed to be as close to the cost of someone to perform the oil change. Did a pretty good job. After performing the oil change though some of the things mentioned might be a worthwhile investment.
$40 for an oil extractor seems right. Avoids the hassle I had of jacking up car and getting underneath it but I see it as a one dimensional product. It would only be good for oil changes done only so often.
$240 for the ramps mentioned was way out of the question for me initially but would have made it much easier and they could be used in all sorts of future applications. I did initially want to buy ramps but never found ones that weren't going to scrape the front of the car.
$17 for a freaking funnel seems extreme especially because I was only prepared to use a $0.99 one but dang if you don't see me using one of those next time haha. (Thanks monsta)

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Now start getting your oil change kits from FCP Euro and take advantage of their lifetime replacement program. It's like heaven for cheapskates.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I had to do some quick research on that, its mind-blowing that they would take back used oil lol
Honestly need to get on that as well. Literally too good to be true, and yet here we are.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Has anyone actually returned oil to them? Are there any catches like how many miles between changes etc?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
https://www.instagram.com/fcpeurolrg/
You have to purchase the oil before you can return the old oil for a credit. And then you've got to ship the oil back to them, which can easily cost as much as 5 qt jug of castrol edge. (You pay shipping)

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone actually returned oil to them? Are there any catches like how many miles between changes etc?
I have returned 3 oil changes. No catches, you just have to pay shipping out of pocket.

You have to purchase the oil before you can return the old oil for a credit. And then you've got to ship the oil back to them, which can easily cost as much as 5 qt jug of castrol edge. (You pay shipping)
yep. It's how I justify my use of the expensive LiquiMoly products. An oil change kit ends up costing me about $22 out of pocket (the cost to ship the used one back).

So right now I am due for an oil change in about 1000 miles. I have the previous oil change kit boxed up and sitting in my garage ready to be shipped back. I will purchase the new kit and be charged $55.xx. I will complete the lifetime replacement/return form online which links the purchase of the previous kit to the recent purchase of the new kit. I will ship the old oil back (cost is about $22 for me). Once FCP receives the old oil, they inspect what you returned to them and credit your card for the full purchase price of the new oil kit ($55.xx).

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I'm still shocked people do that, I get their policy allows it but that seems like exploitation. I'd be embarrassed to do it but that's just me.
Yeah, the first time I sent an oil change back I felt bad, like I was almost cheating or stealing them. But I called and talked to their customer service team one time and that person was adamant that they love to do it and its one of the cornerstones to how/why they feel they are such a successful parts supplier. Anytime I need parts, they are my go to place to shop now too, so they definitely keep getting more of my money (thanks VAG for all the stuff that keeps breaking).

Obviously, whatever they are doing allows them to keep the lights on...lol. Running two cars in the PWC series can't be cheap. I bet the race team uses the Lifetime Replacement program too! :giggle:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Also take a look at Motiv-X oil funnel if you're gonna be doing this regularly https://www.motivxtools.com/products/advanced-engine-oil-funnel-for-newer-1-8l-and-2-0l-vw-vehicles

This funnels amazing. You can also get it on Amazon for the same price with Prime shipping.

Things I learned from performing my first ever oil change:

They are messy.

Things I learned from performing my latest oil change last week, 17 years and 25/30 oil changes later:

They are still just as messy.

One of these days, I'll change my oil without dumping the first few seconds of oil drainage all over my garage floor. And that day will probably be the day I finally buy an extractor.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've always changed my own oil on all my cars, but for $70 after coupon at my local dealer, I'll gladly pay them. After the price of synthetic oil and new oem filter, paying an extra ~$20 or so to have them do the work and dispose of the old oil is well worth it IMO. Not to mention the overall vehicle inspection and topping off fluids.

If you buy oil during rebate times (i.e. Mobil 1 often works out to be 10-12 bucks for 5qt) and bulk buy filters you can save a heck of a lot more than $20 on your 70 (Oil and Man filter combined I'm at no more than $22 a change). Disposal of old oil not a problem either round my way, free at Advance Auto 5 mins up the street.

With an extractor it's done and dusted in much less time than it would be to drive to a dealer and hang around.