GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

They towed my DSG in a horrible way!! HELP

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
You can't tow a car by the front wheels in park - not possible/you would drag the tires as they won't turn and it would be broken (not just feeling a little strange) if so - would have to be in N. P is a physical lock out. Story is goofy to me. Tow companies tow cars all the time - I would think it was towed correctly.
Not in Greece, primarily manual transmissions there.... Not sure regular tow, joe blow knows whats up.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Not in Greece, primarily manual transmissions there.... Not sure regular tow, joe blow knows whats up.
Yes he has a DSG so then he dragged it down the street with the front wheels locked? Tires would be flat on one side.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
He says he saw the wheels turning.

If the car is indeed not damaged, we can assume the car was not in park.

How did it get into N?

Aliens, obviously.
Exactly. Aliens.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Yes he has a DSG so then he dragged it down the street with the front wheels locked? Tires would be flat on one side.
We sure the DSG locks like that? Maybe there is a feature that when tilted they would unlock? Just throwing out guesses.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
We sure the DSG locks like that? Maybe there is a feature that when tilted they would unlock? Just throwing out guesses.

I did post the repair page for the parking lock for his DSG ......go back & read the discussion between myself & the OP..

DSG/autos are more common over here in Europe in the past 10yrs...so the tow company would know the difference in the stick design i.e. its a DSG...& remember we had the MK7 since late 2013...

Only thing "if" the story is correct is that the parking lock has a breakaway function if the car is tilted/towed which might link to the alarm..... :unsure:

cb1111

Right, and even if it were a stick, they would do damage if the car were in gear, so most (all?) towing companies wouldn't tow a car with wheels on the ground.

cb1111

He says he saw the wheels turning.

If the car is indeed not damaged, we can assume the car was not in park.

How did it get into N?

Aliens, obviously.
I think that the OP may have believed that he saw the wheels turning, but I doubt that anybody would really look that closely when they see their car being dragged away. The brain can play all sorts of tricks on use when we try to remember.

I think, very simplified, if the car still drives and goes into park, then the wheels weren't turning.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think that the OP may have believed that he saw the wheels turning, but I doubt that anybody would really look that closely when they see their car being dragged away. The brain can play all sorts of tricks on use when we try to remember.

I think, very simplified, if the car still drives and goes into park, then the wheels weren't turning.
This

panos_lympe

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.6 TDI
You guys make me emotional helping me out on this one.

I had just ran 5km I was sweaty af and mind might did tricks when I saw my golf going away.

The story is what I remember , that’s why I posted here because *obviously* you are more informed than me.

When I drive it everyday and press the accelerator pedal, I *think* I can feel the transmission gears on my foot… can’t recall if the vehicle behaved same way before.

Damn why didn’t I just take a picture? I mean these days , we taking pictures for every little thing.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
This should be a simple answer. Is there a flat spot on the tires, yes or no?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
not if they were turning after messing something up....

My vote is listen to your mechanic he/she is the one that would profit if work was needed. If they say it's good stick with that.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion