GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
You may want to read that warranty paperwork very carefully and strongly consider getting a refund. VW sells an "almost backed by VW" warranty, but this isn't it.

First Extended has absolutely awful reviews. From the reviews, it sounds like you're better off flushing your money down the toilet (Best & Worst) First Extended Service Corporation Reviews - ConsumerAffairs | Page 2

When will people learn that extended warranties that aren't backed by the manufacturer (like Honda/Acura Care, MOPAR for FCA etc) are worse than a waste of money as they first take your money and then make you mad.

You have 30 days to cancel. Do it now.

Don't generalize. There are some that are worth it. My 3rd party extended warranty on my CX9 had zero deductible, cost me 1750 and they paid out over 4k in work, no questions asked. It's anecdotal, but then I'm not saying ALL 3rd pay warranties are great or terrible.

cb1111

Don't generalize. There are some that are worth it. My 3rd party extended warranty on my CX9 had zero deductible, cost me 1750 and they paid out over 4k in work, no questions asked. It's anecdotal, but then I'm not saying ALL 3rd pay warranties are great or terrible.
I've not run into one that is sold by a dealer that is any good.

Here, the OP got suckered into a warranty that has an especially lousy reputation.

spaceworm

Passed Driver's Ed
You may want to read that warranty paperwork very carefully and strongly consider getting a refund. VW sells an "almost backed by VW" warranty, but this isn't it.

First Extended has absolutely awful reviews. From the reviews, it sounds like you're better off flushing your money down the toilet (Best & Worst) First Extended Service Corporation Reviews - ConsumerAffairs | Page 2

When will people learn that extended warranties that aren't backed by the manufacturer (like Honda/Acura Care, MOPAR for FCA etc) are worse than a waste of money as they first take your money and then make you mad.

You have 30 days to cancel. Do it now.
If you decide to cancel, I would recommend to check out Ray and Zach at yourautoadvocate online for a quote with their warranty tool. They have lots of market info on their YouTube channel too and seem very transparent on warranty coverages even upfront on how much they are making per policy.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
If you decide to cancel, I would recommend to check out Ray and Zach at yourautoadvocate online for a quote with their warranty tool. They have lots of market info on their YouTube channel too and seem very transparent on warranty coverages even upfront on how much they are making per policy.
Yeah, they’ve got a ton of good information on their YouTube channel. I used a lot of it when I bought my car.

The website is ok, but they suggested I offer around $33,500 for my SE due to market conditions and lack of incentives at the time. I got it for around $3,000 less than that.

I didn’t research their extended warranties, so I can’t really speak to that.

spaceworm

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, they’ve got a ton of good information on their YouTube channel. I used a lot of it when I bought my car.

The website is ok, but they suggested I offer around $33,500 for my SE due to market conditions and lack of incentives at the time. I got it for around $3,000 less than that.

I didn’t research their extended warranties, so I can’t really speak to that.
they do acknowledge their market reports are not super accurate but serve as a baseline (it’s based on days in lot) but you are right a good negotiator or end of month situation can create better deals. I did subscribe to support their starting business, and their black book reports are handy. Soon they will have access to incentive data which now you have to dig from Edmunds/leasehackr/autobytel. Their warranty prices are way better than what is normally offered at dealers, at least you have some data to leverage at the F&I office.

Last edited:

cdokmeci

Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
I would like to ask Forum members their opinion about a purchase I am about to make.

Here are the specifics:
- 2019 GTI S MT, no options vehicle
- 13k miles, sale price $23.998 - non negotiable - CarMax vehicle.
- I am getting it transferred $484
- Price excludes all the fees (TTL)
- Prior use is stated as "Fleet" otherwise no issues per the AutoCheck report

Looking at the new car values I have seen posted here, I feel I am about to make a mistake.

Any advice gentleman? Ladies? I am all ears

Thank you
"GTI hopeful"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would like to ask Forum members their opinion about a purchase I am about to make.

Here are the specifics:

Looking at the new car values I have seen posted here, I feel I am about to make a mistake.

Thank you
"GTI hopeful"
If by "fleet" it means rental car or company car I would stay away from it.

cdokmeci

Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
It appears to be the dealer car.

What do you think about the price jimlloyd? Do you think I can negotiate a new car for about say $1000 or $2000 more?

Would that be a better deal?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

What do you think about the price jimlloyd? Do you think I can negotiate a new car for about say $1000 or $2000 more?

The price doesn't look too bad. It was the fleet thing that scared me. It still has a VW warranty doesn't it? Used car prices are high right now but if you can get a little more knocked off the price great.

