GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate Ignition Coil Upgrade is Here! (APR Red Ignition Coils!)

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
where is this happening?

I just finished. Did it at my friends garage. Swapped the plugs on his Allroad and did my oil, plugs, coils, cabin filter. No home Depot runs. My car has 30k now so this was my 30k service.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
and difference? Do you feel the APR powa?

They are red, I won already!

I can't really say because I changed the plugs, coils and oil. Seems smoother at idle. I don't anticipate any issues.

Should you do it? If you have 150 burning a hole in your wallet, worth a try? I think we are smart enough to have proper expectations.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
APR is doing themselves a disservice by not explaining the benefits of a stronger coil w/r/t allowing for a larger plug gap at higher boost levels, or at least reduce fouling. Lots of selling points besides HP.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
APR is doing themselves a disservice by not explaining the benefits of a stronger coil w/r/t allowing for a larger plug gap at higher boost levels, or at least reduce fouling. Lots of selling points besides HP.

Look at all the negativity these are getting just because they are saying these are red and tested to be 10% more power output. That' minimal claim is already making people mad. These are the same people that have a preference in toothpaste and don't get mad about there being 50 different toothpastes. I think APR is doing it right by only saying they are red, and they tested it to be 10% more power. I'm sure they sold plenty and they didn't lie to anyone or mislead anyone.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Look at all the negativity these are getting just because they are saying these are red and tested to be 10% more power output. That' minimal claim is already making people mad. These are the same people that have a preference in toothpaste and don't get mad about there being 50 different toothpastes. I think APR is doing it right by only saying they are red, and they tested it to be 10% more power. I'm sure they sold plenty and they didn't lie to anyone or mislead anyone.

APR doesn't claim any HP increase. The 10% is 10% more "spark" energy resulting in fewer misfires and less need for tighter spark plug gapping. Arin specifically said they didn't dyno them. When I need new coils I'll get them since they cost about the same as OEM. But certainly not because they are red. I like the blue ones better. ?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
APR doesn't claim any HP increase. The 10% is 10% more "spark" energy resulting in fewer misfires and less need for tighter spark plug gapping. Arin specifically said they didn't dyno them. When I need new coils I'll get them since they cost about the same as OEM. But certainly not because they are red. I like the blue ones better. ?
Exactly, though I guess it's understandable APR doesn't want to get involved in specific gap recommendations. These are for people who know what they're doing... or for people who like red stuff ;)

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

I wouldn't be mad if they were blue either. I really think either would sell well. Red is kind of APR's color though.

Same tune, same gas, today my car feels smoother and pulled better when I was lugging it a little. I definitely felt less protest from the engine when light throttling it in a higher gear and low rpm. My stock coils had 30k, my previous NGK RS7 Plugs had 15k on them. The coils, plug type, and plug gap all changed so I can't pinpoint which it is, but I can tell you everything is working great together. No WOT pulls today. My car spent the day shuttling friends around. =)

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
The only thing that's wrong with RED is that APR makes it a selling emphasis like the color means shit.

It probably does because we sold a couple thousand of them in less than a week. ?‍♂️

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It probably does because we sold a couple thousand of them in less than a week. ?‍♂️

Congratulations and like I said when I need new coils I'll get yours but once again not because they're red. Can't see them anyway.