GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Definitive Rev Hang Thread (Mk7 & MT focused)

Rev hang, yes or no? Choose your year and model.

• I notice little or no rev hang, Golf or GSW (FWD)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
Thanks for this.

I’m not sure why, but I thought of this last night as I was driving home and tried it out.

It made a big difference for me, especially when I was kinda getting on it. I guess I hadn’t been doing this, and the throttle was blipping up for a split second right as I was clutching and exacerbating my rev hang.

This advice had helped eliminate that throttle blip and smoothed out my shifts considerably.

Thanks again.
Glad to hear.

I have been satisfied with the approach of revving above 3000 RPM on the 2nd and 3rd gear shift. But driving around town, can't really do the same for 4th, 5th, and 6th due to speed limits. :) So for the rest of the gears, I'm still sitting around, coasting in neutral while waiting for the revs to drop, cursing the existence of rev hang....

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Glad to hear.

I have been satisfied with the approach of revving above 3000 RPM on the 2nd and 3rd gear shift. But driving around town, can't really do the same for 4th, 5th, and 6th due to speed limits. :) So for the rest of the gears, I'm still sitting around, coasting in neutral while waiting for the revs to drop, cursing the existence of rev hang....
I’ve tried the rev above 3000 RPM trick (only twice though because I’m still under 1,000 miles), but rev hang seems the same. Maybe once I get some more miles on the engine I can try it while really getting on it.

And, weirdly enough, I don’t notice the rev hang near as much beyond 3rd gear. Especially when using the advice mentioned above.

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
It's entirely possible the ECU programming is different between my car (2018 Alltrack) and the 2021 GTI. The gear ratio differences get smaller as you go up in the gears, so it does become less noticeable for that reason.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
It's entirely possible the ECU programming is different between my car (2018 Alltrack) and the 2021 GTI. The gear ratio differences get smaller as you go up in the gears, so it does become less noticeable for that reason.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I watched a review on YouTube of a 2020 GTI and the rev hang was so bad, he would be shifting at 4000 or 5000 and the rpms would just hang there forever. It seemed worse than ours from a few years earlier.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
My SMFW is finally all broken in nice and cozy in its bell shaped house and I can confirm that with a 16lb flywheel the rev hangs are drastically reduced if not gone in some situations. I find myself shifting with one finger in traffic and not notching it anymore. Stomping on the throttle at night, some of the notchiness is of course there during speed shifts, however.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
My SMFW is finally all broken in nice and cozy in its bell shaped house and I can confirm that with a 16lb flywheel the rev hangs are drastically reduced if not gone in some situations. I find myself shifting with one finger in traffic and not notching it anymore. Stomping on the throttle at night, some of the notchiness is of course there during speed shifts, however.
With the A/C running it falls harder than Biden walking up a set of stairs

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
With the A/C running it falls harder than Biden walking up a set of stairs
With the A/C running getting into 1st is significantly sloppier than with a dmfw. Car wants to launch, stall or chew the clutch. Only tiny regret so far. Also be careful with that kind of talk, you may get canceled by the Covid thread denizens. 🤣

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
On a related note, this is the first I've heard of this: "APR's Motorsport No-Lift Shift is an optional feature that allows the driver to maximize acceleration by reducing power, boost and time lost during a gear change. With the vehicle above 20 km/h and the accelerator pedal held above 98%, during a gear change, the strategy activates. The throttle remains open and boost pressure is not vented, resulting in more power immediately after a shift. This is achieved using a "clean," catalytic converter safe, strategy, while the ECU automatically sets the appropriate time necessary for a torque intervention, allowing proper syncro alignment. No end user adjustment is necessary. The driver simply focuses on shifting as fast as possible! This feature is for manual transmissions only." https://www.goapr.com/blog/post/apr_motorsport_launch_limiter_and_motorsport_no-lift_shift/

Looks like it's a $50 add-on to an APR tune. Not sure if it's available for all tunes/engines.
Video says for the R

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Cobb has this R/GTI/GLI. Free option with any EQT tune.

I highly recommend NOT getting NLS with your tune. I don't care what APR says about it. Ed (EQT) put that option in my protune and I tried it. The first time it went smooth but then the second and third time I tried it, my clutch and transmission wanted nothing to do with it. It sounded horrible trying to get it to work and since it puts a lot of stress on the transmission, I will never use it again.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’m still too afraid to try mine tbh

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I don't think I could get past the mindfuck of being WOT and taking it out of gear. That alone has been enough to keep me away from NLS lol

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
If you have a WOT box would it bork or override software based NLS?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I watched a review on YouTube of a 2020 GTI and the rev hang was so bad, he would be shifting at 4000 or 5000 and the rpms would just hang there forever. It seemed worse than ours from a few years earlier.
Yikes, just watched that. My '18 6MT does not do this whatsoever, even when it was stock. I wonder if it's some update to the ECU in later model years.