GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The MKVII Mid-Atlantic Spotted Thread (NoVa/DC/MD/DE)

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I took my young sons over to Skyline Drive last Thursday in my 4Runner. About 70 miles into the ride (105 mile road), I'm going down a steep grade, not a soul around me, speed limit is 35. What looks to be a white work truck passes me going the other way, then lights up like a Christmas tree and does a whip-around. JFC.

He gave me a warning for 51 in a 35. That is the first time I've ever only gotten a warning in Virginia, and I'm guessing it's because it was federal land and so not really Virginia. I swear I cannot get through that state without being pulled over. It's like clockwork. What a stressful, terrible way to have to live. I have two speeding tickets on my driving record: Sperryville VA and Stafford VA. They always get me in the last couple of feet of a ridiculously low speed zone coming out of a town.

I just need to stop going to Virginia.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!

I hear that! I am the same way, which oftentimes pisses off my friends when they want to go somewhere.

Below is my list of places i will flat-out refuse to drive in.

Because of speed & rigged red-light cameras:
Frederick, MD
Howard County, MD
Montgomery County, MD
Downtown Laurel, MD
Most downtown parts of Baltimore City

Nazi-terrorist cops who pull you over for anything:
Charles Town, WV
Fredericksburg, VA
Harford County, MD
Skyline Drive, VA (pretty drive but 35 is a BS speed limit which ruins the drive entirely)
Ocean City, MD

If i absolutely must drive through these areas i'll drive like a grandma or have someone else drive their car.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
FYI, if you run Waze on your phone (in MD, soon on android auto), it marks all the speed camera locations, and warns you when you are getting near one.

(I'm in moco so know that pain). not as bad as college park though, the judges won't let you even challenge the cameras there...

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Waze is a great app, especially if you live in a location where people update often. Saved me a few times I can tell you that much.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I hear that! I am the same way, which oftentimes pisses off my friends when they want to go somewhere.

Below is my list of places i will flat-out refuse to drive in.

Because of speed & rigged red-light cameras:

Frederick, MD

Howard County, MD

Montgomery County, MD

Downtown Laurel, MD

Most downtown parts of Baltimore City

Nazi-terrorist cops who pull you over for anything:

Charles Town, WV

Fredericksburg, VA

Harford County, MD

Skyline Drive, VA (pretty drive but 35 is a BS speed limit which ruins the drive entirely)

Ocean City, MD

If i absolutely must drive through these areas i'll drive like a grandma or have someone else drive their car.

Montgomery co. is worse than my area. I once got a photo ticket, because of that was I apperently exceed 10+ over the SCHOOL speed limit at 2 PM, not to mention, it was Sunday, and what kind of schools are open on that day? Such bullshit. Where I live it's not that bad, but it's worse than driving in most places for sure. Also a good friend of mine, works at a company that if he gets 1 ticket, he will lose his job, it's not a government job, but it is construction building company, and yet they somehow do that, especially when he works at the office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lokerola

Ready to race!
I took my young sons over to Skyline Drive last Thursday in my 4Runner. About 70 miles into the ride (105 mile road), I'm going down a steep grade, not a soul around me, speed limit is 35. What looks to be a white work truck passes me going the other way, then lights up like a Christmas tree and does a whip-around. JFC.

He gave me a warning for 51 in a 35. That is the first time I've ever only gotten a warning in Virginia, and I'm guessing it's because it was federal land and so not really Virginia. I swear I cannot get through that state without being pulled over. It's like clockwork. What a stressful, terrible way to have to live. I have two speeding tickets on my driving record: Sperryville VA and Stafford VA. They always get me in the last couple of feet of a ridiculously low speed zone coming out of a town.

Good thing you got off on a warning. They've gotten pretty serious about enforcing speed limits on Skyline Drive. Back the 80's we used to drive there and take it a rather fast pace. But now the traffic is a lot worse, and there are a lot of reckless and just plain stupid drivers, so I can't really blame the feds/LEOs for wanting to keep things slow. There are a lot of cyclists too and that causes a lot of issues with speeding and auto traffic crossing the double yellow. Being a cyclist myself, I get freaked out by cars flying by a silly speeds giving me no room at all. And there are nasty drop offs on a lot of corners on Skyline. Not that I'm saying you were being reckless, 35mph is super slow on some sections of Skyline, but I can see why they try and enforce the limits there.

Virginia can be shitty to drive in for sure. I haven't gotten a ticket in years here in Virginia but my stomach does a nose dive any time I see a cop. It's like "hmmm...was I going fast enough to go to jail today?"

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
I'm a longtime Waze user (crowned King) but it still didn't save me from a red-light camera in Fredneck last year.

Oh and yea, MoCo I avoid also if at all possible. Hitler-Nazi cameras and cops are what you get when you elect a bunch of liberal douchebags to run your county. Too bad AA just went blue with the election so it might start enacting the same policies that ruined MoCo, HoCo and most of NoVA.

And no I'm not conservative, full independent who believes gov't shouldn't run our lives.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I'm a longtime Waze user (crowned King) but it still didn't save me from a red-light camera in Fredneck last year.

Oh and yea, MoCo I avoid also if at all possible. Hitler-Nazi cameras and cops are what you get when you elect a bunch of liberal douchebags to run your county. Too bad AA just went blue with the election so it might start enacting the same policies that ruined MoCo, HoCo and most of NoVA.

And no I'm not conservative, full independent who believes gov't shouldn't run our lives.

How in the hell are we supposed to feed illegal immigrants and house the unemployed (and stopped trying) if we don't have revenue? Now please, get back to work and pay your damn taxes!

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I saw a limestone grey R whip a u-turn on very busy Independence Ave at rush hour this morning in front of the Library of Congress. Dude was older than me, and I'm 45. He had just dropped off his wife. I lol'ed at Evel Knievel.

armedferret

Ready to race!
I saw a limestone grey R whip a u-turn on very busy Independence Ave at rush hour this morning in front of the Library of Congress. Dude was older than me, and I'm 45. He had just dropped off his wife. I lol'ed at Evel Knievel.

Damn, that's a brass set if ever I heard of one.

AmericanEnthusiast

Passed Driver's Ed
Just picked up a black 2017 GTI SE with lighting package. Karen radley rear plate border. Give me a wave if you see me in the NoVA area! New GTI owner and already floored by the performance of it. Glad to be a part of this community too.