GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The turbo issue!

Yamdan1

Not true. It depends what failed in the turbo. I have not ready many cases of the revision turbos failing, some do fail but those are horribly treated turbos.

No of cause not all of them but what Ive been told is that since the turboshaft breaks all of that wheels just goes strait in to the engine and that is = new engine.

But as I said Im just trying to find out the truth since I really do want to get my car tuned :). Just dont want to sit with a engine in parts and no warranty :)

Yamdan1

Are you looking at the GTI and not the R? The failure rates on the IS38 turbo is less than that of the IS20.

Where are you looking that you found the numerous threads? Reason I ask is this:

When someone has a turbo that fails, they will literally chime in to pretty much any thread that has to do with Turbo Failure and such and post their 2 cents. This is not necessarily a bad thing... but it can make it seem like the issue is bigger/more common than it actually is.

If you read through some of the turbo failure threads on this forum (if you haven't already), you'll see the same usernames pop up repeatedly in each of the threads.

Again, it's not a bad thing that people are posting about their experience with turbo failure, but every time someone chimes in and says that they had a turbo fail... you have to look at the username too.

Yeah thats true but what made me nervous was the info I got from the Swedish tuner. But as I said Im just trying to find out the facts.
:)

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
No of cause not all of them but what Ive been told is that since the turboshaft breaks all of that wheels just goes strait in to the engine and that is = new engine.

But as I said Im just trying to find out the truth since I really do want to get my car tuned :). Just dont want to sit with a engine in parts and no warranty :)

Pay to play. Chances of it happening are pretty slim, but it can happen.

Yamdan1

Pay to play. Chances of it happening are pretty slim, but it can happen.

Of cause but if there is a faulty turbo then I pay for a mistake VW done, and thats not ok.

But from all these hours Ive checked web pages today it seems like my 2016 R should be ok to tune, already has 25000km on it so Ill give it a go ?

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Hey guys.

Just bought a 2016 R and was thinking of at least do the stage 1 tune on it.
BUT after talking to a very good VW tuner in Sweden I got really scared.
http://www.stertman.se/

They have actually stoped tuning these car since its just a matter of time before the turbo blows. According to them is the turboshaft that is to small/weak and will break. They have tuned 100cars but already 10 has blowned the turbo and even a few completely stock cars thats they know of.

So he really recomended me to not do ANYTHING with this car due to this.

And ALL of the different turbo versions on the Mk7 R are bad!

Is there anyway to find out how big issue this really is?

He (the tuner) earn money selling tunes so was quite surpriced of his answer and if he really dont recomend me getting a tune I got scared!!

So what to do? Is the only way just keeping it stock and just use the warrant in case this happens or what?

My IS38 was out of balance fresh out of the box from VW. I had it balanced prior to install. I have found from others who work with these turbos that many are out of balance. I feel a lack of balance and pushing maximum boost pressure is what kills these. Some say the DV does not release pressure fast enough.

joe.arthur.503

Who would have thought that tuning a car could mess with factory reliability?

Oh everyone.

If you're scared mate, leave it stock. If this isn't your first rodeo, have a spare turbo waiting in the wings and kick it in the guts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamdan1

Who would have thought that tuning a car could mess with factory reliability?

Oh everyone.

If you're scared mate, leave it stock. If this isn't your first rodeo, have a spare turbo waiting in the wings and kick it in the guts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are missing the point mate.
These turbos blow up in stock tune!

Getting more and more info about this and it seems like we are playing a russian roulett with our cars.

So what I dont like is that I might have a car that will go boooom sooner or later
even in stock tune :-(.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
You are missing the point mate.
These turbos blow up in stock tune!

Getting more and more info about this and it seems like we are playing a russian roulett with our cars.

So what I dont like is that I might have a car that will go boooom sooner or later
even in stock tune :-(.

Not sure where you are getting your information, but I have yet to see people blow a turbo on stock tune. Those early 2015 turbos that did blow have been revised and they're fine. :confused:

Yamdan1

Not sure where you are getting your information, but I have yet to see people blow a turbo on stock tune. Those early 2015 turbos that did blow have been revised and they're fine. :confused:

Trust me Im not trying to stir things up, I just want to know the truth about this.
I hope I have some more info tomorrow from a VW contact I have.

