GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The turbo issue!

wlfpck

Ready to race!
I'm curious to this "turbo" being at the limit. More information on this would also help. What exactly is the compressor curve you speak of? Like a hp/tq curve on a dyno?

Not sure why you have "turbo" in quotations.

Anyways...

I NEVER said the turbo was at the limit. I quoted the Yamdan who said that his/her friend at VW said it was. See below.

Ok I have got info from my contact at VW and they admit that this turbo is working on the limit BUT no one can confirm or have ssen all of these breakdowns that the Swedish tuner is talking about.)

The only way to tell is to look at a compressor curve. This is similar to a pump curve of a centrifugal pump that engineers look at.

For example...

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18432

This is from a MK6 GTI that uses the K03. As far as I know, no one has posted anything about a compressor curve for the is20 or the is38.

r12rex

Go Kart Newbie
There you go Yamdam!! Glad you got your answer and are able to make a decision to mod your car the way you want to! :D This thread has useful info in it so no one here is taking offense to your thread! We're all here to help each other out anyway! Happy motoring!!

Kind Regards,
Ryan

Mk7R Estate

Ready to race!
r12rex;394845 This thread has useful info in it so no one here is taking offense to your thread! We're all here to help each other out anyway! Happy motoring!! Kind Regards said:
Not in this forum. But in another one (as called a serious one) he got quite soon flamed by some junior trolls. Not junior by looking at their number of posts though, but anyway.

slider09

Passed Driver's Ed
In the U.K there have been failures from all revisions of turbos - inc a car registered middle / late of last year.

Stock car, not tuned AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk7R Estate

Ready to race!
In the U.K there have been failures from all revisions of turbos - inc a car registered middle / late of last year.

Stock car, not tuned AFAIK.

More details please. There are failures of turbos out there. Not only IHIs. Thinking thats impossible is just silly...

jrm

Passed Driver's Ed
I have run against many Stertman cars at events in Sweden and something with their software must be wrong their cars perform very poorly, sad for the costumers.

SnowyLCR

Ready to race!
I have run against many Stertman cars at events in Sweden and something with their software must be wrong their cars perform very poorly, sad for the costumers.
But when you take that argument among the crowd the reply usually are that stertman doesn't aim for the highest peak hp but rather for reliability... and thats the reason stertman cars loses all the races...

Given the informationen in this thread / topic one could argue that it most probably due to less developed programs and a lack of know how. Which actually are not that surprising. They've one developer but make programs for all vag and bmw engines. Compared to ex Eurodyne who currently are just making tunes for the mqb petrolengine range.

Last edited:

Z10001

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there any way to prevent turbo/engine failure on stock or stage 1 on those early 14 models? Some part replacement, repair or new turbo is needed?

Is there any specific mileage where problem can occur? What about used cars with 40-50k miles on them?

slider09

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there any way to prevent turbo/engine failure on stock or stage 1 on those early 14 models? Some part replacement, repair or new turbo is needed?

Is there any specific mileage where problem can occur? What about used cars with 40-50k miles on them?

General consensus is the failures are caused by poorly balanced turbos. Whether this is the actual cause no one knows.

You can have a turbo balanced for around £150.

Z10001

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow it would be great if that only would solve the problem. What about engine, in which cases blown turbo can cause more damage and engine failure?

I've seen some used engines on ebay for around ~4k euro/$, is that realistic? I guess that new one ordered directly from vw dealer is twice as much.

I was thinking about used R with <40k miles on it, for occasional track days with stage 1, but it seems that risk is pretty high. And it's not VW only, these little 2 liter engines are failing in all brands :S

Even with new, track days will void warranty even with stock car.

Sorry for bad English

edit: One more question, what about engine block, pistons, connecting rods? Are they capable of handling stage 1 power and only turbo is weak link, or they need upgrade too? And what about DSG at that torque levels?

Last edited:

Rsleyum

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys.

Just bought a 2016 R and was thinking of at least do the stage 1 tune on it.

BUT after talking to a very good VW tuner in Sweden I got really scared.

http://www.stertman.se/

They have actually stoped tuning these car since its just a matter of time before the turbo blows. According to them is the turboshaft that is to small/weak and will break. They have tuned 100cars but already 10 has blowned the turbo and even a few completely stock cars thats they know of.

So he really recomended me to not do ANYTHING with this car due to this.

And ALL of the different turbo versions on the Mk7 R are bad!

Is there anyway to find out how big issue this really is?

He (the tuner) earn money selling tunes so was quite surpriced of his answer and if he really dont recomend me getting a tune I got scared!!

So what to do? Is the only way just keeping it stock and just use the warrant in case this happens or what?

I got 2016 model as well , mapped it to stage 2+ at 2500km and now I'm almost 13,000 km on the clock with zero issues.

2016 models has pretty much the latest turbo on the market aside for MK7.5 version.

I say go for it if you are not worried about the warranty. The problem is once you start tuning you will never stop, cash goes in it seem but it never comes out :)

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Seems pretty simple to me, if they don't/can't tune without failures, and according to other posters, have weak performing tunes anyway, go somewhere else. There are plenty of people running tunes from other tuners with plenty of miles on their cars. There are lots of options out there. Just remember to be ready to "pay to play" and if you're not then don't mod.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Seems pretty simple to me, if they don't/can't tune without failures, and according to other posters, have weak performing tunes anyway, go somewhere else. There are plenty of people running tunes from other tuners with plenty of miles on their cars. There are lots of options out there. Just remember to be ready to "pay to play" and if you're not then don't mod.

The whole swedish thing is overblown. There was a thread over on VWvortex that addressed this. They found virtually a very SMALL sample of Early IS38's that blew.

Which lead the community over there to believe they are blowing smoke and just dont know how to properly dial in a tune that wont overspin the turbo.