GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Things I learned from performing my first ever oil change.

The_Essbee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16 GTI Reflex Silver
So I've been the proud owner of my '16 GTI for six months now and it was time to do an oil change. Like you, I want the best for my car. After considering my options in my small town I thought I would perform the oil change myself. I'd never done one myself on any other vehicle so I watched videos and read threads. I felt I'd learned enough and I'm physically capable so after receiving the oil change kit I bought on ECStuning I dove in. Here's a few things probably only a complete noob like myself learned and will hopefully help others in the future:

1. It's cheaper
I purchased the LiquiMoly MolyGen oil change kit for $49. I didn't have an oil filter socket ($15), or an oil drain pan ($4) so I bought those. I already had access to a funnel, jack and stands. My wife paid $78 for her oil change on her vehicle the same week so considering I got the oil change and necessary tools for $10 cheaper I'm pretty happy. It will only be cheaper in the future without the tool purchases.

2. Don't use the cheap $4 oil drain pan
Sticking with the price point, I found the cheap lidless oil pan not a good choice. I performed the oil change on my driveway no problem, but then wanted to transfer the drained oil a sealed container for transport to Autozone for recycling. It was nerve wracking carrying the nearly full pan of oil to my dirt driveway where I'd transfer it to the other container. Once over the dirt I ended up spilling a little oil when trying to aim for the funnel (see next point). I'll spend $6 more and get a drain pan that can be sealed.

3. The funnel choice matters.
I already had a cheap funnel I thought would be sufficient for adding new oil and also for transferring the used oil. The funnel was too short and it caused me to take a leap of faith in my aim to put the new oil into the engine. Thankfully I didn't spill any but the thought of spilling enough to have to wait another week for more oil to arrive sucked. I also had to hold the funnel steady with one hand while my other arm got quite tired holding up the 5L bottle of new oil as I was pouring it in. I dared not stop to rest and restart again because I didn't want to have to aim and potentially miss the funnel again. It took much longer than I had expected. Repeat same troubles when transferring used oil to container for recycling except I had to use both hands to hold the pan and neither was able to steady the funnel. Get a tall, wide mouth funnel.

4. Make sure your jack goes up high enough (or use a block of wood).
As I said above, I already had access to a jack and stands but the jack did not go up high enough to be able to easily get the jack stands under the vehicle. This took me the longest time and was the most frustrating. It was only after the fact that I thought a block of wood between the jack and the car would have helped greatly.

5. Have your tools/supplies ready before starting.
Really annoying finally getting the car raised only to have to go hunt down the drain pan and socket that you put in the shed...no...garage...no...backyard...no...definitely garage.

6. Its not as intimidating as you think.
I've always been hesitant to do any work on a vehicle because it is a relatively expensive item I own. The fear that one wrong move will render your $20,000 +- car a brick crept in when deciding whether I wanted to do this myself or not. In basic form though it isn't complicated. Out with the old, in with the new. Plus the confidence I have to do other work has increased. I'm looking at other mods and saying, "I can do that".

These have been just a few tid-bits that stuck with me. Maybe you've known these all along or you are where I was a few days ago asking yourself if you could be a DIYer.

-SB

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Get an oil extractor. Then you don't need to jack up the car, or change the drain plug, or worry about having a special drain catcher. (You just pour the extractor into empty jugs). It's so easy you'll wonder why anyone would ever pay to have their oil changed. And Welcome!

It's so ridiculous. I love it.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
If you prefer to drain as I do, then look into purchasing a set of Race Ramps for this job and other work. Got a set of RR-56-2 ( piece) for about $240 from Amazon.

carrots

Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI Rabbit
I have a new car with no tunes and was just wondering if I start changing the oil myself, if anything happens to the car that fixing, do dealerships usually ask for documentation about proper service intervals for my car to still be covered under warranty? Not sure if what I'm saying makes sense, just trying to type fast since i'm at work

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I have a new car with no tunes and was just wondering if I start changing the oil myself, if anything happens to the car that fixing, do dealerships usually ask for documentation about proper service intervals for my car to still be covered under warranty? Not sure if what I'm saying makes sense, just trying to type fast since i'm at work
Purchase oil & filter from dealer and keep receipt along with picture of mileage as mentioned above if really concerned.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I've always changed my own oil on all my cars, but for $70 after coupon at my local dealer, I'll gladly pay them. After the price of synthetic oil and new oem filter, paying an extra ~$20 or so to have them do the work and dispose of the old oil is well worth it IMO. Not to mention the overall vehicle inspection and topping off fluids.

Congrats on doing the job yourself though. It's always good to know how and it gives you an opportunity to inspect other things in the engine and front suspension while you're there.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
props for learning...you didn't mention obvious of triple checking oil level before starting and double checking for leaks. All of us started somewhere mostly with friends/family teaching. Max respect for doing this on your own

Mud

Navi

Autocross Champion
Things I learned from performing my first ever oil change:

They are messy.

Things I learned from performing my latest oil change last week, 17 years and 25/30 oil changes later:

They are still just as messy.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
I find that oil & oil filter on the newer VAG group cars are very easy.
As they can be done top side with an oil extractor and the filter is
within easy reach. So satisfying to me and I know it is done correctly
and that the correct oil is used. 508.00 0W20 for the 2019 GTI.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Couple things to add. Check oil level when car is at temperature so you account for expansion. Also, I look for oil rebates and then stock up.