GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Definitive Rev Hang Thread (Mk7 & MT focused)

Rev hang, yes or no? Choose your year and model.

• I notice little or no rev hang, Golf or GSW (FWD)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
I haven't had issue with it, but that's not because it isn't there, just that I've adjusted my shifting style when I'm in the car.

I think most people are aware of the mechanical changes that can be made, and the thread posted is excellent for that (changing mounts/dogbone insert is best change anyone can do to make shifting better IMO), but some rev hang delay still remains electronically even after all 6mt mods (and yes, I've done all mechanical changes).

So yea, I'm super curious about if ANY of the OTS tunes out there (EQT, UNI, UM, APR, etc) have coded out the ECU/electronic component of rev-hang.

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
This topic is nothing new and has already been discussed plenty of times. This thread will provide you with some answers...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-make-a-mk7-6mt-suck-less.349809/
Thanks, but see the first post of this thread. This thread is about rev hang only. Not other things that can improve shifting.
I haven't had issue with it, but that's not because it isn't there, just that I've adjusted my shifting style when I'm in the car.

I think most people are aware of the mechanical changes that can be made, and the thread posted is excellent for that (changing mounts/dogbone insert is best change anyone can do to make shifting better IMO), but some rev hang delay still remains electronically even after all 6mt mods (and yes, I've done all mechanical changes).

So yea, I'm super curious about if ANY of the OTS tunes out there (EQT, UNI, UM, APR, etc) have coded out the ECU/electronic component of rev-hang.
Yep. If we could present a couple of dozen of people who are very interested in tuning, a tuner might be interested. I think a lot of us would be willing to pay some money for a MT ECU tune to minimize or eliminate rev-hang.

I think the first step is pinpointing if it's certain models or if it's Mk7-wide. Reminder to please post at least your MY and model when adding your rev hang experience here.

I'll go first: 2018 Alltrack SE, 6MT, SULEV II emissions classification. Also, I have an APR IS20 tune, which did not change rev hang.

EDIT: added a poll to the thread, select the two answers that apply (model year and model name).

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Thanks, but see the first post of this thread. This thread is about rev hang only. Not other things that can improve shifting.

Yep. If we could present a couple of dozen of people who are very interested in tuning, a tuner might be interested. I think a lot of us would be willing to pay some money for a MT ECU tune to minimize or eliminate rev-hang.

I think the first step is pinpointing if it's certain models or if it's Mk7-wide. Reminder to please post at least your MY and model when adding your rev hang experience here.

I'll go first: 2018 Alltrack SE, 6MT, SULEV II emissions classification. Also, I have an APR IS20 tune, which did not change rev hang.
Sign me up as well! Done most of the major upgrades and car is currently getting a SMFW installed, though I suspect it’ll only help a little.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Solving the mechanical issues with the MT is part of it and then a protune solves the rest. I don't have it anymore which makes quick shifts so much better.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I don't see this issue at all with my R. I drive with my windows down and AC off so much that when I do turn the AC on it takes me a little to adjust because the rpms fall faster than I'm used to. I end up being slightly behind on the throttle when the clutch grabs. It was pretty obvious on my mk6, at least before I got a smfw installed, but not so much on this car.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I don't see this issue at all with my R. I drive with my windows down and AC off so much that when I do turn the AC on it takes me a little to adjust because the rpms fall faster than I'm used to. I end up being slightly behind on the throttle when the clutch grabs. It was pretty obvious on my mk6, at least before I got a smfw installed, but not so much on this car.
Same thing happens to me during the summer lol

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Solving the mechanical issues with the MT is part of it and then a protune solves the rest. I don't have it anymore which makes quick shifts so much better.
Good to hear a protune fixes it. Which one did you get?

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
If we could present a couple of dozen of people who are very interested in tuning, a tuner might be interested. I think a lot of us would be willing to pay some money for a MT ECU tune to minimize or eliminate rev-hang.
Yup, I would not hesitate to give a donation to someone to do a bit of research and develop something. If it’s already solved by certain tunes then that’s awesome. I want to see video proof though 😂 Since it’s kind of a subjective thing. We’ll see if I can hold out until my warranty expires.

Something I might try today is the Audi coding with obdeleven to see if it does anything.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
This poll data is a bit ambiguous, because it's not a controlled environment where the population is divided evenly across the years and models.

So when you see the xyz option getting the most votes, all it may mean is that there are the most members on this forum with that year/model.

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
This poll data is a bit ambiguous, because it's not a controlled environment where the population is divided evenly across the years and models.

So when you see the xyz option getting the most votes, all it may mean is that there are the most members on this forum with that year/model.
Yes, but once we get enough responses we can compare the ratios. For example, MY 2018-2020 has a ratio of rev hang vs no rev hang of 3, whereas MY 2015-17 has a ratio of 1.6. That would suggest the problem is worse in the later years.

The poll feature is very limited. Only one question and 10 distinct answers allowed, so that's why I did it that way. I will look into setting up a Google poll or SurveyMonkey to get a better picture.

gbar

Ready to race!
I'd be hesitant to draw anything meaningful from the data size around here, especially when personal opinion comes into play. What we should be asking is "Would you purchase a rev-hang ECU tune if available, and at what price?"

COBBs response seems to suggest they did not think there was interest in such a product:
1618439876994.png

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I notice it, but I'm not really bothered by it. The only time I really even think about it is when I drive my older truck that has no rev hang and notice how much easier it is to shift that truck than the Golf.

My previous Crosstrek had it extra bad and I think I got used to shifting that car so the Golf wasn't too bad to get used to.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
It’s really annoying when trying to trap a good 0-60, or racing against your friends from a stop.