And welcome to the forum.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL

Welcome to the forum.

Personally, I would be cautious about buying any type of fleet car, whether it be dealer/loaner, government, rental, company car, etc. People tend to not give a crap about these as they rarely have any personal stake in them.

Now is also a very rough time to negotiate with dealers due to the extreme lack of inventory. Can a good deal be had? Possibly. But it’s going to take some work/knowledge on your part.

Like Jim said, used car prices are high right now. If I were you, I would either wait it out or try my hardest to find a new one. You probably won’t get a smoking deal, but at least you won’t get stuck with an overpriced used car that has probably been beaten on.

What part of New Mexico are you in? How far are you willing to travel to get a car? Are you in desperate need of a car right now? Are you trading something in? What’s your budget? How’s your credit? Are you able to walk into a dealership and pull the trigger that day? How experienced/comfortable are you in negotiating a car deal?

All of these could play a factor in how well you’re able to negotiate the price of a new car.

Also, keep in mind, places like Carmax, Carvana, etc have the “no haggle” price business model because they know people fear going to a traditional dealership and getting taken to the cleaners. They have their car prices set at “reasonable, market value” prices, but that by no means makes them the lowest/best deal you can get.

Sorry for the novel.

cdokmeci

Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
That was a great write up!
Essentially summarizing many factors that affected how I ended up looking for a car. I live in Albuquerque and work in a busy academic hospital setting and due to many commitments, research, outpatient and inpatient clinics, have great time constraints. Hence CarMax became an appealing choice.

No trade ins and my budget is about $25k plus fees. Can't travel for a car (did not take time off for the past 2 years due to work schedule). Will take time off this year but if I tell my better half that I will be using my time off to look for a car...I think I will end up regretting the conversation.

And I would think my credit score would not be bad. I am planning to go to the dealer and offer $26k for a new GTI S, MT. No negotiation skills: I will tell them what I can pay and also show them proof that I have a car in transit as of now; essentially the truth. And see what happens I guess.

Now I am worried about the "fleet" aspect, that I initially thought was not a big deal. But both of you are correct, this is going to be a long term vehicle for me.

If you were in my shoes, would you call the deal off and write of $484? I am thinking about doing that after what I hear.

And thx for great insight! Started to enjoy the forum already!!!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That was a great write up!
Essentially summarizing many factors that affected how I ended up looking for a car. I live in Albuquerque and work in a busy academic hospital setting and due to many commitments, research, outpatient and inpatient clinics, have great time constraints. Hence CarMax became an appealing choice.

No trade ins and my budget is about $25k plus fees. Can't travel for a car (did not take time off for the past 2 years due to work schedule). Will take time off this year but if I tell my better half that I will be using my time off to look for a car...I think I will end up regretting the conversation.

And I would think my credit score would not be bad. I am planning to go to the dealer and offer $26k for a new GTI S, MT. No negotiation skills: I will tell them what I can pay and also show them proof that I have a car in transit as of now; essentially the truth. And see what happens I guess.

Now I am worried about the "fleet" aspect, that I initially thought was not a big deal. But both of you are correct, this is going to be a long term vehicle for me.

If you were in my shoes, would you call the deal off and write of $484? I am thinking about doing that after what I hear.

And thx for great insight! Started to enjoy the forum already!!!
Get an explanation for the fleet thing. If it's satisfactory make a counter offer. Can you get the $484 back based on the answer to the fleet question?

cdokmeci

Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
Will do!. Probably that money is gone. I think it was a dealer demo or service loaner, but not sure.

Would any of the Forum members by any chance know a dealer that can ship a new GTI S, MT to Abq for something like $26k + fees?

If anyone do, would you let me know?

Best!

spaceworm

Passed Driver's Ed

Here are the specifics:

Thank you
"GTI hopeful"
You are buying at the peak of the market, so your intuition is correct. If you really really need a car now, then do it and move on, you are just overpaying 20%, so around 4k spread around 4-5 years is not the end of the world. If you have the cash or good financing (1.9-2.9) and you like the car then enjoy it.

Do pay for a good PPI at a VW indy because carmax/shift/vroom/carvana are not properly reconditioning or checking these cars out due to the heavy volume they are moving. For ex. Carvana took my 30k bmw X2 in 10 minutes, without even starting the engine.

Re the fleet branding, I've gotten some good deals leasing bmw fleet loaner/demos but those go back to the bank at the end of the contract so not worried about it long term. But if I was purchasing I would definitely go over the car to verify it was not abused, modified or has heavy wear. Get a carfax and see if you get any additional info about the fleet note.

Last edited: