GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Definitive Rev Hang Thread (Mk7 & MT focused)

Rev hang, yes or no? Choose your year and model.

• I notice little or no rev hang, Golf or GSW (FWD)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
Where I live, there are lot of hills, trying to shift up the hill when engine is cold is kind of a chore...you loose momentum quickly going up, gear change occurs just in time when the tach needle drops and then turbo lag kills it further...Meanwhile mom in a minivan behind me is waving hands and cursing :)
Yep, I have felt the same. Going up a hill you should definitely rev above 3000 or even 4000, which will reduce the hang and let you shift faster; also you'll be in a higher RPM in the next gear so you won't bog the engine as much.

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
I'd be hesitant to draw anything meaningful from the data size around here, especially when personal opinion comes into play. What we should be asking is "Would you purchase a rev-hang ECU tune if available, and at what price?"

COBBs response seems to suggest they did not think there was interest in such a product:
View attachment 210352
Good point. I think I'll leave this poll up for a week or so, complile the numbers, then I'll follow your suggestion. And thanks for checking with COBB. I'm also wondering about the "protune" that @JerseyDrew77 mentioned. Wondering whether you have heard of anyone who has used VCDS or coding to reduce rev hang. Any coding experts out there?

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, but once we get enough responses we can compare the ratios. For example, MY 2018-2020 has a ratio of rev hang vs no rev hang of 3, whereas MY 2015-17 has a ratio of 1.6. That would suggest the problem is worse in the later years.

The poll feature is very limited. Only one question and 10 distinct answers allowed, so that's why I did it that way. I will look into setting up a Google poll or SurveyMonkey to get a better picture.

No worries man. I wasn't trying to bash the poll, but rather bashing the less analytical folks who'll jump to conclusions with a dunning-krugar like effect

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Audi coding does not do a thing, as far as I can tell. It definitely does not affect rev hang, I’m not sure if it does anything at all. And to think obdeleven is charging people for this 😂

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
The only times I've really noticed rev hang was in bumper to bumper traffic and waiting for 2nd gear to give me engine braking, but invariably have to brake and clutch instead. All other times, I guess I had adjusted by doing what others have already mentioned and have no issues with it otherwise. I will say that since EQT stage1 OTS, the 1 to 2 shifts feel frenetic compared to before, which is awesome and how it should have been from the factory. Not sure if this means they tuned out rev hang or not.

Audi coding does not do a thing, as far as I can tell. It definitely does not affect rev hang, I’m not sure if it does anything at all. And to think obdeleven is charging people for this 😂

I vaguely remember the Audi coding was for people that did the throttle adjustment coding and found their ACC no longer working. It was suppose to fix this issue.

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
On a related note, this is the first I've heard of this: "APR's Motorsport No-Lift Shift is an optional feature that allows the driver to maximize acceleration by reducing power, boost and time lost during a gear change. With the vehicle above 20 km/h and the accelerator pedal held above 98%, during a gear change, the strategy activates. The throttle remains open and boost pressure is not vented, resulting in more power immediately after a shift. This is achieved using a "clean," catalytic converter safe, strategy, while the ECU automatically sets the appropriate time necessary for a torque intervention, allowing proper syncro alignment. No end user adjustment is necessary. The driver simply focuses on shifting as fast as possible! This feature is for manual transmissions only." https://www.goapr.com/blog/post/apr_motorsport_launch_limiter_and_motorsport_no-lift_shift/

Looks like it's a $50 add-on to an APR tune. Not sure if it's available for all tunes/engines.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
On a related note, this is the first I've heard of this: "APR's Motorsport No-Lift Shift is an optional feature that allows the driver to maximize acceleration by reducing power, boost and time lost during a gear change. With the vehicle above 20 km/h and the accelerator pedal held above 98%, during a gear change, the strategy activates. The throttle remains open and boost pressure is not vented, resulting in more power immediately after a shift. This is achieved using a "clean," catalytic converter safe, strategy, while the ECU automatically sets the appropriate time necessary for a torque intervention, allowing proper syncro alignment. No end user adjustment is necessary. The driver simply focuses on shifting as fast as possible! This feature is for manual transmissions only." https://www.goapr.com/blog/post/apr_motorsport_launch_limiter_and_motorsport_no-lift_shift/

Looks like it's a $50 add-on to an APR tune. Not sure if it's available for all tunes/engines.
I think for NLS to work you gotta be full tilt into the throttle. Ask me how I know 😂
(Destroyed intake manifold on a NLS over rev just shy of a floored throttle)

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’m currently breaking in a ACT single mass flywheel clutch and so far the rev hang from 1 to 2 is drastically improved but I now notice it in higher gears where I didn’t before. The car is running stock map. Will retune to stage 2 EQT after a couple hundred more miles to really hammer the throttle and see how it’s improved.

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
I think for NLS to work you gotta be full tilt into the throttle. Ask me how I know 😂
Oh, yikes. I didn't think about that....
I’m currently breaking in a ACT single mass flywheel clutch and so far the rev hang from 1 to 2 is drastically improved but I now notice it in higher gears where I didn’t before. The car is running stock map. Will retune to stage 2 EQT after a couple hundred more miles to really hammer the throttle and see how it’s improved.
Huh. That is weird. Let us know how it behaves after retuning.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
YUP! Ive noticed that too on NLS when tried it! You gotta be FULL committed with that gas pedal or the second you touch the clutch the revs FLY

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
YUP! Ive noticed that too on NLS when tried it! You gotta be FULL committed with that gas pedal or the second you touch the clutch the revs FLY
I wonder if Cobb FFS can have the thresholds lowered 🤔

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
So when you floor it, how does it work? It sounds like when you depress clutch pedal it cuts fuel enough to allow rev matching without taking your foot off the gas pedal, but preserves some boost. Do you find shifting at WOT is easier with NLS?

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Ensure your foot is completely off the gas before depressing the clutch. Even a little pause between might be worth trying.
Thanks for this.

I’m not sure why, but I thought of this last night as I was driving home and tried it out.

It made a big difference for me, especially when I was kinda getting on it. I guess I hadn’t been doing this, and the throttle was blipping up for a split second right as I was clutching and exacerbating my rev hang.

This advice had helped eliminate that throttle blip and smoothed out my shifts considerably.

Thanks again.