GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The exhaustive what tire (conti) to buy?

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Well I know there are a ton of threads on tires, but I am strictly concerned with Continental tires. I am looking to get a new set 235/40/R18 for my daily driven stage 1 GTI (JB1). I have a dedicated set of winters (WS80 on 16" steelys); however, since I live in NE the weather changes in the spring/fall at a moments notice and is never consistent.

With that being said, I am not sure whether or not to go max performance A/S (DWS 06) or strictly summer tires. I haven't found many reviews for Conti's summer tires on the forums. The issue is the random temp swings which happen frequently. In the fall it will go down to a 30 high on a moments notice in September and then back up to 40-60 again for a month before it will be time to throw the winter tires on. For example, it was 60 for the last two days and then snow today. I am also concerned with the very low tread-life on the summer tires which I read can be very low for Conti's summer tires (TireRack).

Anyways...suggestions, go! :)

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Well I know there are a ton of threads on tires, but I am strictly concerned with Continental tires. I am looking to get a new set 235/40/R18 for my stage 1 GTI (JB1). I have a dedicated set of winters (WS80 on 16" steelys); however, since I live in NE the weather changes in the spring/fall at a moments notice and is never consistent.

With that being said, I am not sure whether or not to go max performance A/S (DWS 06) or strictly summer tires. I haven't found many reviews for Conti's summer tires on the forums. The issue is the random temp swings which happen frequently. In the fall it will go down to a 30 high on a moments notice in September and then back up to 40-60 again for a month before it will be time to throw the winter tires on. For example, it was 60 for the last two days and then snow today. I am also concerned with the very low tread-life on the summer tires which I read can be very low for Conti's summer tires (TireRack).

Anyways...suggestions, go! :)

Options

1. Run winter tires not as long and buy the all season tires which will handle weather changes.

2. Run winter tires longer and buy summer tires for after the last freeze warning period. In Tennessee it is April 15th. This plan could add more wear to a winter tire if temps warm early.

I would do option 2. Enjoy summer tires and extend the limits of the car.
Summer tires make a base GTI drive even much better.

All this depends on how you drive. If sporty - go summer. You only live once.

armedferret

Ready to race!
If it's a car you drive frequently (if not daily) I would stick with A/S. Some summer performance tires work in the wet, but many don't work WELL in the wet. And the cold swings can bring on a whole other beast as well.

Probably best to stick to the A/S given the climate. (and assuming you aren't willing to run the winters longer, as covered above--if you are, do what he said :D)

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Options

1. Run winter tires not as long and buy the all season tires which will handle weather changes.

2. Run winter tires longer and buy summer tires for after the last freeze warning period. In Tennessee it is April 15th. This plan could add more wear to a winter tire if temps warm early.

I would do option 2. Enjoy summer tires and extend the limits of the car.
Summer tires make a base GTI drive even much better.

All this depends on how you drive. If sporty - go summer. You only live once.

It is my daily driver (the only car I own). Any suggestions on which conti summer tires to run? What about my other concern about tread-wear on the summer? What mileage can I expect?

Also, doesn't really change anything you said as it just means to run winter tires longer, but the toughest decision is when to put the winter tires on in the fall. Since we can have cold spouts in September, but it may be quick and you really don't need winter on until November.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
I live in Canada and we have the craziest weather patterns. I run a dedicated summer tire and winter tire. Pilot super sports to be exact. Once it gets to be consistently around 7 or 8c they go on. First week of April is usually safe for me. There is nothing better than a good set of tires.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
If it's a car you drive frequently (if not daily) I would stick with A/S. Some summer performance tires work in the wet, but many don't work WELL in the wet. And the cold swings can bring on a whole other beast as well.

Probably best to stick to the A/S given the climate. (and assuming you aren't willing to run the winters longer, as covered above--if you are, do what he said :D)

I drive a Bridgestone RE-11 and in the rain they work much better than expected. Better than my OE all seasons.
Now as they wear and grooves get lower, this will be the test on heavy rain.

Last edited:

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!

armedferret

Ready to race!
I drive a Bridgestone RE-11 and in the rain they work much better than expected. Better than mu OE all seasons.
Now as they wear and grooves get lower, this will be the test on heavy rain.

