GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Unofficial E85 Ethanol Thread

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

1hp

Back to the thread, wondering what has happened in this field since one year ago.

For myself and others, what are the current options to go E85 (and E85 flex) with remote tune / e-tune? Specifically for those based in europe (Factory MPI or GPF cars) but a runthrough including USDM wouldn't hurt either, right?

Thanks a million.

Last edited:

barische

Go Kart Champion
Question for you all. Maybe should start a separate thread, but figured I'd start here.

I was a little distracted with let's just say a stunning view while filling up today and forgot to stop at 2.5 gallons of e85. Accidentally put in 5 gallons. According to my calculations, that's about 52% ethanol content.

I am 1.8, stock pumps with APR IS38 tune. Anything I should worry about, or just don't give it full throttle?

How can I measure using Torque if fueling is insufficient or running lean?

do tell about this view.. how juicy was it?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
do tell about this view.. how juicy was it?

It was a taco truck with amazing Al Pastor tacos. 😂😂. What can I say, got a one track mind.

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
Every time I see this thread bumped I get excited that Cobb Flex Fuel may be ready. Anyone heard any rumors on when that will go live?

I've heard "a few months out" for the better part of 2 years.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I've heard "a few months out" for the better part of 2 years.
That’s even news to me... I was getting direct responses from Cobb that up till maybe 2-3 months ago they were not even investigating flex fueling for the mqb platform. Wasn’t till even after they released mpi activation for the 2019s that I saw someone from eqt posting that they have been working with Cobb for the flex fueling.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Back to the thread, wondering what has happened in this field since one year ago.

For myself and others, what are the current options to go E85 (and E85 flex) with remote tune / e-tune? Specifically for those based in europe (Factory MPI or GPF cars) but a runthrough including USDM wouldn't hurt either, right?

Thanks a million.
Where are you from? Besides the dozen or so dynotuners that can enable MPI an some even flex in Europe Ecutek, Maestro and soon Cobb can do MPI E-tunes.

Cobb seems to be beta testing MPI for world market cars now.

Koenna

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17' Alltrack SEL
I read through most of the posts in this forum and have a good unterstanding on benfits, limits etc. One question for my specifc setup:
Alltrack with IS20 and stock fueling (Should be Golf R LFPP and 1.8 Injectors + HFPP? )
UM tuned with 91 and 22PSI max boost...had a 89-93 fuel mix at the time and played it safe (Switch soon to 93octane and 23-24PSI)
93 Octane fuel available everywhere

A mild E20 - 25 blend shouldn't cause any issues fueling capacity wise? I'm not looking for crazy gains nor an investment for flex fuel kit. Have a E85 station close by and thought it won't hurt + prevents kock / lowers temperatures in hot conditions. I'm just worried about reaching the limits of the stock fuel system.

Thanks

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I read through most of the posts in this forum and have a good unterstanding on benfits, limits etc. One question for my specifc setup:
Alltrack with IS20 and stock fueling (Should be Golf R LFPP and 1.8 Injectors + HFPP? )
UM tuned with 91 and 22PSI max boost...had a 89-93 fuel mix at the time and played it safe (Switch soon to 93octane and 23-24PSI)
93 Octane fuel available everywhere

A mild E20 - 25 blend shouldn't cause any issues fueling capacity wise? I'm not looking for crazy gains nor an investment for flex fuel kit. Have a E85 station close by and thought it won't hurt + prevents kock / lowers temperatures in hot conditions. I'm just worried about reaching the limits of the stock fuel system.

Thanks

You'll be fine.

Peylix

Passed Driver's Ed
MiamiBourne my current setup.

Or you could get an aero force gauge, it can do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gotta ask, how did you get this on the MFD?

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
ECUtek is getting ready to drop map switching, on the fly. Not quite flex fuel, but a pump map, E50 map, and E85 map would all be switchable. Valet mode is another map, so technically 4+1.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Looks like he is not here anymore but IIRC he was UM tuned and they connect a flex fuel sensor to the ECU, that can be read on OBD2 or canbus devices.
I actually asked him early last year, here's his response:

"Hey man, car is running UM software which integrates the E85 into the ECU. From that a guy in Sweden made a module that plugs into the car and hijacks the MFD to display it and a bunch of other stuff."

I think it's this thing:
https://www.autopolar.net/product/polar-fis-mqb/

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I have E sensor wired into the harness and can check E content with SAE PID 52. Can check it with any generic OBD dongle and phone app etc. Not quite as cool as that, but also way cheaper, and no less hassle of using a fuel-it module/app etc.