Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
My readiness is good to go😁.

readiness.jpg

Nickmk7

Car(s)
mk7.5 GTI SE
Out of curiosity, does that built in spacer have a full open hole into the pipe, or does it reduce it a little to limit the flow?
The reason I ask is because I bought the Ultimate Racing 400 Cell catted downpipe (I will install when weather improves), and I opted for the one without the spacer built in. My reasoning was that by purchasing the straight, and J Vibrant spacer, I now have every combination of flow rate (4 different diameter options), and spacer type, so I can make sure that I get proper flow to prevent the CE light from coming on, and to allow the Readiness indicators to set.
All that said, based on my research, I was thinking of starting out with the straight spacer and the medium sized insert, and see what happens.
Thoughts?
It doesn't reduce no, I would say you should have good luck with a straight spacer medium sized. Sidenote the downpipe sounds very good.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It doesn't reduce no, I would say you should have good luck with a straight spacer medium sized. Sidenote the downpipe sounds very good.
Thanks! I can't wait to install it. One more question...
Once the UR downpipe is installed, is it easy to reach the O2 sensor, so I can remove it to change the orifice sizes if necessary?
I have a lift, so I can reach from bottom if it's easier.

Nickmk7

Car(s)
mk7.5 GTI SE
Thanks! I can't wait to install it. One more question...
Once the UR downpipe is installed, is it easy to reach the O2 sensor, so I can remove it to change the orifice sizes if necessary?
I have a lift, so I can reach from bottom if it's easier.
I did it in the driveway at midnight in 30 degree weather on jack stands. I reckon you'll have a breeze doing it on a lift. I put the sensor on before I installed the dp. It is easily accessible from under the car. I didn't try through the engine bay. I wish you luck getting the stock dp out haha

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I did it in the driveway at midnight in 30 degree weather on jack stands. I reckon you'll have a breeze doing it on a lift. I put the sensor on before I installed the dp. It is easily accessible from under the car. I didn't try through the engine bay. I wish you luck getting the stock dp out haha
Hahaha thanks. Yeah, I am expecting to fight with it. I watched a few videos of people doing the swap, and every single one had to fight with the stock DP to get it out.
Did the flange have enough clearance to the cross brace under the car? I have seen a few guys that said they had a rattle, and had to put a few washers as spacers, so the flange didn't hit and cause a rattle.
Does everyone run into that, or is it just some of the guys?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hahaha thanks. Yeah, I am expecting to fight with it. I watched a few videos of people doing the swap, and every single one had to fight with the stock DP to get it out.
Did the flange have enough clearance to the cross brace under the car? I have seen a few guys that said they had a rattle, and had to put a few washers as spacers, so the flange didn't hit and cause a rattle.

I’ve heard that report from everyone with that downpipe.

“you get what you pay for” -George Washington, probably.

Nickmk7

Car(s)
mk7.5 GTI SE
I didn't have any rattles. Aftermarket downpipe has plenty of clearance.

Sparky589

Go Kart Champion
Was able to snag a Vibrant 11619 fairly cheap off Ebay despite the discontinue, probably some vendor just trying to offload whatever stock they still had left. Now that there's a good tuning solution for running the GTI hpfp out there on the 1.8's I'm interested in switching up from my APR stage 2 tune that so thoughtfully disabled the emissions tracking in the first place. Wasn't troubled with the prospect of swapping downpipes, but dealing with flashing back to stock with an 'incompatible' hpfp is a slightly less desirable alternative. Either way wouldn't have to worry about smogging until 2024, but I'd rather get my hands on a spacer now than give the EPA more time to keep cracking down on these things.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Was able to snag a Vibrant 11619 fairly cheap off Ebay despite the discontinue, probably some vendor just trying to offload whatever stock they still had left. Now that there's a good tuning solution for running the GTI hpfp out there on the 1.8's I'm interested in switching up from my APR stage 2 tune that so thoughtfully disabled the emissions tracking in the first place. Wasn't troubled with the prospect of swapping downpipes, but dealing with flashing back to stock with an 'incompatible' hpfp is a slightly less desirable alternative. Either way wouldn't have to worry about smogging until 2024, but I'd rather get my hands on a spacer now than give the EPA more time to keep cracking down on these things.
I purchased both the straight and the J-pipe Vibrant spacer for the same reason. They were hard to find, so I figured I would buy both so I can always have every situation covered.
I bought them both off of E-bay, it was the only place I could find them. The straight was about $25, and the J was $65. I felt like I over paid for the J, but figured it was worth it if I can prevent future headaches.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Update:
I'm happy to report that the install was SUPER EASY and actually fun (I have a lift though). I expected to fight with the stock downpipe, but I guess I got lucky, and the way I rotated it, it me no resistance at all! It came right out.
However, I don't have the PP on my car (I know it's harder with that differential), and I also removed the axle shield (white shield with 2 bolts).
I'm also happy to report that with the Ultimate Racing 400 cell ceramic cat DP, and the vibrant straight spacer and medium restrictor, I was able to clear ALL of the emissions monitors!
And it achieved the readiness while running a JB4 Map6 tune. I wasn't sure if I had to use the stock Map0, but I guess not!