Oh there's certainly options out there that work great in wet as well. By and large, the tendency is that they don't. Outliers are always going to exist, and excellent choice on the RE-11. :)

jtitocci

Ready to race!
I'm in NYC, and travel daily to Long Island, so I know your temp/weather swings well. (as i look outside at the snow)

I've been running Conti DWS 06's year round, first on my Jetta, and now on the GTI. I've had them since Jan of 2016, and they have about 15k miles on them. Aside from abnormal wear from bad Camber on the front of my Jetta, they look brand new. I would probably say these are an easy 50k mile tire, assuming you don't abuse them. My Jetta was a TDI, so it wasn't abusing much, just a good DD. They have pulled me through snow, rain, everything, without so much as an afterthought.

Sure a dedicated winter/summer set up would be better, but I've never stayed home due to weather and these tires.

I am however, switching over to a dedicated summer tire, as we speak, but will probably keep my DWS's as my winters, until they are worn, or until I move to SoCal (Which is actually my intention).

elamothe15

Ready to race!
The new Conti ExtremeContact Sport is now the Michelin PSS's equal in terms of response and grip, with the benefits of better NVH qualities and treadlife it seems.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4456/TESTED-Continental-Tire-ExtremeContact-Sport.aspx

I just bought a set to replace my worn DW's, and will have them mounted this weekend. I can already tell just by look and feel that the new ECS is much more sporty than the outgoing DW.

Hm...yes I did just come across the ExtremeContact Sports and they look a good option. They have a better tread-wear and a 30k warranty in comparison to other Conti summer tires and the PSS. At the same price as the DWS and with my dedicated winters this may be the route to go. A few reviews on TireRack (a 2011 GTI) also did mention good wet traction, with as my DD is probably only of my biggest concerns with the dedicated summers

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...YR8ECSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
225/40 is a better size for 18x7.5/8 wheels, because the sidewall will be preloaded a little and will enhance sterring response. Per Billy Johnson's recommendation, you should match the tread width to the wheel width or aim for .5" narrower treadwidth.

You'll get a marginally softer ride with 235s, but gain a little ultimate grip maybe. They'll also throw your speedo off by 1% or so.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Oh there's certainly options out there that work great in wet as well. By and large, the tendency is that they don't. Outliers are always going to exist, and excellent choice on the RE-11. :)

I expected my summer tires to not do well in rain.
The first heavy rain I went out to push car to see how bad.
To my surprise the RE-11's held better in rain than my Bridgestone OE RE-97 tires did in the dry.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
It is my daily driver (the only car I own). Any suggestions on which conti summer tires to run? What about my other concern about tread-wear on the summer? What mileage can I expect?

Also, doesn't really change anything you said as it just means to run winter tires longer, but the toughest decision is when to put the winter tires on in the fall. Since we can have cold spouts in September, but it may be quick and you really don't need winter on until November.

Where you live I would go off the Farmers Almanac.
When is first frost deadline? When is last frost deadline?
Make the switch then and less worry.
You will never predict the weather.

mkygod

Ready to race!
225/40 is a better size for 18x7.5/8 wheels, because the sidewall will be preloaded a little and will enhance sterring response. Per Billy Johnson's recommendation, you should match the tread width to the wheel width or aim for .5" narrower treadwidth.

You'll get a marginally softer ride with 235s, but gain a little ultimate grip maybe. They'll also throw your speedo off by 1% or so.

you get a softer ride going with wider tires and your speedo will be off despite having the same diameter tires? That's news to me.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
you get a softer ride going with wider tires and your speedo will be off despite having the same diameter tires? That's news to me.

Surprisingly yes!

Tire sizes are just reference, not absolute. The exact spec varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Tire rack has a special tool that measures the actual tread width on the tires they sell. 225/40 for the MPSS is 8.1 and 7.6 for the Conti ECS, so 225/40 Contis is perfect fitment for 18x8 wheels. If you've got 235/40 (8.5" tread width) MPSS on stock 18x7.5 Austin's then you've dulled your steering a bit compared to a 225/40.

235s are both wider and taller than 225, use willitfit to see for yourself.

If you read the article I linked, there's a great guide for optimum tire fitment.
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

Pic of my new Conti ECS on RSE12s:
This is perfect fitment, and I'm glad I didn't upsize for 235s

Last edited: