GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The mystery of the disappearing coolant... again!

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
66k; 3/8 inch low, no leak topped off
9C932593-B65B-4C4A-B0CB-4064B611461A.jpeg

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
This car did have thermostat replace at 30k, warranty so I check housing and remove skid plate every other oil change to confirm no leaks

Attachments

• 12F04675-F19B-4A29-B57E-B469682145A3.jpeg
    12F04675-F19B-4A29-B57E-B469682145A3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
I see something like dried milk right over the midway point outside of the overflow canister. Probably came out the cap at some point.
So, how does this overflow canister cap work? Does the radiator get so hot it expands enough to overflow?
Could it have been due to the angle of vehicle on a road, g-forces, loose cap?
Had an experienced shop owner who did oil change specifically check around water pump/thermostat housing and engine compartment from top and bottom, removed the skid plate- confirmed no sign of leaking coolant there...
Hmmm.
Wary as I've had a thermostat housing replaced due leak under warranty-known problem and apparently new oem parts are no different...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So, how does this overflow canister cap work? Does the radiator get so hot it expands enough to overflow?
Could it have been due to the angle of vehicle on a road, g-forces, loose cap?
Had an experienced shop owner who did oil change specifically check around water pump/thermostat housing and engine compartment from top and bottom, removed the skid plate- confirmed no sign of leaking coolant there...
Hmmm.
Wary as I've had a thermostat housing replaced due leak under warranty-known problem and apparently new oem parts are no different...

Yes if the coolant gets too hot it overflows the canister. There is a line coming out of the back of the canister.