GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The new EQT V2.51 Maps

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Got my update. I must say, the power delivery is much smoother and feels way more refined. Well worth the 25 bucks. Now I'm just waiting for their $100 off special on TCU tunes.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Got my update. I must say, the power delivery is much smoother and feels way more refined. Well worth the 25 bucks. Now I'm just waiting for their $100 off special on TCU tunes.

It's worth paying the extra $100 to not have to wait.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I was hesitant to try 2.51 due to some of the comments in this thread but I seem to be fine. Flashed on Saturday and only drove about 20 miles since. Noticed the first gear surge is gone and power delivery is smoother. I have the DSG tune as well.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
1620164396071.png

Agray

Go Kart Champion
I'm a noob when it comes to alternative fuels and I'm kicking around the idea of the new e85 tunes to run when I'd like a little more oomph.

Can someone help me understand the science behind how ethanol fuels work? I see that the is20 is still making around the same amount of boost on e85 as 93 so I'm curious how exactly this substantial amount of added power over the already potent pump gas tunes is being made... I understand it's pay to play but I'm planning to keep the car until it quits so if the consensus is that full ethanol tunes are really pushing everything to the limit, I'll probably stay away.

Options:
  • To do full E85, I'd have to buy that tune ($225), a HPFP ($350), and update my 93 tune for when ethanol isn't available ($75) Total= $650
  • The alternative is to do an is38 on 93 once the staged is38 tunes come out. Total=$1200ish depending on the price of the is38 tune.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I'm a noob when it comes to alternative fuels and I'm kicking around the idea of the new e85 tunes to run when I'd like a little more oomph.

Can someone help me understand the science behind how ethanol fuels work? I see that the is20 is still making around the same amount of boost on e85 as 93 so I'm curious how exactly this substantial amount of added power over the already potent pump gas tunes is being made... I understand it's pay to play but I'm planning to keep the car until it quits so if the consensus is that full ethanol tunes are really pushing everything to the limit, I'll probably stay away.

Options:
  • To do full E85, I'd have to buy that tune ($225), a HPFP ($350), and update my 93 tune for when ethanol isn't available ($75) Total= $650
  • The alternative is to do an is38 on 93 once the staged is38 tunes come out. Total=$1200ish depending on the price of the is38 tune.
you increase power by either turning up boost or timing (or both). ethanol allows for more timing. at least that's what i've heard from the wizards

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Options:
E85 is essentially cheap race gas. It has a very high octane as well as a major cooling effect. This allows us to run more timing to make up power that is lost with pump fuel which is knock limited. On big turbo cars this also allows us to run more boost, but our stock turbo tunes run the same boost profiles regardless.

-- Ed

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Alright, I've had a chance to let the car acclimate to the new 2.51 update and I gotta say, it's what I imagine the kids call a 'fire tune'

The small changes feel great and the car loves it. Feels much smoother down low and the power feels like it comes on much stronger.
I know a bit difference since it was manual tweaks to a custom tune, but the changes are legit and I want to very much thank ED for offering continued support and tune updates at the very very good prices.

One concern I had when first getting the custom tune and EQT turbo, was that as EQT progressed in their knowledge and ability in tuning VW platform cars, I would be stuck on older knowledge and settings that weren't ideal. Being able to pay a small fee for 2 years in a row to update with the latest advancements is such an amazing thing and well beyond anything I've experienced with other tuners on other platforms.

Last edited:

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Alright, I've had a chance to let the car acclimate to the new 2.51 update and I gotta say, it's what I imagine the kids call a 'fire tune'

The small changes feel great and the car loves it. Feels much smoother down low and the power feels like it comes on much stronger.
I know a bit difference since it was manual tweaks to a custom tune, but the changes are legit and I want to very much thank ED for offering continued support and tune updates at the very very good prices.

One concern I had when first getting the custom tune and EQT turbo, was that as EQT progressed in their knowledge and ability in tuning VW platform cars, I would be stuck on older knowledge and settings that weren't ideal. Being able to pay a small fee for 2 years in a row to update with the latest advancements is such an amazing thing and well beyond anything I've experienced with other tuners on other platforms.
Lucky you, I am stuck on an old Cobb format so cannot upgrade to v2.51.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Lucky you, I am stuck on an old Cobb format so cannot upgrade to v2.51.
How’d that happen? Is your AP old enough to no longer be supported by Cobb for new updates?

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
How’d that happen? Is your AP old enough to no longer be supported by Cobb for new updates?
That is what I am being told by Ed. In order to update I need another custom tune as it would not be worth it. Unfortunate to say the least.