GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermostat housing and water pump fail.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I used to get a loaner but I had them write it into my contract. I only asked for one if the car needed to be kept overnights but they always offered one in case I wanted to go shopping while the car was in for maintenance. Never took them up on their offers. If you buy from a dealer that also sells Audi and has their own fleet of loaners, try it.
With VW dealers In the UK you always get a loan/courtesy car if you want one, usually lower end spec cars but always brand new! or they’ll pick up and drop back your car or give you an onward lift,

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
I just received paperwork to file for a class action suit against VW for water pump failure on most recent GTI and other models. You may be able to recover some $$.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I just received paperwork to file for a class action suit against VW for water pump failure on most recent GTI and other models. You may be able to recover some $$.
Although not all will have, I’d imagine at present most replacements already undertaken have been done so under warranty.

avs

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have a copy of the class action lawsuit letter you can post? Thanks!

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Water pump, t'stat/housing and gaskets total less than $300 online. More at the dealer, presumably.
So that's how much for labor?

Neil

avs

Passed Driver's Ed
Water pump, t'stat/housing and gaskets total less than $300 online. More at the dealer, presumably.

Neil
I got a quote for 5 hours of labor from the dealer. Parts and labors roughly 1100 from dealer.

Laxalot32

Neil
They are at $140/hr labor that’s why I can’t see how it adds up. Figure 3-4 hour job as far as I have seen. Prob less time due to the fact that so many have been repaired over the last 9 years. They should be well versed in the procedure.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They are at $140/hr labor that’s why I can’t see how it adds up. Figure 3-4 hour job as far as I have seen. Prob less time due to the fact that so many have been repaired over the last 9 years. They should be well versed in the procedure.

Doesn't matter how long or short of time the dealer takes to install it they will charge the flat rate book price for the labor. A good tech will always be way faster then the flat rate time. That's why a good tech at a dealer will make over 100K per year.

My ride, 2016 GTi Clubsport, thermostat housing leaking as well at 68000km (around 42000 miles). All our VW’s here in RSA comes with 3 year / 100 000km warranty. Guess what, my warranty expired in end of Aug 2019 and 3 months later the water pump/ thermostat housing is leaking. One option is to purchase a 6/7/8 year maintenance plan from VW (which covers all services and warranty) at a ridiculous price. Obviously not going this route.

Looks like I’m paying for it out of my own pocket. I’m going to the VW Dealer tomorrow to get a full quote on all parts with all part numbers which I will share here. This should be the latest revision and may this POS infamous VW / MK7 problem be gone forever because there should’ve been a recall from VW to fix their shitty design flaw that has been going on for ages.

Thankfully the coolant is leaking minimal / slowly so I’m still able to drive. Although I’m able to drive, I don’t want to leave this...the thermostat housing may finally go boom and leak out all coolant while driving and I might lose an engine *touch wood*

7ADD8E15-FB24-4864-931F-E234C5BE555D.jpeg

I see USP got this solution with an upgraded metal impeller (Part number 06L121111H)

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Ulti...w-Metal-Impeller-For-Gen-3-MK7-06L121111.html
In the same breath they have a replacement housing Part number 06L121111M which supersedes the previous versions ( See picture below)

29D429E5-A39F-4972-9C58-0791BBCF9AC7.jpeg

Last edited:

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
My old '15 Gti had the housing leak start at 79k kms with 2 months left on the warranty. Thankfully it was covered and was replaced without out of pocket cost.

Is there an aftermarket version that's made of non-shit plastic or aluminum? I'd almost want to replace the one on my '18R as preventative maintenance at this point... The oem will fail, it's just a matter of when it will, which is dog shit Imo.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I had my thermostat housing replaced earlier in the year on my 2016 GTi and it has a different part number (revision M) to the original housing (revision J), so is therefore a newer updated part, the housing has some plastic welded seams that are the usual point of the leak, this is apparently what has been revised, the seal (as in the video) leaking is not very common and is caused by oil leaking from above it then degrading the rubber.

Last edited:

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I still don't get why they don't use metal. This would be a non-issue.