GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The definitive dashcam thread

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Anyone know if a company makes a power adapter that a dashcam could use from the auto dimming homelink mirrors some might have?

Similar to this?
https://dongar.tech/collections/adapters
Doesn't look like it'd be hard to build. Just need to confirm our mirror is 12v.

One issue though is if the camera has a standby mode, I believe the mirror is on an accessory leg, so it only powers with ignition turned on.

If the camera only has to function while driving- no parking mode, it would be easy to do. Confirming the mirror is 12v now, then just need to confirm the mates for the connectors if interested.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
I had a KD Links camera. It was a bit big, with a suction cup mount. Worked well and did its job but I recently replaced it with a Garmin mini 2. Not very impressed. The power cuts out over bumps, it has connection issues, and the quality isn't any better than my previous camera. However, it is very small and easy to hide behind the rear view mirror.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I’m running a rexing V1P and can’t stand it. The hardware is fine and operates fine but the software/app is the absolute worst experience. I’m in the market for something else. Wanting to spend no more than $350. I’ve heard good things about the Viofo. Any other suggestions?

https://viofo.com/dash-cam/293-viof...ashcam-with-sony-starvis-2-imx678-sensor.html
V1P 3rd Gen? I love mine for the simplicity, and other than a weird issue I had a couple of years into ownership that was solved by a firmware update (pretty responsive tech support, which I found surprising for ran Amazon purchase), it has been solid. I don't use the app though since I feel like pulling one of those files wirelessly feels like it would take forever. I always just pop out the SD card and pull video that way. Obviously, that's not great if you were at the scene of an accident. I think my next one might be one of the Garmin offerings.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The Dride 4K says it's finally shipping. But the front only. Rear cam will come in another few months...

axsys

Car(s)
2016 GTI
I have a link in my sig for my hardwiring tips for anyone who needs it.

I’ve used A119 cams in both cars for 4+ years with basically no issues.

Recently traded my GTI in for an S4 and fortunately there is tappable power in the mirror so it makes it super clean and easy to install any front cam. I ended up finding one that doesn’t seem quite as good as the A119 but I’m happy to have it for the stealth look.
It’s by a company called FitCamX on Amazon. Not sure they make anything for certain VW models or not though.

View attachment 208358
Are you still using the FitCamX? I have been looking at adding one to my GTI, but there are not many reviews on Amazon for it. Any issues you've experienced in the last 2 years?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Are you still using the FitCamX? I have been looking at adding one to my GTI, but there are not many reviews on Amazon for it. Any issues you've experienced in the last 2 years?
I actually sold the car that had it a year ago in favor of an MK4 R32.

Just picked up a Spektrum and was looking at cams and saw the fitcam is offered for the platform.

My experience was fine, but only fine. The app available at the time was 3rd party and pretty janky. It seems like they have their own app now and the ratings are pretty terrible. Shame because it could be awesome combo if the software didn’t suck.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The Dride 4K says it's finally shipping. But the front only. Rear cam will come in another few months...

Ahahaha. Nearly two months later, still not shipping. Update two weeks ago said it would start shipping last Monday. Still hasn't happened...

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
My recommendation is the VIOFO A119 V3 or the A129 if you want front and back. You want the wedge cams that don't hang or rely on a hinge. All that cheap plastic stuff fails and it's best to avoid it.

I stole this list from reddit, it has been pretty spot on for a long time.

Best value (Solo Cam):
Best value Dual cams:
Premium Dual Cams:
Taxi/Uber Cam:

Last edited:

Chubby Bunny

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
My recommendation is the VIOFO A119 V3 or the A129 if you want front and back. You want the wedge cams that don't hang or rely on a hinge. All that cheap plastic stuff fails and it's best to avoid it.
I have both of these, A129 in GTI and A119 in my Palisade, they are both great. I do have some issues with the power glitching and I have to reset, thinking I am going to get an internal battery bay. But overall, great cameras and a good price

Reactions: the

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I've had the A119 v3 for about a year, would definitely recommend - up until a few weeks ago, it has started constantly power cycling. No identifiable rhyme or reason to it, sometimes it just turns off and then back on. I've been troubleshooting but no solution yet.

Other than that, for the price, features, video quality, ease of installation, etc., it's a great camera.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So. after about 18 months of delays, I finally got my Dride4K in.

1693749092861.png

Well, half of it at least. The rear cam will be sent separately, and won't arrive for probably another year. Considering they posted the 'Production finished, we've gotten all the units!' update on April 10th, and it took almost 5 months after that to actually get my camera in. And since I want a rear cam, I won't be taking out my Viofo T130 until that comes in.

Initial feedback from others who have gotten their camera is... not that good. Despite being 4K, the video quality is pretty close to ass.

Dride footage starts at about 2:10 in the video. But here's a zoom comparison between a different dashcam and the Dride:

1693749300549.png

1693749338539.png

Fucking yikes.

I plugged it into a USB wall outlet to play around with it, and wasn't super impressed. The app is kinda slow and annoying to use. But that can at least be improved over time. Hopefully it's functional next year when I get the rear cam in :ROFLMAO:

The camera itself uses a USB C cable for power. Initially they said it could be plugged into a USB port in your car for power (even calling it out in the instruction booklet), but have since gone back on that, stating you must hard wire it.

1693749665101.png

An update they posted on Indiegogo

1693749726205.png

They do give you the stuff to hard wire it included in the box. My guess is, many car built in USB ports and cigarette lighter USB power adapters don't provide enough power to the camera, so they just said "Yeah, you can't do that". I'm still going to grab a 12V 3A car USB adapter, and see if I can get it to work that way just to test it. I'm not going to hard wire 2 dash cams into my fuse box at the same time, but wouldn't mind playing around with it.