GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermostat housing and water pump fail.

Mooseman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 TT RS
I bought my 2016 used in November with 49k miles. Previous owner had replaced the thermostat housing at 40k miles.

Lucky me, it started leaking again at 56k.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I bought my 2016 used in November with 49k miles. Previous owner had replaced the thermostat housing at 40k miles.

Lucky me, it started leaking again at 56k.

Fight it. Call VWOA and open a case. Point out the fact that there have been multiple revisions of this part. VW knows they screwed up.

angelgg99

My 2019 GLI Autobahn started leaking coolant around 22k miles . Took it in to the dealer. Waited 2 weeks for the part. They replaced the water pump under warranty. Im at 25k miles now and im leaking again. Its still a really slow leak but I smell coolant when im parked or get out of my car. when I top it off, after about a week it goes to the bottom of the fill line. Going to call them tomorrow and see what they say. Tired of smelling hot coolant.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
My 2019 GLI Autobahn started leaking coolant around 22k miles . Took it in to the dealer. Waited 2 weeks for the part. They replaced the water pump under warranty. Im at 25k miles now and im leaking again. Its still a really slow leak but I smell coolant when im parked or get out of my car. when I top it off, after about a week it goes to the bottom of the fill line. Going to call them tomorrow and see what they say. Tired of smelling hot coolant.

There was a class action lawsuit on this that recently settled. I'd look into that in the case that you get an flack.

You may have a leak somewhere else, or the thermostat housing wasn't seated properly when the assembly was put back together. That's normally where the leak comes from.

I agree with @anotero. You are losing a lot of coolant if your tank needs a weekly refill. I'd look at all of the connecting hoses, turbo, etc. A lot of times, the dealership just assumes it's the water pump because of it being the common failure point. Also, get a second opinion at a different VW dealership if you have any issues.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Is there any way to kill this thread? My car has 36,000 miles on it now, but no leaks; however, I keep getting paranoid every time this thread pops up on the forum. (JK)

LoL...

The service manager told me I'd prob need another one at some point. I wouldn't be worried about it too much as your car should be covered. If you don't have a leak yet, you're prob good at this point.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It'll too bad VW still can't figure out how to build a water pump. I've owned water pumpers since the 80's. They've all had water pump issue. Literally all of them.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
On purpose.

You really think VW would redesign a part like 5 times just to have it continually fail on purpose? They lost in court over it and are now required to offer replacements outside of warranty. Just doesn't seem to be very likely it was on purpose.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Water pump and thermostat housing replaced under warranty 13k miles ago. Coolant level hasn't dropped much if any, but still get a coolant odor outside after driving.

Is this normal?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Water pump and thermostat housing replaced under warranty 13k miles ago. Coolant level hasn't dropped much if any, but still get a coolant odor outside after driving.

Is this normal?
My 19 hasn't lost coolant since new, though coolant was drained and filled for an aux water pump replacement and a radiator replacement. I've never had to add coolant.

Smells like coolant after driving.

It's not a defect, it's a feature VW gives us. You get to feel connected to your car through all your senses, including smell.

amsr

Ready to race!
My thermostat was replaced when the car was about 2 years old. It seems to be losing coolant slowly again. I don't think they ever really solved the issue. The replacements are good for a couple years I guess.