GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

Flippy

Ready to race!
Hey all, so I got quotes from a few dealers near me( outside philly) for a manual white SE with experience package for around 28100 sale price. What would be a good price to counter with? 26k? There are a lot of this trim and color near me so I’m not worried about my color and trim option becoming unavailable.

$26k seems a bit of a reach but new incentives are a day away so that could change things. I'm struggling to get the dealers in SoCal to get under $29.5k for the same vehicle but with a DSG.

I imagine there will be an updated post regarding those tomorrow or the next day.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
$26k seems a bit of a reach but new incentives are a day away so that could change things. I'm struggling to get the dealers in SoCal to get under $29.5k for the same vehicle but with a DSG.

I imagine there will be an updated post regarding those tomorrow or the next day.
Taxes are like 10% in LA. $29,500 OTD is like $26,500 before taxes.
Always declare if you are including taxes or not when talking car prices or otherwise everyone is confused.

Flippy

Ready to race!
Always declare if you are including taxes or not when talking car prices or otherwise everyone is confused.

He said $28100 was "sale price" not OTD, so I assumed it was safe that I didn't need to clarify.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

The other hose job in California (unless something has changed recently) is that if you trade something in, you don't get an offset to the sales tax on the new car. In Arizona, trade in a $20k car towards a $30k car, and you only pay sales tax on the difference - $10k. A lot of other states do this too. This can be a HUGE factor in deciding whether to trade or sell privately.

Flippy

Ready to race!
The other hose job in California (unless something has changed recently) is that if you trade something in, you don't get an offset to the sales tax on the new car. In Arizona, trade in a $20k car towards a $30k car, and you only pay sales tax on the difference - $10k. A lot of other states do this too. This can be a HUGE factor in deciding whether to trade or sell privately.

Yep, California sucks like that. The one good thing though is doc fees are capped at $85. If you look at JohnnySoup's deal from AZ a few posts back, his doc fee was over $500. I'm from AZ originally and considered purchasing something out there but it seemed more of a hassle than anything.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Anyone getting a 2020 MY? I wonder when those will be available.

Kirbyrp

What is the MSRP of the vehicle and does your sale price include TTL or other fees charged by the dealer. Its difficult to rate your deal without the complete information.

Also are you aware of the stalling issue in 2019 manual GTIs.
My bad that was without tax, dmv or doc fee. The MSRP is 34,099 and the OTD quote from that dealer was 30,438. I have since gotten a few quotes today around 28,500 OTD. Apparently they received new lower pricing for this month.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
My bad that was without tax, dmv or doc fee. The MSRP is 34,099 and the OTD quote from that dealer was 30,438. I have since gotten a few quotes today around 28,500 OTD. Apparently they received new lower pricing for this month.
Definitely be patient and wait for the lower pricing. My '17 SE was listed at 26,500 after incentives when I got it.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

$8k off MSRP is a great deal and i dont think it would get any better. I highly doubt if its going to get any better over time.

Definitely be patient and wait for the lower pricing. My '17 SE was listed at 26,500 after incentives when I got it.

Do you think the discount will get drastically better than $8k.

There has been an increase in MSRP from 2017 to 2019. Also dealers were trying to get rid of 2017s as VW was introducing People warranty for 2018. Current scenario is the exact opposite as the warranty is going down for 2020s.

Last edited:

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
$8k off MSRP is a great deal and i dont think it would get any better. I highly doubt if its going to get any better over time.

Do you think the discount will get drastically better than $8k.

There has been an increase in MSRP from 2017 to 2019. Also dealers were trying to get rid of 2017s as VW was introducing People warranty for 2018. Current scenario is the exact opposite as the warranty is going down for 2020s.
That's my bad. I read OPs comment as they were "receiving" new lower prices this month. 28k OTD is definitely not bad especially if it's coming with the PF warranty.

dev.null.vw

What is the MSRP of the vehicle and does your sale price include TTL or other fees charged by the dealer. Its difficult to rate your deal without the complete information.

Also are you aware of the stalling issue in 2019 manual GTIs.
I am not aware of this issue. What is it? Do you have a link to it handy?

Flippy

Ready to race!
Picked up a 2019 DSG White Silver SE w/ Experience Package and the following options: Homelink Mirror, Monster Mats, cargo net, heavy duty trunk liner & CarGo block, wheel locks, & the 10k & 20k VW Care Service package.

Sale Price was $29,200 + $85 doc fee + TTL

Sale price was originally $28,910 but I fucked up and let my SCCA membership lapse a couple months prior so I wasn't able to get the partner program. They ended up knocking a couple hundred off the price to help offset this but totally I shit the bed on that. Lesson is, make sure to be an SCCA member for at least a month before making the purchase. Apparently VW is cracking down on this.

Also had an offer for $28,650 (including Partner Program discount) but due to how they went about things with bait and switch tactics and financing shenanigans, they lost my business. They tried to save the deal with an offer of $28,350 but at that point I wasn't giving a nickel to that dealer's GM.

I ended up paying more but the entire process was smooth, straight forward and almost even enjoyable. Really enjoying the car but I do miss the steering wheel on my MK6.

BigBilly

I was quoted $22,850 otd for a 2017 GTI S with the manual and 40 total miles on it. It’s listed as used too, is that something to be worried about?

Also, is this a good deal?

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I was quoted $22,850 otd for a 2017 GTI S with the manual and 40 total miles on it. It’s listed as used too, is that something to be worried about?
I had something similar happen with a Tiguan Sport that I bought a couple years ago. I thought it was brand new (had 100 miles on it), but the dealer had "punched the ticket for it" 6 months prior and it was supposed to be a service loaner vehicle. So it looked like it was sold and because of that the warranty had already started when they punched the ticket, although it was never titled. No one drove/used it as a service vehicle though.
I thought I was buying a brand new car, which it sort of was, but it was actually sold me to as a used car since they had showed it sold (to the dealer) already. They added the CPO warranty though and that extended it another 2yrs/24k miles or whatever.....but still, in hindsight, they should've knocked more off the price since it was sold to me as a "used car." Although it was new, it wasn't in VW's eyes since they sold it to the service department kind of deal.

In your case, it kind of sounds like the same scenario. Have them CPO it for the extra warranty, and see if you can get the price down a little bit too.
You might wanna add the selling price too, of the car itself, since we don't know the taxes/fees situation in your state.