GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermostat housing and water pump fail.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Perhaps I'm just dense, but who is "Issam," and what are "iabed" and "rms?'

Issam Abed is the engineer and owner of IAbed industries who make the iabed Rear Main Seal (RMS). It's a billet replacement for the stock rms. Won't go into whether it's beneficial to replace as there's another thread for that, but that's pretty much it. I believe he also makes a replacement baffled oil pan.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-iabed-i...inum-rear-main-seal-upgrade/462-103-171f~iab/

Edit: I guess my page hadn't refreshed and didn't see the other responses.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Even with you doing the wrenching why would you want to have to spend your time to do it again if the water pump leaks?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Because I feel like it?
I asked a pretty straightforward technical question. Let's not turn this into a philosphical discussion.

I don't see why you would change the water pump if it's not leaking. There's no guarantee a new water pump wouldn't leak. The water pumps themselves aren't a high failure rate item it's the thermostat housing that's the problem. The dealer replaced my thermostat housing at 30K miles and didn't change the pump. I'm at 104K now with the not leaking OEM water pump.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I don't see why you would change the water pump if it's not leaking. There's no guarantee a new water pump wouldn't leak. The water pumps themselves aren't a high failure rate item it's the thermostat housing that's the problem. The dealer replaced my thermostat housing at 30K miles and didn't change the pump. I'm at 104K now with the not leaking OEM water pump.

The reason i ask is: i can buy either just the thermostat and transfer my existing pump, or i can buy a thermostat/pump combo. The former is cheaper.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The reason i ask is: i can buy either just the thermostat and transfer my existing pump, or i can buy a thermostat/pump combo. The former is cheaper.

Entirely up to you. Your old pump could ultimately start leaking or if you replace the pump the new one could start leaking. It's a crappy conundrum. How is your luck?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
For me, the pump was $110, thermostat housing was covered by warranty. I now have a 1 year warranty on the pump for infant mortality and peace of mind that I have the latest revision water pump with 30k fewer miles on it. Cheap insurance imo.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just got confirmation that Iabed is working on a replacement thermostat housing. Didn't get any details yet, but he said it's at least 6 weeks away.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Is there an acceptable amount of coolant loss over time?

I had my leaking water pump at 50,000km in January 2018. At the end of the service my coolant was filled to the max line.

Fast forward to today October 2020 and my coolant level is at just above the minimum line.. Is this acceptable, or is the replacement leaking? I looked around and didn't see any evidence of leaking on the floors, but I haven't looked on a lift yet. Should I just fill it up and monitor it, or should I be making an appointment at my dealer?

Appreciate any advice.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is there an acceptable amount of coolant loss over time?

I had my leaking water pump at 50,000km in January 2018. At the end of the service my coolant was filled to the max line.

Fast forward to today October 2020 and my coolant level is at just above the minimum line.. Is this acceptable, or is the replacement leaking? I looked around and didn't see any evidence of leaking on the floors, but I haven't looked on a lift yet. Should I just fill it up and monitor it, or should I be making an appointment at my dealer?

Appreciate any advice.

Just keep an eye on the level and if it goes down it's leaking. The level should be the same when you check it after the car is completely cooled down.