But no the turbos isnt fine even in the 2017 cars. Have talked with a few guys that has had these go bad as well. So no the 2015- isnt good either, better but not ok from what Ive found so far.

If my info is correct there are right now 8 cars broken down with this issue in our capital in Sweden. Both stock and tuned.

And as I said I want the truth and Ill will find out if this is such big issue that it seems.

So dont kill the messenger :).

Yamdan1

This is one guy with the 2016 722H turbo

I had an H-revision turbo on my 2016 US-market Golf R blow at ~7,000 miles, replaced under warranty by a local dealer. They said they hadn't seen any others go yet and that mine was their first R turbo replacement, but that when they called VW (who made them send a bunch of GFF stuff and logs to check for a tune) they had a procedure in place and it certainly didn't come as a surprise to them. Oil was factory fill until 5k, then changed for Motul Specific. Conditions were: high altitude in Colorado (maybe a contributor? after all altitude means shaft speed is higher to achieve the same airflow...), summertime, and hard driving (why buy the car not to have fun with it?!). I was surprised to see the bearing go as the car had never been exposed to harsh oil conditions like excessive cold, heat, or humidity.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Trust me Im not trying to stir things up, I just want to know the truth about this.
I hope I have some more info tomorrow from a VW contact I have.

But no the turbos isnt fine even in the 2017 cars. Have talked with a few guys that has had these go bad as well. So no the 2015- isnt good either, better but not ok from what Ive found so far.

If my info is correct there are right now 8 cars broken down with this issue in our capital in Sweden. Both stock and tuned.

And as I said I want the truth and Ill will find out if this is such big issue that it seems.

So dont kill the messenger :).

Not sure what is going on over there in Sweden, but in the US, the 2015 models had a bad batch of turbos which were then revised. Those with the bad batch blew them stock and tuned. However, with the revised turbos, there have not been any cases of failure from what I have seen. VW produces millions of GTI's and R's, if they all had bad turbo's, VW would be screwed.

Yamdan1

Not sure what is going on over there in Sweden, but in the US, the 2015 models had a bad batch of turbos which were then revised. Those with the bad batch blew them stock and tuned. However, with the revised turbos, there have not been any cases of failure from what I have seen. VW produces millions of GTI's and R's, if they all had bad turbo's, VW would be screwed.

I really really hope thats the case! But already found failed newer turbos as you can see above one exampel of. :-(.

For VW this is a small issue compared to the diesegate!

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I really really hope thats the case! But already found failed newer turbos as you can see above one exampel of. :-(.

For VW this is a small issue compared to the diesegate!

Small issue yes, but not an issue they need. One case of a revision failing does not mean much honestly. There are many factors that contribute to the failures such as making sure the oil is up to temp, not shutting down the car after a hard run without a cool down. Even tho the OP said he took care of it, everyone has a different understanding of "taking care of it".

It seems that you're very worried about it, and if you're that worried about it, leave the car stock and enjoy it. No reason to worry about it and then believe word of mouth sayings about longevity. Most of the time, even those who are tuned, don't really push their cars unless they are at the track. Most of these cars are daily drivers, so you are hitting traffic and normal road conditions. If you plan to go WOT all the time, then you may want to consider building a track car.

Yamdan1

Small issue yes, but not an issue they need. One case of a revision failing does not mean much honestly. There are many factors that contribute to the failures such as making sure the oil is up to temp, not shutting down the car after a hard run without a cool down. Even tho the OP said he took care of it, everyone has a different understanding of "taking care of it".

It seems that you're very worried about it, and if you're that worried about it, leave the car stock and enjoy it. No reason to worry about it and then believe word of mouth sayings about longevity. Most of the time, even those who are tuned, don't really push their cars unless they are at the track. Most of these cars are daily drivers, so you are hitting traffic and normal road conditions. If you plan to go WOT all the time, then you may want to consider building a track car.

You are missing the point.
I just want to know if there still is a real problem even with the never turbos.
I can keep the car stock even if I dont like it.
And as you can see there has been 2016- cars in the US as well that has a problem.
Then a few cars going bad isnt a big problem so we will see...

It must be better for all of us knowing the truth than dipping the head in the sand and pretending all is fine. Or?

And I so do hope that you are correct and Im wrong. We will see...