GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The definitive dashcam thread

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I have a Garmin 65W that I’ve had for a few months, I really like it. I decided I had to get one based on the way my fellow Massholes drive around here - aka insane. It has a 180 degree field of view which is pretty great, and it’s very compact. It also has a parking mode where it can start recording based on motion or a vibration when the car is off. You can configure what info you want it to overlay on the video: speed, GPS coord, time.

There’s the 66W out now which can do 4K (1440p) video.

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Damn dude, sucks the debris was dropped right front of you.

Crazy video though, I wonder what that person in the little car was doing. They were just drifting across the lanes.
They probably wanted to get to the right, but weren't able to due to traffic. Instead of being responsible and pulling to the left, they cruised along at 10mph until they saw an opening or caused an accident...

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I have a Garmin 65W that I’ve had for a few months, I really like it. I decided I had to get one based on the way my fellow Massholes drive around here - aka insane. It has a 180 degree field of view which is pretty great, and it’s very compact. It also has a parking mode where it can start recording based on motion or a vibration when the car is off. You can configure what info you want it to overlay on the video: speed, GPS coord, time.

There’s the 66W out now which can do 4K video.
Have this in the CRV. Love it!

It warns me of camera intersections that were newly installed by Surrey too not too long before I got the camera.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
This thread is a blessing and a curse. I have been wanting a dash cam for a little while now. I’m even more confused than I was because I never have heard of most of these.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
This may be an obvious silly question, but can these be mounted to the bottom portion of the windshield? I mean it is a dash cam, right? Might make wiring a lot cleaner and easier..

cb1111

This may be an obvious silly question, but can these be mounted to the bottom portion of the windshield? I mean it is a dash cam, right? Might make wiring a lot cleaner and easier..
poor vantage point
cant hide wiring

Funny story. About 6 or7 years ago, my organization decided to put dashcams in all the staff cars. They got some unit that also recorded the passenger compartment and they installed them right where the A pillar met the dash.

There was a great picture of the hood of the car and my nose hairs. They lasted for about 2 weeks before they decided to take them back out.

The dash is not a good place for a dash cam

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Been lazy and haven't installed my Aliexpress dashcam I got on deep discount. Picked up a front a rear model from DDPI:
http://en.ddpai.com/product/x/52.html

Reviews tend to point to the US app as being bad, but DDPI wants you to use the Chinese version and change the language anyhow to get the full features. Sample videos and reviews look like good quality and you get the wireless capture button, which is nice. Finally got my fuse taps in the mail so might wire it up this weekend and see how it performs.

Tornado18GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 GTI MT 12 GLI
Can't beat the BlackVue DR900S-2CH, paired with a Power Magic battery pack and a 4G modem.

4K front, 1080p rear.
No silly internal battery (uses a super capacitor instead).
Great night time vision.
Cloud connectivity with auto event uploading.
The list goes on....
You have any pics of where it is mounted? I'm interested in getting one of these...

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I have a link in my sig for my hardwiring tips for anyone who needs it.

I’ve used A119 cams in both cars for 4+ years with basically no issues.

Recently traded my GTI in for an S4 and fortunately there is tappable power in the mirror so it makes it super clean and easy to install any front cam. I ended up finding one that doesn’t seem quite as good as the A119 but I’m happy to have it for the stealth look.
It’s by a company called FitCamX on Amazon. Not sure they make anything for certain VW models or not though.

4E659A5A-74EB-427B-A1CE-D30EDFD8C6CB.jpeg

cb1111

What I haven't seen here is anyone using Invisicord or something similar to grab power from the mirror instead or running a cable. Is there a reason for that?

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Just finished installing the front cam for my Rexing V1P Pro tonight. Going to do the rear tomorrow. Has anyone run the cable for their rear straight through the center of the headliner instead of around the edges? Any reason you couldn’t do this? Also, anyone else that has an extremely long cable for the rear, what are you doing with all the slack? Like it seems you would only need about six feet or so to go down the center to the back but with a fifteen foot provided cable, that’s nine feet to just...shove into the headliner? Lol

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Just finished installing the front cam for my Rexing V1P Pro tonight. Going to do the rear tomorrow. Has anyone run the cable for their rear straight through the center of the headliner instead of around the edges? Any reason you couldn’t do this? Also, anyone else that has an extremely long cable for the rear, what are you doing with all the slack? Like it seems you would only need about six feet or so to go down the center to the back but with a fifteen foot provided cable, that’s nine feet to just...shove into the headliner? Lol
I routed the rear cam so it sits down low on the window. All the extra wiring is in the panel on the hatch.

sheldon902

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
I've been using a Viofo A119 V3. Super easy install and great quality. That's me after making sure everyone was ok. They were fine and the Fire dept were on the way.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    3 MB · Views: 181