GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The noise in the front right wheel (bushing?)

GolfWagenTDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5 2.0 GT TDI
Hi all,

I drive a VW Golf mk7 1.6 TDI (UK version - right-hand drive - thus I turn right on roundabouts lol).

The other day I was entering a roundabout (rather quickly) and noticed that as I accelerated while turning right there was a noise coming out of the right front wheel - sort of knocking like (imagine knocking metal on metal every 1 second). As I have exited the roundabout the noise disappeared. This is the second time I've heard this noise in the last 6 months - in both cases, my driving was above average (a bit aggressive - although without a wheel spin). Is it possible that bushing needs replacement?

GolfWagenTDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5 2.0 GT TDI
Outer cv joint going bad probably?
Hi goni,

Thanks. Always a way to educate myself on what it is that you have mentioned...

1632390343057.png

Is outer cv joint called "bushing"?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
If it’s a worn CV joint, then you should be able to reproduce the sound by turning the steering wheel right on full lock and driving the car slowly (try it in both forward gears and reverse). A worn CV joint will produce a clicking or knocking sound as the wheel and CV joint rotate. You could also do a visual check to see if the ribbed rubber CV boot is damaged or split - if so, it‘s likely to have allowed dirt to enter the CV joint, causing it to wear, and the lubricating grease that’s packed inside the CV boot to escape.

GolfWagenTDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5 2.0 GT TDI
If it’s a worn CV joint, then you should be able to reproduce the sound by turning the steering wheel right on full lock and driving the car slowly (try it in both forward gears and reverse). A worn CV joint will produce a clicking or knocking sound as the wheel and CV joint rotate. You could also do a visual check to see if the ribbed rubber CV boot is damaged or split - if so, it‘s likely to have allowed dirt to enter the CV joint, causing it to wear, and the lubricating grease that’s packed inside the CV boot to escape.
Hi,

I have tried and followed your instructions but couldn't replicate this noise at all. Interestingly, I was able to hear it again when the anti-slide/skid system engaged at a roundabout in heavy rain. I have also turned my wheel all the way right and inspected the rubber and could not see any issues or leaks.

Also, sometimes I hear it only in the morning (and only once when I turn right and up the little hill (maybe 20 degrees gradient)) - any thoughts?