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Some o2 spacers,

Here's a clone from a US seller,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Style-O2-Oxygen-Sensor-Fitting-w-Adjustable-Gas-Flow-Inserts-11619-SS/184286763861?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item2ae858db55:g:qQ4AAOSw1VReuACX&amdata=enc:AQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickk8Fd9si%2FIbtWQr%2BhnlRwjDSlshqQ1T38nu%2FQLPLivEEtO%2FUeujLNEoaIKCnkfpv0%2FXKw1NoSWTyYMUl0yFDLmdlyspEUrEtkXl4qt7r%2BJ7m11WQfU80yxK22R1gEerd1o5R0peb09avJtSIDOWJOOmVb1trJaKKpfJnfMGT7niF3VxsxngLmRKzV6a2wSMrVeH6k7gb2lErb86TnYLefHnQYvZE81UQFcuXqscbF17qVWxsD8AJMfai9NhJWzrbI%2FErl%2Bqmz0kIeTFsUE8DyjjBaRUaIcDWPJYoZRm75T%2BHnOewRz%2BcbLSDQOP3AwJol2lldqdsKJz048etpR5WAytQI0sW213wUUWWTj8176CeIFinUmfhMNrbFGXqE4yoGVsFhOIZVxX7MECX9eRfOfXax3ytyt7gP8m2TyPGwEkIZq6BeaW10ulI4cpBko5mkdLrU5calwzf2NEUQy6XLZ30liheVtxZBtbko%2BoV%2Betubf0gQ7eEiQDkko59x0TQbhvU30BrpX9c88MKqLsV0DteG0k7TJsKiab1aOU81VL8GSM9nXjrCGazIADEHgHdnnT%2FnMEhVQ2B3cKwjYrgJ7YumqA7Ow8jpvIFbCjH6B%2BHnUP%2BVWQGUaMQrXvt1WHCkUHrdms9hth6S2SV5y9%2B3Cjm1ixINwkJ5elLhjLMyVd%2FEVkD2ZqnqK5MvDFXaO0hqB%2BG1Zu383V6EmQnbD5%2BsGIab4N05OCXoF8%2FCvv9dwPJuJLvu8w2qdLsY2efTV8dbALeTebrP6FBTXZ5NBIScnig%3D%3D|cksum:184286763861030b0dcc5a9947d2b5d2365fc53a462c|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2334524

Actual Vibrant one at triple the price,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibrant-Pe...656393&hash=item1ab112925c:g:2pYAAOSwuldgB695

Vibrant straight,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibrant-11...ting-Adjustable-Gas-Flow-Inserts/263197417072

Clone of the straight,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O2-Oxygen-Sensor-Restrictor-Fitting-with-Adjustable-Gas-Flow-Inserts-Cel-Fix/163262945441?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20201210111314&meid=e813fdde297c40879a828e5ed8663c30&pid=101195&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=254233945681&itm=163262945441&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv9PairwiseUnbiasedWeb&brand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S
Somewhat related question - Is a 22mm wrench good enough, or does one need an o2 socket to remove the o2 sensor with the a DP installed and the bung located flange side? Got everything in today but my straight vibrant clone (Thanks for the link @Chogokin!) and might do my DP install this afternoon or tomorrow. Need to pick up a 22mm wrench or socket as my limited kit is without one at the moment, and I might as well see if I get lucky without the spacer first (That or maybe I just want to install this DP already). :ROFLMAO:

Figure a wrench would be more multi purpose, but O'Reilly has a pretty decent kit with 3/8th dive 7/8"/22mm deep socket, crowfoot and deep crowfoot for 30 bucks if I need to go that way.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...swagen/golf-sportwagen?q=22mm+o2+socket&pos=0

Edit: Looks like the kit doesn't have slots for the sensor wire. Is a deep socket still a concern with the wire, or can the wire be removed at all?

Pic of bung for refence:
1615070869450.png

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Somewhat related question - Is a 22mm wrench good enough, or does one need an o2 socket to remove the o2 sensor with the a DP installed and the bung located flange side? Got everything in today but my straight vibrant clone (Thanks for the link @Chogokin!) and might do my DP install this afternoon or tomorrow. Need to pick up a 22mm wrench or socket as my limited kit is without one at the moment, and I might as well see if I get lucky without the spacer first (That or maybe I just want to install this DP already). :ROFLMAO:

Figure a wrench would be more multi purpose, but O'Reilly has a pretty decent kit with 3/8th dive 7/8"/22mm deep socket, crowfoot and deep crowfoot for 30 bucks if I need to go that way.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...swagen/golf-sportwagen?q=22mm+o2+socket&pos=0

Edit: Looks like the kit doesn't have slots for the sensor wire. Is a deep socket still a concern with the wire, or can the wire be removed at all?

Pic of bung for refence:
View attachment 205491

22mm wrench can work, it’s just easier with a o2 socket.

Regular deep won’t work, the wire can’t be removed.

I have two different styles of o2 sockets and prefer the crows foot style

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S
22mm wrench can work, it’s just easier with a o2 socket.

Regular deep won’t work, the wire can’t be removed.

I have two different styles of o2 sockets and prefer the crows foot style
Alright, think I'll pick up a slotted crows foot just in case along with a decent 22mm wrench to cover all my bases. Thanks for the info Jake!