GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Spys in Your Car

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
And people call me a philistine for not owning a smart phone the size of a laptop (almost), putting my entire life (and that of others) on it, linking it to each and every website, buying as much stuff online that I can and then gleefully downloading each and every app I can find. Er, no.....

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
First gen onstar was easy to disable. I disabled it as quick as I could. I wonder if the vw carnet stuff can be turned off somehow

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
First gen onstar was easy to disable. I disabled it as quick as I could. I wonder if the vw carnet stuff can be turned off somehow
If you aren't paying for Carnet is it still active? When I had a Veloster Turbo it came with a free one year plan and the first time I got a CEL the Hyundai dealer emailed me instantly to schedule an appointment. I had the dealer cancel the free year.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
If you aren't paying for Carnet is it still active? When I had a Veloster Turbo it came with a free one year plan and the first time I got a CEL the Hyundai dealer emailed me instantly to schedule an appointment. I had the dealer cancel the free year.
I’ve no idea but that’s a good question

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I called CarNet once years ago and inquired about the SOS button. I asked the CSR, if I feel sick and pull into a parking lot and press the button but pass out and couldn't answer when they call back, what would they do? I was told they log it as a crank call and move on. I think they said if the GPS shows I was in the middle of a street they would send the police. So it seems if I stay put and get hit by a truck I'll receive help. For this privilege I only need to pay $200 per year, at least then. No thanks.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Absolutely, they want the car data. You're only paying them to share it with you and benefit from it.
The question was if you cancel Carnet does VW still monitor it? I wouldn't think they would because VW would then be paying for the internet connection. Hyundai doesn't monitor theirs if you aren't paying.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you use any technology, you're trackable.

Come to the scandemic thread if you want an example.

Stop worrying about it, nothing you can do except live in a cabin in the woods.