GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermostat housing and water pump fail.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I still don't get why they don't use metal. This would be a non-issue.

Probably same reason they use a plastic oil pan. But you're right they should use metal. VW does a lot of stupid things. For instance I have rear cross traffic alert with the audible beep. But my rear view camera doesn't make a sound even if I back into something. They could have used the same beep for the camera.

I had my thermostat housing replaced earlier in the year on my 2016 GTi and it has a different part number (revision M) to the original housing (revision J), so is therefore a newer updated part, the housing has some plastic welded seams that are the usual point of the leak, this is apparently what has been revised, the seal (as in the video) leaking is not very common and is caused by oil leaking from above it then degrading the rubber.
Yep looks like revision M is the latest / solution

Edit: Ok So I just went to our local VW. Latest revised part number for the thermostat housing is 06L 121 111 M (Revision M). Workshop manager said it definitely sorts out the issue once and for all. Apparently more plastic surface area around the rubber gaskets / o-rings which seals it much better.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yep looks like revision M is the latest / solution

Edit: Ok So I just went to our local VW. Latest revised part number for the thermostat housing is 06L 121 111 M (Revision M). Workshop manager said it definitely sorts out the issue once and for all. Apparently more plastic surface area around the rubber gaskets / o-rings which seals it much better.

Do you happen to know when the revised part came out?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Thanks. Mine was replaced about 5 months ago so hopefully I got the revised version since my warranty just ended.
You can see the part number from above with an inspection mirror and a torch (flashlight!?), the number is on the front of the housing pointing directly forwards, mine was replaced around the same time as yours and is the M revision.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can see the part number from above with an inspection mirror and a torch, the number is on the front of the housing pointing directly forwards, mine was replaced around the same time as yours and is the M revision.

Thanks for the answer. But a torch? Is that UK for a light?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I still don't get why they don't use metal. This would be a non-issue.
When VW started to develop the MQB platform they created several teams dedicated to reducing non-functional weight wherever possible. It really was an impressive effort. This is a big part of the reason that the Mk8 Golf was dimensionally larger and had much greater torsional rigidity than the Mk6, yet weighed even less than the earlier iteration. They went as far as drilling holes in the inner seat frames to keep the weight down. The use of plastic, instead of metal, wherever practical, was all part of this war against unnecessary vehicle mass.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
When VW started to develop the MQB platform they created several teams dedicated to reducing non-functional weight wherever possible. It really was an impressive effort. This is a big part of the reason that the Mk8 Golf was dimensionally larger and had much greater torsional rigidity than the Mk6, yet weighed even less than the earlier iteration. They went as far as drilling holes in the inner seat frames to keep the weight down. The use of plastic, instead of metal, wherever practical, was all part of this war against unnecessary vehicle mass.

And to make parts that are cheaper to manufacture. And we see the results of that. The GTI doesn't weigh significantly less than other cars of similar size. Torsional rigidity from plastic parts?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
And to make parts that are cheaper to manufacture. And we see the results of that. The GTI doesn't weigh significantly less than other cars of similar size. Torsional rigidity from plastic parts?
It weighs less than its predecessor which had a bigger issue with thermostat/water pump failures.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
The added torsional rigidity while decreasing weight was indirectly from using plastic parts: seeking weight savings throughout the car--including the replacement of metal with lighter plastics--allowed VW to increase the thickness of the body/frame metal, when needed, to achieve greater torsional rigidity without any net weight penalty. The Mk7 is much stiffer than the Mk6, greatly due to this effort. And though some of this weight savings also translated into cash savings to VW, again, some of those saved Deutschmarks went back into the materials for sections of the car which were beefed up over the Mk6. I'm driving a 2015 R, daily over cobblestone roads, and am still waiting for my first squeak/rattle that wasn't attributed to the Styrofoam rubbing beneath the trunk cover.