GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Unofficial E85 Ethanol Thread

Mk7VW

Banned
Do you guys think APR E85 tune will be straight E85 or some mixture of premium will be required?

JMoody

Ready to race!
I'm very interested in running e85 in the GTI. I came from a '13 FRS that I ran on e85 full time for a year and when I came over to the GTI I was very surprised there was no e85 support. There were gains to be made with E85 on an NA FRS, im sure the benefits for the turbo GTI will far surpass that...

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Any tech data/threads people can point to max power on stock high pressure fuel pump/injectors? Injection window gets to be a problem on DI. Anyone have logs of injector duty?

I also own a 2008 Cobalt SS Turbo (bosch direct injection). Even with the itty-bitty stock K04 I made 340/410 ft. lbs on E85. It's fun stuff, but I don't have to tell you folks that :)

Last edited:

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I'm very interested in running e85 in the GTI. I came from a '13 FRS that I ran on e85 full time for a year and when I came over to the GTI I was very surprised there was no e85 support. There were gains to be made with E85 on an NA FRS, im sure the benefits for the turbo GTI will far surpass that...

Yep. It's really weird that E85 just hasn't caught on in the TSI/FSI tuning world. I've seen gains of over 50WHP on BT evo's and there's great gains on lots of other cars.

Do you guys think APR E85 tune will be straight E85 or some mixture of premium will be required?

APR is making a flex-fuel kit so basically you can run full E85 or no E85. Won't matter since the ECU knows how much ethanol you have, and it will adapt for it.

Any tech data/threads people can point to max power on stock high pressure fuel pump/injectors? Injection window gets to be a problem on DI. Anyone have logs of injector duty?

I also own a 2008 Cobalt SS Turbo (bosch direct injection). Even with the itty-bitty stock K04 I made 340/410 ft. lbs on E85. It's fun stuff, but I don't have to tell you folks that :)

LNF engines are crazy. You've got a solid garage there man. APR is making their Stage 3 kit and when they posted a picture of it, it had no fueling parts at all. They are making 500HP+ so it's at least good for that.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Wow, that's great news! Well, for the R guys anyway. After a certain point it becomes kinda moot on a FWD car :)

When people ask why I own that Cobalt, I just say it's a great engine/suspension/braking package ... wrapped by a really piss poor car :)

LNF engines are crazy. You've got a solid garage there man. APR is making their Stage 3 kit and when they posted a picture of it, it had no fueling parts at all. They are making 500HP+ so it's at least good for that.

ModfydGTI

Ready to race!
[emoji7] E85, I can't wait. Bad thing is that E85 isn't everywhere in Southern California like how everyone else is describing in their states.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Only thing I keep an eye on, at least here in Iowa, is the E content changes quite a bit throughout the year. I see everything from E70ish -> E85.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I'm a bit confused how APR is going to get a flex fuel sensor to work with the ECU, maybe there are entries for one already for the ROW class fuels?

Hell maybe it already exists.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
I'm a bit confused how APR is going to get a flex fuel sensor to work with the ECU, maybe there are entries for one already for the ROW class fuels?

Hell maybe it already exists.

Brazil runs cars on much higher ethanol blends than we do in NAR, so it may be coded already.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
What he said. ^^^

Most auto manufacturers already have the tables/logic in the code to handle ethanol. It's just a matter of if the sensing equipment (I have seen some that rely on wideband only though) is installed on the car if the boolean is TRUE or FALSE on that option. They then have correction tables to increase or decrease fueling depending on E content.

VWGTI

Ready to race!
So would running a mix of e85 and 91 (2 gallons e85) be safe even though you're running a 91 map?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
So would running a mix of e85 and 91 (2 gallons e85) be safe even though you're running a 91 map?

Most people are doing this already, thats an ~E20 mix to clean up timing.

That is assuming you have 2 gallons E85 and 11.5 Gallons 91, I believe our tanks are ~13.5 gallons.

Edit: 13.2 Gallons, but the varying ethanol content will make it still near E20.

Mk7VW

Banned
I'm debating on Jb1 + 2 gallons of E85 and topping the rest off with 91 octane. Does George look into your log files and make adjustments?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I'm debating on Jb1 + 2 gallons of E85 and topping the rest off with 91 octane. Does George look into your log files and make adjustments?

You can send logs to George and he will tell you if they look ok or not, I was too busy fighting other issues last summer to do any E85 testing with the JB1.