GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermostat housing and water pump fail.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
FCP Euro is out of stock with no ETA on resupply FYI.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
VW needs to have the japanese manufacture their waterpumps!!!!!

I avoided the mk6 for this reason and now i find out the mk7 have this same issue...errr

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
VW needs to have the japanese manufacture their waterpumps!!!!!

I avoided the mk6 for this reason and now i find out the mk7 have this same issue...errr

If you're worried about repairs VW is not the best brand to buy into hahaha. Even if your car is perfect the modding rabbit-hole is expensive :D

Mine was covered by warranty and the replacement part supposedly fixes the issue, but time will tell.

rexneffect

Ready to race!
Also if they replace water pump does that include thermostat housing?
Mine looks like this underneath now... :(

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Also if they replace water pump does that include thermostat housing?
Mine looks like this underneath now... :(

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes if it's leaking. It's probably the housing that's leaking anyway.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
They said they only replaced the water pump as 1st point of action :/
They are probably referring to the housing as the water pump! Lots of people tend refer to the whole assembly as the ‘water pump’, the water pumps themselves don’t leak though, I don’t care what anybody says to the contrary.

rexneffect

Ready to race!
They are probably referring to the housing as the water pump! Lots of people tend refer to the whole assembly as the ‘water pump’, the water pumps themselves don’t leak though, I don’t care what anybody says to the contrary.
I know, man, but lead tech broke out the assembly drawing and said the only part number on there they replaced was the pump piece. Hope youre right but just has me worried

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I know, man, but lead tech broke out the assembly drawing and said the only part number on there they replaced was the pump piece. Hope youre right but just has me worried
Of course, it’s not impossible for the actual pump to leak, and I’m sure ‘one or two’ have, but the common and usual problem (and always at the same spot) is the thermostat housing, and as mentioned above the whole assembly (pump, thermostat housing, and thermostat) is regularly referred to as the water pump, which of course causes confusion!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Are the parts still on backorder? Has anyone had a leak so bad they couldn't drive to the dealer? I would overfill the overflow of course, and take extra coolant.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Uh, AUDI.

I used to get a loaner when i owned my MK4 but I had them write it into my contract. I only asked for one if the car needed to be kept overnights but they always offered one in case I wanted to go shopping while the car was in for maintenance. Never took them up on their offers. If you buy from a dealer that also sells Audi and has their own fleet of loaners, try it.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Are the parts still on backorder? Has anyone had a leak so bad they couldn't drive to the dealer? I would overfill the overflow of course, and take extra coolant.
It hasn't been on backorder in forever, at least around me it seems like they're stocking the parts on the shelf