GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The first time you fell in love...with a GTI.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
A few years back I got in my buddies MK7 and im like "Dude you have plaid seats?!?! Im getting a car like this someday!"
I ended up buying a '15 SE about 18 months ago. I love everything about it, I didnt get the plaid seats though haha
I did that too. Then I bought another with plaid seats because clearly it was a mistake not to the first time.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
I've owned Honda's all my life, but I decided to test drive a MK6 GTI a few years ago after hearing so many good things about them. That test drive just around the block sold me lol. The handling, power, and practicality made me a believer in this platform as the best daily driver. It also doesn't hurt that these cars have a huge aftermarket and respond very well to simple bolts-ons. I now proudly own a MK7 GTI.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I used to tease my ex wife when she had a Golf TDI because she thought the style looked great and thought my 16 Veloster Turbo looked like crap. I told her that her Golf looked like a refrigerator on its side with wheels. I have an 18 GTI now. :eek:

The Veloster looks good........................from one side. It's like a woman with a hot body, but a so so face.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm so regretting not getting the DSG now. The 6spd is better for autocross and more fun to track, but having to think about clutch and crank walk issues takes a little bit of wind out of the old sails.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
"Love"? That's a bit much for a jumped up hatchback, and especially with FWD. I like it, of course - but to love a car it would have to be something way more exciting or unique.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
"Love"? That's a bit much for a jumped up hatchback, and especially with FWD.

Yet you throw gobs of money at her, as indicated by your signature line, which is longer than your anti-love rant. Pro tip: if you don't love her now, throwing gobs of money at her won't make you love her later. Nor change the fact that she's FWD.

dawooj

Passed Driver's Ed
I started noticing Golfs/GTIs when I had an opportunity to travel to Europe for work around '09. Manual (diesel) hatchbacks are common there for a reason, and realized the utility and versatility of them. They're considered to be mid-size family cars there and appealed to my "less is more" side.

I fell in love when I test drove a manual MK6 Golf TDI. Debated getting a GTI over a TDI (really wanted a GTD, but never made it to US), but gas was pricey then and I had a long commute. 6 yrs later, traded it in for a MK7 GTI Sport (gotta have the plaid seats) and I still enjoy it. Best all-around jack of all trades car I've owned.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Yet you throw gobs of money at her, as indicated by your signature line, which is longer than your anti-love rant. Pro tip: if you don't love her now, throwing gobs of money at her won't make you love her later. Nor change the fact that she's FWD.

You seem upset.

Edit: I just noticed you also somehow omitted half of what I said from your quote: "I like it, of course - but to love a car it would have to be something way more exciting or unique. " - I'm sure you didn't do that intentionally, just to try and make me seem hypocritical. So, I'll give you a pass and we can chalk that up as accidental due to you being so upset.

There's a whole spectrum between "Love" and "Hate" or whatever you're on about. It isn't one or the other. I said very clearly I like it. "Love" is simply too strong a word for it.

Last edited:

Vobs56

Ready to race!
I first started noticing the GTI with the MK4 version. I have family that live in Germany and I have a cousin who is really into GTIs. A lot of it is cultural being German and loving German vehicles. I started wanting one around 07-08 with the W12 Concept GTI and introduction of the R32. I became more intrigued with owning one with the amount of accolades it was receiving in car mags (i.e. Car and Driver 10Best), including being a huge Top Gear fan and watching Clarkson's positive reviews. The breadth of tuning options was also a huge plus. Purchased one just over 2 years ago (my first GTI).

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
When I got my 2003 MK4 1.8T.

I almost bought a 2003 20th AE Imola Yellow last weekend because I really want to re-live that car, but I'm really happy with my MK7, and I don't need a smaller older version of the same car.

We have 3 cars but If anything, I need to find something that's AWD for after the virus mutates and we all have to run to the mountains. :p

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I don't have some "I've wanted one since o was a kid!" story. It was about a year ago. A buddy, who's always been a GTI fan, let me drive his stage 1 MK6. I had a Nissan Altima at the time.

Within a month, the Altima was traded in and I got myself an MK7. It just felt like driving a car stuck in molasses.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You seem upset.

Edit: I just noticed you also somehow omitted half of what I said from your quote: "I like it, of course - but to love a car it would have to be something way more exciting or unique. " - I'm sure you didn't do that intentionally, just to try and make me seem hypocritical. So, I'll give you a pass and we can chalk that up as accidental due to you being so upset.

There's a whole spectrum between "Love" and "Hate" or whatever you're on about. It isn't one or the other. I said very clearly I like it. "Love" is simply too strong a word for it.

Perfect response. Love is too strong a word for it.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Perfect response. Love is too strong a word for it.

Right? It's a good car, and the "gobs" (3ish grand is gobs?) of money used modding it made it better, but it's never going to inspire love. Love is probably what guys with 911 gt3s feel. Or guys who restored something classic and special.