GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate Ignition Coil Upgrade is Here! (APR Red Ignition Coils!)

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I might be wrong, but I don't think they ever actually claim that these add any power. The only claim I see is that they increase energy output. Thus, there isn't any reason to dyno something when no claims of adding horsepower are being made. Much like the turbo inlet pipe. They don't provide a dyno for that either...

I understand your statement, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I could have been more clear. I consider engine "upgrades" as performance enhancing not appearance enhancing. The only reason I asked about dyno info is that APR clearly states this is "not just an aesthetic" upgrade. Other than cosmetics, no matter what the energy output is, it doesn't make a difference to the user if it does not improve performance i.e. reliability and/or power. That was my major point and the reason for my inquiry. It's a legit question.

I have zero issue if people buy these because they look cool. The price isn't all that high and if you need to replace the OEM's why not? APR says they are a performance not only aesthetic upgrade. All I was doing was asking them where is my performance increased?

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I'm not sure you do understand because you keep calling them "engine upgrades". You're the only one calling these "engine upgrades". These are ignition coil packs. They clearly state that they only provide 10% more juice, and they are red in color. The end.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Nobody's pissed off at Popeye's for coming out with their own chicken sandwich. Well, maybe Chick-fil-A is.

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Considering apr says that their calipers are made by powerbrakes right on the goapr.com site, what’s your point?

I'm not sure I follow this either. Our website clearly says who our partner is, and we're very proud of that. Making brakes is no joke. You can't just buy some OEM parts for another car, or a standard caliper from China and call it a day. If you want a true, balanced, and well thought out upgrade, you better have a damn good track record in the braking industry for decades. That's why we partnered with a company that was able to manufacture an amazing solution for us.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
The only reason I asked about dyno info is that APR clearly states this is "not just an aesthetic" upgrade.

I'm not sure I follow this one too. We're offering a product that's a replacement, and upgrade, to the factory component. Would you not consider a high performance 1 step colder spark plug an upgrade? You're probably not going to see a difference on the dyno. How bout t bolt clamps instead of worm gear clamps. Those won't show a dyno difference (unless there was a problem), but offer more clamping force. There are many "upgrades" done for various reasons that don't directly show up on a dyno sheet. At any rate, sure, they aren't for everyone, at least, not right this second. I'd personally spend my money on our ECU, TCU, intake, intercooler, or exhaust first.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure you do understand because you keep calling them "engine upgrades". You're the only one calling these "engine upgrades". These are ignition coil packs. They clearly state that they only provide 10% more juice, and they are red in color. The end.

This is the statement from APR: "True upgrade, not just aesthetic " , and that is the only thing I have issue with. When talking about ignition parts I think that statement implies and was intended to imply (not promise) a performance or reliability upgrade. What other upgrade is there for an engine part other than performance, reliability or aesthetic? Eliminate the two and you are left with aesthetic only. If others interpret that differently that's totally fine. Changing/"improving" specs on parts that have no real world influence on anything is "magic dust" marketing.

Do they look great? I think so. The way I read it, it's purely an aesthetic upgrade. That's a good enough reason for many people to want these. If others think upgrading a part that has no net effect on anything to the consumer other than looks, is a "true upgrade, not just aesthetic", then we see things differently, which is fine.