GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Next Car Swap

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
set up properly. and this is the average from just like a day or two so far. my GTI averaged 24 for years. This car gets better mileage than the GTI. Because I had to drive the GTI at fult tilt to get the same power I can get in the WRX at half throttle.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
oh dang.

yeah, always manually calculate MPG.. cannot trust those computer dealies.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
dat seat protector video, doe.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
set up properly. and this is the average from just like a day or two so far. my GTI averaged 24 for years. This car gets better mileage than the GTI. Because I had to drive the GTI at fult tilt to get the same power I can get in the WRX at half throttle.

That comment seems odd to me. Considering you complain about a ton of traffic in your area, I have to assume you aren't smoking the tires or are shifting at red line to get those 26 mpgs. If you are driving at the lower end of the rev range wouldn't the stage 2 gti feel quicker than your WRX? A stage 2 gti has more low end torque than the wrx and should give you more umph up until around 4k RPM. The gti is also slightly lighter than the wrx. Maybe I am missing something but something just seems odd to me about your post.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
That comment seems odd to me. Considering you complain about a ton of traffic in your area, I have to assume you aren't smoking the tires or are shifting at red line to get those 26 mpgs. If you are driving at the lower end of the rev range wouldn't the stage 2 gti feel quicker than your WRX? A stage 2 gti has more low end torque than the wrx and should give you more umph up until around 4k RPM. The gti is also slightly lighter than the wrx. Maybe I am missing something but something just seems odd to me about your post.

This whole MPG thing is all over the board. He doesn't a gauge on it yet and is generalizing random facts.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion

:)

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Dude said it was loud on the freeway?! Is this true?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Dude said it was loud on the freeway?! Is this true?

They don't have a lot of sound insulation. They are a bit louder than my mk6 was.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
They don't have a lot of sound insulation. They are a bit louder than my mk6 was.

How about the mk7? is it quieter than the 6 or nah?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
How about the mk7? is it quieter than the 6 or nah?

Definitely quieter but not by much. But that sound maker is louder. Going to disconnect it soon. Lol

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
i just got confirmation the Cobb tuning does fix the rev hang. so thats a reason to get it if nothing else. rumors are it only gives like 20hp gain, but if you add a Bren Tuning file to your cobb instead, it can gain 40-50hp. But then its like your paying twice.. once for the device, and then another company to send you a map online.

One guys quote:

Actually it does that too, almost forgot. I want the Cobb AP mainly for drivability, the smoother throttle/boost schedule, and rev hang fix, more than for more power.

Another guys quote:

If you want more power, Bren Tuning offers e-tunes or dyno tunes with the Cobb AP. They're averaging around 40-50hp and 50-60tq on a 100% stock WRX with just the tune.

The Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune isn't worth that much, like 10-15hp from what I've read. Custom tune from Bren seems to be the way to go, or a dyno tune.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Why tune it? Do you feel like it doesn't have enough power ? 40-50 hp... would being that tiny 2.0 to over 300hp... can the rest of the car handle it? Transmission/clutch?