GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermostat housing and water pump fail.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Just keep an eye on the level and if it goes down it's leaking. The level should be the same when you check it after the car is completely cooled down.
Even "closed" systems lose some coolant over time. However, the loss is typically quite slow. The loss of less than a liter over almost 2 years is absolutely acceptable.

When I had my parts replaced under warranty in 2018, it was going from max-min in about 4 or 5 months (basically between oil changes).

Thank you for the reassurance, I'll top it up and then monitor it.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Also note that when temperatures fall the coolant level will drop as well.

I would not worry and just add distilled water or additional coolant. I remember my GTI's coolant dropped right about that min line during cold season and I just kept adding more VW coolant. It wasn't significant enough to consider it a leak.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Just letting you guys know - it's about 1 year later (less than 10 000miles) and my thermostat housing is leaking again....(Part no 06L 121 111M)
This is a real terrible design flaw from Volkswagen!!
That sounds more like an installation error if less than 10k miles or it's the water pump leaking now. My car has been on both extremes of the weather spectrum and it doesn't leak. Been on for 2 years and sitting at 25-30k miles

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I'm in Phoenix. Brutal summers. My car has been through 2 of them so far.

For what it's worth, I had my water pump & thermo housing done at 17k.

Seems to be okay so far.

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
Had mine replaced under warranty with 40k in March 2019.

I’m now at 62k miles and leaking again. Slowly, but the light will come on. I’ve never seen the thermostat move from the middle. I’m going to have it replaced again, unfortunately I’m outside warranty so I’ll need to pay this time.

Dealer back then installed 06L-121-111-K.Shop now is ordering -M. So, hopefully they’ve fixed it 🤷‍♂️

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie

I’m now at 62k miles and leaking again. Slowly, but the light will come on. I’ve never seen the thermostat move from the middle. I’m going to have it replaced again, unfortunately I’m outside warranty so I’ll need to pay this time.

Dealer back then installed 06L-121-111-K.Shop now is ordering -M. So, hopefully they’ve fixed it 🤷‍♂️
Curious what is the going rates for an independent mechanic to do this work? I just did this job myself. But could not remove the pump drive-belt, not that you have to, but because I wanted to. Anyway, left the pump drive-belt on and changed pump and housing and union fitting. Wasn't that simple b/c alot of the work was removing the intake to gain better access. I hope it doesn't leak again.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Really, VW? Still with this noise? My 92 Corrado had the same stupid coolant cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83 GTI, 93 Corrado, same issue. Some things never change.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

The water temperature will always read 194* unless it seriously overheats. Check it out. Once the engine is up to temperature it will show 194.