GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Model 3 ruined my life

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I researched Tesla's. The negative comments outweighed everything else. The most egregious ones involved crash parts, service, and customer support. It's a car for wealthy people with at least one more car to drive while it's in the shop. Unless things have changed, they won't sell you any parts, so once you're out of warranty, make sure you have a wallet full of cash when you need service. Go to YouTube and search on Rich Rebuilds. He's one of the few who understands how the company and their cars work.

That guys half full of shit. I watched a video where he was basically bashing everything about his experience trying to buy a used Tesla. It was very clear to me that he had little knowledge of automotive sales practices. Most you tubers are just out there flapping there gums so people will watch the shit anyway... I mean a guy can make a vid of him watching another vid and get 800k views :LOL:

OP you got any pics of this rig?

inc55

Go Kart Champion
That guys half full of shit. I watched a video where he was basically bashing everything about his experience trying to buy a used Tesla. It was very clear to me that he had little knowledge of automotive sales practices. Most you tubers are just out there flapping there gums so people will watch the shit anyway... I mean a guy can make a vid of him watching another vid and get 800k views :LOL:

OP you got any pics of this rig?

Attachments

• IMG_6769.jpeg
    IMG_6769.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 316

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Looks real nice... I was thinking about taking a job with Tesla recently, but the starting pay not really where I wanted it to be. My buddy is a manager now in Tempe. (y)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There are two battery developments being worked on - really, really fast charging, and batteries that won't self-destruct if shorted. One other issue is range, once they can increase power density and lighten the batteries you'll see many more electrics. Maybe then economies of scale will bring the prices down to where they should be. The only other problem is there are not enough charging stations. Even the Superchargers are a joke, because they can only accommodate a very small amount of vehicles at a time.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
One other issue is range, once they can increase power density and lighten the batteries you'll see many more electrics. Maybe then economies of scale will bring the prices down to where they should be. The only other problem is there are not enough charging stations. Even the Superchargers are a joke, because they can only accommodate a very small amount of vehicles at a time.

.. but the VAST majority of EV charges take place at their home, overnight. The truth is that a lot of charge points don't get used much because people just don't travel far enough to need to charge anywhere other than at home.

EV uptake will rocket in the UK next year as the zero BIK tax rate kicks in. They'll be essentially free as company cars, and since the majority of company cars are given to people who simply commute daily as a perk, this will be a no brainer for most (those with a driveway, at least), and a big saving on the £3-5k a year in tax they're paying at the moment.

Don't believe the haters, the lifetime running cost of literally ANY EV is comfortably lower than an equivalent ICE car even if you can't rely on the charging being ultra cheap for ever, and the lifetime environmental impact (CO2, energy, particulates, pretty much any metric you can think of) of ANY EV in its worst case scenario is better than the best case scenario for an ultra-modern, ultra clean ICE car. And the EV will be twice as quick for free. You just have to put up with stopping on long journeys to charge every so often, and we'd all agree that there's definitely plenty of scope to improve that experience, there's just not enough of them and they're just not reliable enough, yet. And yes, faster charging will be a big win too. The balance of driving:charging times needs to be well beyond 4:1 to be comfortable. i.e. when you can drive for 4 hours on a charge, then refill in an hour, that's getting to where you need to be. That needs to be around 300 miles range on the motorway and charging at around 150kw. Lots of Tesla model 3s on the road can do exactly this, today.

The price of an EV is still higher than ICE cars that's very true, though new models are bringing prices down. In some respects you're paying up front for the savings you'll get down the line. Perhaps this encourages people to invest in a car and keep it longer? ; you'll only really realise the savings if you keep the car for longer periods of time. No more swapping cars every two/three years??

I like the fact that this is disrupting what was essentially a cosy cartel of ICE car manufacturers who had zero incentive to improve the product they sold. It needed disrupting.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
Spot on for the MASSIVE carbon foot print both in production and future disposition of the batteries...… also spot on on for coal burning power generation....

All said, I like EV's a lot and having experienced Ludicrous mode, its pretty damn fun, albeit if you drive the car that way it consumes the battery in and equally ludicrous manner.

Vdub is working hard on EV's, we may see one VERY soon.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Spot on for the MASSIVE carbon foot print both in production and future disposition of the batteries...… also spot on on for coal burning power generation....

Except that isn't actually true.

Coal is dying, no matter what measures this administration does to delay that death.

The environmental impact of extracting fossil fuels is always ignored when people compare battery mining vs burning fuels. Gasoline doesn't magically appear at your gas station.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Except that isn't actually true.

Coal is dying, no matter what measures this administration does to delay that death.

The environmental impact of extracting fossil fuels is always ignored when people compare battery mining vs burning fuels. Gasoline doesn't magically appear at your gas station.

There's also the environmental impact of producing the electricity to charge those batteries.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There's also the environmental impact of producing the electricity to charge those batteries.

And coal is dying, being replaced by more environmentally friendly energy production that's cheaper. JEA just lowered prices because the of the large solar farm they just opened. It's crazy that every roof in Florida, AZ, NM, Texas , Calif, etc...aren't covered in solar panels.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And coal is dying, being replaced by more environmentally friendly energy production that's cheaper. JEA just lowered prices because the of the large solar farm they just opened. It's crazy that every roof in Florida, AZ, NM, Texas , Calif, etc...aren't covered in solar panels.

I agree And there should be more wind farms also.